ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers wrestling finished 6th in nation for average attendance

I was wondering about that. Thanks for posting.

Nice to see RU rank that high. Maybe it's time for me to try to figure out what that sport is all about, LOL!

Originally posted by ecojew:

Nice to see RU rank that high. Maybe it's time for me to try to figure out what that sport is all about, LOL!
Of course, we finished 5th in the Big Ten. Has there every been a conference that just dominates a sport like Big Ten does wrestling?

Originally posted by derleider:

Of course, we finished 5th in the Big Ten. Has there every been a conference that just dominates a sport like Big Ten does wrestling?
Not that I know of, but there are at least some elite wrestling schools outside of the Big Ten.

The Big Ten is even better at Women's Volleyball and now with Women's LAX. Does any other conference have any chance to win the NCAA national championship in those sports?

Sadly Title IX implementation lead to the cancellation of Wrestling programs at a lot of schools. It's now al.most a regional niche sport.

Originally posted by Knight_Light:
Sadly Title IX implementation lead to the cancellation of Wrestling programs at a lot of schools. It's now almost a regional niche sport.
85 schools still have D1 wrestling programs.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:

Not that I know of, but there are at least some elite wrestling schools outside of the Big Ten.

The Big Ten is even better at Women's Volleyball and now with Women's LAX. Does any other conference have any chance to win the NCAA national championship in those sports?
Is the ACC a non-factor is womens lax? Obviously its strong in mens.

Is the ACC a non-factor is womens lax? Obviously its strong in mens.
Maryland was consistently the best woman's lax team in the ACC.

Sadly Title IX implementation lead to the cancellation of Wrestling programs at a lot of schools. It's now almost a regional niche sport.
85 schools still have D1 wrestling programs.
Wow, didn't realize it was that low. Although I guess hearing about it (almost?) being removed from the Olympics was a good sign if its waning popularity.

Sadly Title IX implementation lead to the cancellation of Wrestling programs at a lot of schools. It's now al.most a regional niche sport.
Damn that equal opportunity!
smile.r191677.gif

Couldn't they just give scholarships to cheerleaders to balance out wrestling at some of these schools? How expensive could that possibly be?

Originally posted by BoroKnight:
Damn that equal opportunity!
smile.r191677.gif

Couldn't they just give scholarships to cheerleaders to balance out wrestling at some of these schools? How expensive could that possibly be?
Lots of sports are regional niche sports. How many schools have rifle programs. Or water polo. Or hockey. The places that really care about wrestling kept it. Everyone else ditched a sport no one really cared about for another sport no one probably really cares about.

It is a canard to blame the decline in wrestling on Title IX. It is declining because there is less interest in high schools, and colleges choose to dump their money into football rather than Olympic sports. Btw, sideline cheer is not a competitive sport. Competitive cheer is usually done outside the school setting.

This post was edited on 3/16 5:17 PM by SteveVA2

Nice. I could only find "2014" avg MBB attendance, which I think was for the 2013-14 season, so last year...it was 4,425. The prior year was 4,922. WBB 2013-14 avg attendance was 1,649. Great idea to move tOSU wrestling match in favor of the TTFP WBB game on 2/1/15 (attendance was 2,931)...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT