ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers is ranked #40 in 2024 USNEWS Ranking

I think nationally our peer group is: Penn State(#60), Maryland(#46), Pitt (#67), Wisconsin (#35), Ohio State (#43) , Uconn (#58), U Washington (#40), Illinois, Champaign (#35), Michigan State (#60). For most Liberal Arts majors, there is not a dimes worth of difference between this group.
I'd add Purdue to the peer lineup at #43 as well. A lot of STEM kids from Jersey go to Purdue so they're in direct competition with Rutgers-NB in the STEM majors.

I think it will in some way help with recruiting. Some players know they aren’t going to the NFL so they may place some emphasis on academics.

It is all perception but hardly anybody criticized the methodology when other schools moved up in the rating in the past years. High school kids just see the ratings and this might help parents keep their kids in state and save a few bucks.

It won't help with kids who want to get out of the state (and away from their parents) but help with comparisons to #76 Delaware and #133 Vermont (though UVM doesn't seem as popular today).

I'd add Purdue to the peer lineup at #43 as well. A lot of STEM kids from Jersey go to Purdue so they're in direct competition with Rutgers-NB in the STEM majors.

And Purdue is much cheaper for OOS kids than most schools. Thank you Mitch Daniels, who kept tuition flat for his 7 years running the place.

Reactions: bigmatt718
It won't help with kids who want to get out of the state (and away from their parents) but help with comparisons to #76 Delaware and #133 Vermont (though UVM doesn't seem as popular today).

This is absurd.

I really, really 99% of kids have parents showing up uninvited. And frankly such a parent would probably drive out the 4 hours to Central PA or whereever.

Secondly, most of NJ is nothing like NB. NB is even quite different from East or South Brunswick. It is a great college town.

And lastly, most of NJ's main population aggregation is in the northeast portion of the state- a good hour away before traffic.

If it is was all about getting away UDel and NYU are real interesting choices for NJ kids and have always been among the most popular...they're a few miles from the state line, if that for the latter.

Reactions: schemingup
This is absurd.

I really, really 99% of kids have parents showing up uninvited. And frankly such a parent would probably drive out the 4 hours to Central PA or whereever.

Secondly, most of NJ is nothing like NB. NB is even quite different from East or South Brunswick. It is a great college town.

And lastly, most of NJ's main population aggregation is in the northeast portion of the state- a good hour away before traffic.

If it is was all about getting away UDel and NYU are real interesting choices for NJ kids and have always been among the most popular...they're a few miles from the state line, if that for the latter.
Well, the parents might have left NJ to go OOS and they justify their actions by badmouthing Rutgers. It takes a long time to change perceptions like 10-15 years. If we continue to stay up there in the ranking for several years there will be more converts.

I think Purdue, Iowa, and Indiana are fine schools, on par with RU, but the experience of going to school in farmland is different to the point that they are not peers and not right for the same kids.

Not one kid from my son's (Westchester county) high school went to RU from last year's class. I'm told over 100 kids applied to Michigan and very few got in. Clearly there is a disconnect and some poor guidance from the, um, Guidance Department. Hard to believe that some of those kids would not have been a great fit for RU. I think these parents hear "Jersey" and stick up their noses in ignorance of the facts.

A winning football team is low on the list of what makes for a great college experience. A close friend's daughter chose Texas, Austin, which is a great school, but not for her. She is a quiet studious kid, a little heavy. Her mom had a blast, but the daughter did not get past the first round of sorority pledging despite being a legacy and having strong letters of recommendation. It's only September but she wants to come home. I sincerely think RU would have been a better choice for her.

I think Purdue, Iowa, and Indiana are fine schools, on par with RU, but the experience of going to school in farmland is different to the point that they are not peers and not right for the same kids.
Bloomington and Iowa City are considered very good college towns.

Not one kid from my son's (Westchester county) high school went to RU from last year's class. I'm told over 100 kids applied to Michigan and very few got in. Clearly there is a disconnect and some poor guidance from the, um, Guidance Department. Hard to believe that some of those kids would not have been a great fit for RU. I think these parents hear "Jersey" and stick up their noses in ignorance of the facts.

A winning football team is low on the list of what makes for a great college experience. A close friend's daughter chose Texas, Austin, which is a great school, but not for her. She is a quiet studious kid, a little heavy. Her mom had a blast, but the daughter did not get past the first round of sorority pledging despite being a legacy and having strong letters of recommendation. It's only September but she wants to come home. I sincerely think RU would have been a better choice for her.
Bloomington and Iowa City are considered very good college towns.

And West Lafayette ain't Bloomington but ain't the boondocks. For a Westchester kid paying out-of-state at both I'd put Purdue and Rutgers an overall equal. For a Jersey kid it's Rutgers based on cost. For your friend's daughter I'd say both would have been better. UT sororities are not for the quiet and studious.

Haven’t read all the replies, so apologies if covered already. I seriously question the validity of this list. You’re telling me the Colorado School of Mines and UC-Merced (along with all those other UC schools) are right up there with the RU? Cmon.

Haven’t read all the replies, so apologies if covered already. I seriously question the validity of this list. You’re telling me the Colorado School of Mines and UC-Merced (along with all those other UC schools) are right up there with the RU? Cmon.
Colorado School of Mines appears to be an Engineering school ranked 76 , ranked 83 in 2021 and UC Merced is ranked 60. Most of the UC schools have always been ranked high.

But that's the question...why is the ice there on the day/night of a game?
Who cares?? Only malcontents that love to find reasons to look smart at RU ' s expense?? And those defending those idiots are just as bad.

Who cares?? Only malcontents that love to find reasons to look smart at RU ' s expense?? And those defending those idiots are just as bad.
The person or family member who slips and falls on some ice that shouldn’t be there. That who cares.

I think our Peer schools are Wisc, IU, Purdue, Ill, PSU, UF, UNC Udub
would never think of Uconn as a peer, our peers should be large research schools first and foremost

I think nationally our peer group is: Penn State(#60), Maryland(#46), Pitt (#67), Wisconsin (#35), Ohio State (#43) , Uconn (#58), U Washington (#40), Illinois, Champaign (#35), Michigan State (#60). For most Liberal Arts majors, there is not a dimes worth of difference between this group.

The person or family member who slips and falls on some ice that shouldn’t be there. That who cares.
What??? You defend that bs without knowing If there was even ice on sidewalks or the circumstance. Guess what if you go to all the games at the Rac, as I do, you know even if there was a bit of ice it's a anomaly and very rare. But it shows people who want to look smart bitch about everything and nothing. It could be snow , ice or it was too sunny that day at RU. More likely it's a landscaper that didn't get contract to shovel his shyt.

I think our Peer schools are Wisc, IU, Purdue, Ill, PSU, UF, UNC Udub
would never think of Uconn as a peer, our peers should be large research schools first and foremost
Plus UConn is inferior to virtually everything compared to Rutgers-NB (Rutgers has a better Business School, better STEM programs, better Communications/Journalism, and better Theater/Performing arts with Mason Gross). Only possible area of study that UConn is potentially equal in is agriculture.

The two that jumped out to me were Ohio State (43) and Georgia (47) - many associate those schools with dumb jocks and lower cases of academics but those are 2 really fine institutions.

The two that jumped out to me were Ohio State (43) and Georgia (47) - many associate those schools with dumb jocks and lower cases of academics but those are 2 really fine institutions.

Real deal grad programs. Miami of Ohio is actually more selective for undergtads than OSU but the grad programs are on an entirely different level.

#9 Northwestern
#15 UCLA
#21 Michigan
#28 USC
#35 Illinois and Wisconsin
#40 Rutgers and Washington
#43 Purdue and Ohio State
#46 Maryland
#53 Minnesota
#60 Michigan State and Penn State
#73 Indiana
#93 Iowa
#98 Oregon
#159 Nebraska <-- wtf?
imagine if when cal and stanford offered no money for years we took them. have to be honest, IU that low is surprising.

Nebraska is a absolute joke, Oregon sucks but we knew this and Iowa is well Iowa

Rutgers, while respected, getting roasted by some bama cat for having a shitty law school ranking

main board is bit of fun

I just asked Bard and Rutgers ranking was 45 in 1995, when I was there.

anyone check the sarah board at being 67?????? suicide watch I'll imagine

#9 Northwestern
#15 UCLA
#21 Michigan
#28 USC
#35 Illinois and Wisconsin
#40 Rutgers and Washington
#43 Purdue and Ohio State
#46 Maryland
#53 Minnesota
#60 Michigan State and Penn State
#73 Indiana
#93 Iowa
#98 Oregon
#159 Nebraska <-- wtf?
Louisville sticks out like a sore thumb in the ACC lineup as well lol. B1G and ACC are going to have some serious arguments as to who is the 2nd best academic conference after the Ivy League moving forward (I still think B1G beats the ACC but narrowly with Stanford/Cal in the ACC).

Honestly consolidate the Law School into NB or fold it. That's the only academic eyesore that Rutgers has.
agree 100%

problem is, RU has not strategic center to manage these things and the like. There is no project plan to being more elite etc..

My son received his Mechanical Engineering degree (BSME) from OSU a few years back and at that time it was a top 15-20 nationally rated program. Not sure where it's at now. OSU is a really top notch academic institution and my son is doing really well now with that degree. He's grateful and donates back to the school

They used to rank the Rutgers colleges separately and it was Rutgers College that was that high, while the others were lower.
Bard says Rutgers Cook College was not ranked separately in 1995. Rutgers New Brunswick was ranked. Can’t verify the accuracy of Bards assertions.

agree 100%

problem is, RU has not strategic center to manage these things and the like. There is no project plan to being more elite etc..

Rutgers Law School (Newark) used to be ranked pretty high. The admin made the decision to turn their backs on the rankings and made a huge commitment to expanding the applicant pool. Whether one believes it is a noble pursuit, it lead to Rutgers dropping like a rock.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I got emails from RU on this as well and have seen social media content.

I know they have banners near the Blue Lot that say top 20 public U.

We need banners and billboards that say top 15 public U as well #1 public in the Northeast (like they already do for the MBA)

Rutgers Law School (Newark) used to be ranked pretty high. The admin made the decision to turn their backs on the rankings and made a huge commitment to expanding the applicant pool. Whether one believes it is a noble pursuit, it lead to Rutgers dropping like a rock.
did not know this
thanks

Reactions: bitnez
Law school should be given a couple of years to straighten the ship since they … finally … ditched the co-dean model. That was the anchor more than anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT