ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Honors College

If you read the FAQs, RU considers a key component to the Honors College the residential arrangement where student from the different colleges live together and have an opportunity to collaborate, etc.

That is why they do not admit transfers into the Honors College. So, earning their way in would not satisfy the first year residency requirement of being an Honors College student.
Just seems like having multiple competing honors designations is a typical RU thing to do. The Honors College can do both.....accept and manage the HC students and also designate other students as honors-quality (just make up some other term). Pretty simple.

Was in NB yesterday midday... I noticed the honors college seems to have changed the walking patterns of students attending classes in the voorhees mall buildings.. Scott, Murray, Millerdoeller etc..

In ancient times everyone returned to College Ave to walk west back to the Brower/Student Center and dorms area... now they just walk thru the voorhees mall past Willie the Silent and across Seminary and through that "Holy Hill" area where the honors college sits.

I think this is a positive change because that mall area is very old-school looking.. classic.

Great observation, GOR. I saw an interview with one of the design partners where he mentioned that as part of the plan (connecting the campus).

Great observation, GOR. I saw an interview with one of the design partners where he mentioned that as part of the plan (connecting the campus).
it was actually difficult to drive up Seminary place during change of classes.. so many people crossing that street all over the place. While I miss the big trees they cut down on the Holy Hill side, it was nice to see it so lively.. being one of the nicer parts of the campuses.

I do not know if driving up Seminary is difficult more often than that.. but it is where you are guided to go when getting off Route 18 there.. so that might be a problem that needs to be looked at.. perhaps Seminar should be a pedestrian mall and traffic sent around it.... maybe build a big parking deck behind Murray....

Last edited:
As Night Shift points out, you can only get accepted to the Honors College out of high school, there is no option to transfer in. Based on the total number of undergrad students, it works out to approx 5% of the student body. Although it is not exclusively based on GPA and SAT scores, they are the primary driver for admission. Aside from the dorms and the living/learning community, which are incredible btw, the HC students seem to be given access to quite a bit more than the Honors programs.

Reactions: ruready07 and KevH
it was actually difficult to drive up Seminary place during change of classes.. so many people crossing that street all over the place. While I miss the big trees they cut down on the Holy Hill side, it was nice to see it so lively.. being one of the nicer parts of the campuses.

I do not know if driving up Seminary is difficult more often than that.. but it is where you are guided to go when getting off Route 18 there.. so that might be a problem that needs to be looked at.. perhaps Seminar should be a pedestrian mall and traffic sent around it.... maybe build a big parking deck behind Murray....

Between classes, that whole area is like driving through a minefield of pedestrians. People seem to come out of every nook and cranny. Jaywalkers everywhere.

It was great, Heaven! Like withoutregard said:

"...small school feel with access to big school resources and alum. She also gets priority registration and other perks, the perks at honors colleges are great."

We got a private tour because they organized the groups by school, and my daughter was the only Mason Gross enrolee there that day. Very nice building, the Honors College and the new academic buildings next to it. I shot some video on my phone and am in the process of editing it and adding some audio that I recorded that day. I'll link it when I'm done.

I love the plentiful study and research opportunities the HC provides... especially the shadowing program and alumni network. In a very competitive field, it's good to know that she'll have access to those resources. My daughter is a cello performance major and is taking the entrepreneurship minor that RBS offers.

Almost forgot to link my homemade HC tour video. I made this to share with family members, so the cello piece in the beginning is from my daughter's audition video that she sent to some of the schools she considered.

Almost forgot to link my homemade HC tour video. I made this to share with family members, so the cello piece in the beginning is from my daughter's audition video that she sent to some of the schools she considered.

Great video, but I have to admit being a little underwhelmed by the building and its interior. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

Great video, but I have to admit being a little underwhelmed by the building and its interior. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I've seen worse, but you're the first person I've known to feel the way you do. When we did our university wide tour, we didn't go inside any of the newer residences (although I hear they're very nice too), so I can't compare those. I don't know. What did you expect?

I can tell you that, as far as facilities and overall impressions go, I was surprised by some of the other school she applied to.

• Boston U. - Didn't like the campus or facilities I saw.
  • Berklee School of Music (Boston) - pleasantly surprised by the facilities
  • Syracuse - Canceled visit (heh, heh...)
  • Univ. of Hartford - Nice facilities, but campus had a community college feel to it. State financial woes?
  • NYU - wasn't able to go with her and my wife on that visit
  • Temple U. - I was blown away by how nice the campus and facilities were in light of the remarks made in this forum. Would not have been concerned about my kid's safety had she picked them.
Anyway, I'm ecstatic that she chose RU, and I/we love the HC. Too bad that, unless she becomes an RA or a student mentor, she'll have to move out after freshman year. Then again, she'll probably move to New Gibbons since she'll be a Mason Gross student and they have rehearsal space right there in the dorms along with lockers for their instruments.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it to. I've seen worse, but you're the first person I've known to feel the way you do. When we did our university wide tour, we didn't go inside any of the newer residences (although I hear they're very nice too), so I can't compare those. I don't know. What did you expect?

I can tell you that, as far as facilities and overall impressions go, I was surprised by some of the other school she applied to.

• Boston U. - Didn't like the campus or facilities I saw.
  • Berklee School of Music (Boston) - pleasantly surprised by the facilities
  • Syracuse - Canceled visit (heh, heh...)
  • Univ. of Hartford - Nice facilities, but campus had a community college feel to it. State financial woes?
  • NYU - wasn't able to go with her and my wife on that visit
  • Temple U. - I was blown away by how nice the campus and facilities were in light of the remarks made in this forum. Would not have been concerned about my kid's safety had she picked them.
Anyway, I'm ecstatic that she chose RU, and I/we love the HC. Too bad that, unless she becomes an RA or a student mentor, she'll have to move out after freshman year. Then again, she'll probably move to New Gibbons since she'll be a Mason Gross student and they have rehearsal space right there in the dorms along with lockers for their instruments.
Great stuff, especially about Cuse!

As for my expectations, bases on photos that I have seen of the building (inside and outside) and the surrounding area, I just thought it would have been nicer than what we saw in your video.....kind of nitpicking, but it was something that popped to mind.

Interesting feedback about Temple, since I think it is in pretty bad area of Philly.

About Temple... The campus is very nice, however, street gangs run that part of town, and it has a very high crime rate. All of the former Temple students I have ever spoken to all said more or less the same thing, they felt safe as long as they never left campus. There is a train that goes right into the campus so they never have to step foot outside for safety reasons.

It kind of like going to Rutgers Newark or NJIT, you will be ok as long as you don't walk too far from Campus.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
If your daughter plays cello maybe she can get the gig playing the National Anthem at the RAC

Univ. of Hartford - Nice facilities, but campus had a community college feel to it. State financial woes?

I'm going to say unlikely on the bolded part....U of Hartford is a private school, not state funded. Only been in existence since the 50s. But West Hartford is pretty nice by most standards.

About Temple... The campus is very nice, however, street gangs run that part of town, and it has a very high crime rate. All of the former Temple students I have ever spoken to all said more or less the same thing, they felt safe as long as they never left campus. There is a train that goes right into the campus so they never have to step foot outside for safety reasons.

It kind of like going to Rutgers Newark or NJIT, you will be ok as long as you don't walk too far from Campus.

Lousy school, high crime area.

I'm going to say unlikely on the bolded part....U of Hartford is a private school, not state funded. Only been in existence since the 50s. But West Hartford is pretty nice by most standards.

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking there... maybe about that other Connecticut school. lol UofH also offered her a pretty decent scholarship. Their campus is not terrible. She felt it had a cozy, enclave sort of feel. And yes, West Hartford is nice.

Great stuff, especially about Cuse!

As for my expectations, bases on photos that I have seen of the building (inside and outside) and the surrounding area, I just thought it would have been nicer than what we saw in your video.....kind of nitpicking, but it was something that popped to mind.

Interesting feedback about Temple, since I think it is in pretty bad area of Philly.

The day we went was a pretty dreary one, and I'm not a filmmaker by any stretch. Ha! Presentation and production value counts. When I look at what I did after seeing videos like the one I linked below, it's like Knight and Day.

As for Temple. It was pretty clear that they've gone out of their way to emphasize safety, although public access roads do run through the campus.

Here's a professionally done video about the honors college. Big difference.

You could tell they're aware of this perception too. No matter where we went as we walked the campus, there were at least two cops within a block of us, either on foot, bike or car. They also have that blue light system on every almost every corner.

Temple just got a little bit safer today...

maxresdefault.jpg

Just at orientation at High Tech High. Principal said many of there students are chossing Rutgers Honors College over other top schools. Said Rutgers doing a very good job with the honors college.

Very proud to say that my son was admitted to the Honors College for both the College of Engineering and School of Arts and Sciences for the Class of 2023!!
Woo hoo!!!
Congrats. Well deserved to the young man and his parents too!

But I’m really not surprised since I knew his analytics were VERY good.

(caps and the bold intentional)

Huzzah!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Congratulations my daughter just found out that she was accepted as well.
Congrats to your daughter!! Which college, and does she know what she wants to major in? My son wants to major in computer science, and he is thinking he would go through the School of Arts and Sciences,and not through the College of Engineering.
He still is waiting to hear from a bunch of other schools, and Rutgers is his first acceptance. Mrs. Shift and I are hoping he decides on RU.

What’s the difference between SAS vs CE for comp sci?
College of Engineering offers a BS in Computer Engineering through the department of Electrical Engineering.
Through SAS, the degree is Computer Science.
Degree requirements for SAS Computer Science BS:
https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/undergraduate/requirements-bs-computer-science
BA:
https://www.cs.rutgers.edu/undergraduate/requirements-ba-computer-science

College Of Engineering Computer Engineering Degree has EE requirements such as digital signal processing:
http://catalogs.rutgers.edu/generated/nb-ug_0507/pg21464.html

Reactions: jtung230
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT