ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. Seattle is a great city. Lots to do downtown and Ballard is a great neighborhood (particularly if you like beer).

Seattle is a great city, but I like Portland a little better and Vancouver BC much better.

Highly recommend the EMP Museum (next to Space Needle). Suggest skipping the Space Needle. Pikes Market is touristy, but fun. I haven't been since the freeway between downtown and the waterfront was torn down. Must be amazing.

Space needle is pretty cool since they installed the glass floor. But don't go if you get wigged out looking down at your shoes and then another 500'.

Seattle trip 2 years ago was great. Did the grunge tour with a local tour guide. Saw a lot of interesting things related to the music scene, including Pearl Jam's original rehearsal space, the Black Hole Sun sculpture, a local dive bar where all of the major bands played, Kurt Cobain's house where he died, and Layne Staley's apartment.

Some years back I was doing a joint dev with Microsoft and had to travel to Redmond one week (actually 4 days) a month.

I saw the sun for the first time on my 27th day there.

Bring a pool cue and try to enter the Mayor's office or City Council chambers for a little 8 - Ball.

Seattle is a pretty cool city, but the homeless problem has grown in recent years. Sadly, same can be said for most cities. What sets Seattle apart is how close the "natural world" is to the metropolitan area. Get out and see some of that on your visit. Nicest weather is in July and August, but not sure if the protests will be over by then.

Seattle has some beautiful sunsets and scenery:

I follow this person on Twitter. She has epilepsy, and she has an amazing story on she has been seizure free for more than 3 years after switching to a keto diet. She is an avid hiker and weight lifter, and she took an urban hike yesterday around Seattle:

Plenty to see/do in Seattle area without spending a lot of time in Seattle proper. Boeing plant, Museum of Flight, Kirkland has beautiful views of Seattle from across the lake, Whidbey Island, Snoqualmie Falls to name a few. And you can't go all that distance without making the trip to Mt. Rainer - breathtaking views.

I go there often, I do business with Amazon and Costco. Nice city that has done very well with Amazon. The young tech yuppies drove up the price of everything. Taxes paid by Amazon has made the city government think they can do whatever they want when they want. This young tech community is all in with them. Lets see how this turns out. If you do go, please bring matches, they are running out.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Like I said last week, Seattle and Portland have been ruined by anarchist criminals

Remove them, and you have two good cities.

Doesn't seem like the local politicians want to remove them though.

A real shame
Our top performing Sales Person is out of that area. Lives outside the city though. Guy never visits a client though, really weird but successful. Little short fat guy. We have been having weekly Happy hours with our team and the dude scares the shit out of me with his ways. He has a couple of acres of land. Decent size pond on it...big enough for row boats and a paddle boat. He took us on a tour of his house. He has a locked room with at least 50 types of guns in it...Including a flame thrower which he highlighted on his pond last week. During the tour, he also showed his "basement" looked like a bunker, has a rain water filtration system, he just installed a still and his 8 y/o son was just finishing up on a few hundred dried meal packs...
The rest of my team was laughing but guy freaks me the F out.

BTW- he did mention they have recently gone through a record number of days of rain. Forgot how many days he said but no f-ing way for me...

Our top performing Sales Person is out of that area. Lives outside the city though. Guy never visits a client though, really weird but successful. Little short fat guy. We have been having weekly Happy hours with our team and the dude scares the shit out of me with his ways. He has a couple of acres of land. Decent size pond on it...big enough for row boats and a paddle boat. He took us on a tour of his house. He has a locked room with at least 50 types of guns in it...Including a flame thrower which he highlighted on his pond last week. During the tour, he also showed his "basement" looked like a bunker, has a rain water filtration system, he just installed a still and his 8 y/o son was just finishing up on a few hundred dried meal packs...

BTW- he did mention they have recently gone through a record number of days of rain. Forgot how many days he said but no f-ing way for me...

What do you sell?

The national news was reporting on the Capitol Hill autonomous zone in Seattle last night. Look that up. Doesn't look like a lot of fun to me but to each his own.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Anyone been? Have some vacation days to use and was thinking of going out there this weekend. Looks like a fun place

Seattle does not seem like a safe tourist destination as the Seattle Police were recently forced to abandon the East Precinct this week after receiving threats to burn it down. The rioters have created what they are calling “the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone,” and police are not allowed in. I believe thy are an open carry state; so you may want to pack some heat.

The national news was reporting on the Capitol Hill autonomous zone in Seattle last night. Look that up. Doesn't look like a lot of fun to me but to each his own.

My buddy who lives there and works at Kaiser says there’s armed locals in Capitol hill extorting local business and residents for “protection” since police aren’t patrolling there anymore.

Aside from that I’ve heard it’s a so-so place to live but a nice place to visit

People here complained about conservative moderator.. but I have never been banned here (other than by myself for lowering my standards) but on TOS, I appear to be banned for comparing what's going on in Seattle to Mao's revolution, calling it a cultural war and predicting a violent outcome. In other words, banned for stating the obvious. And, technically, what I said doesn't break any of their 4 rules for that board... and no communication from them.. no recognition in the thread where they removed the post.... if I lived in Seattle this would be the equivalent a van pulling up and disappearing me.

oh.. and by "nicest weather", dave means the only time Seattle is not so dreary you want to kill yourself is july and august.

Last edited:

Pretty smart guy based on what is going on in that city. Fat shaming are we?

People here complained about conservative moderator.. but I have never been banned here (other than by myself for lowering my standards) but on TOS, I appear to be banned for comparing what's going on in Seattle to Mao's revolution, calling it a cultural war and predicting a violent outcome. In other words, banned for stating the obvious.

oh.. and by "nicest weather", dave means the only time Seattle is not so dreary you want to kill yourself is july and august.
Tos is pathetic lol. They have like 10 loud posters who cry if something is posted they dont like and then an immediate ban follows

See Seattle and the touristy things like Pikes Place Market, but then take a ferry West to the Olympic Penninsula. Port Townsend (Cape May of the West with Victorian homes), Hurricane Ridge and (must do) drive Obstruction Point road and hike above the timber line, Sol Duc Falls, Hoh Rain Forest, Kalaloch Lodge, etc. You should also consider a day in Victoria (it’s where Canadians want to retire)... take a ferry from Port Angeles. Finally if time allows The San Juan islands are a cool place to visit. There are also a ton of good hiking spots heading east to the cascades.

Reactions: RUnTeX
My buddy who lives there and works at Kaiser says there’s armed locals in Capitol hill extorting local business and residents for “protection” since police aren’t patrolling there anymore.

Aside from that I’ve heard it’s a so-so place to live but a nice place to visit

They put up professionally done signs, entering Capitol Hill, prob had them made weeks ago.

I'm glad my purchases to Microsoft were put to good use. :Sly:

I go there often, I do business with Amazon and Costco. Nice city that has done very well with Amazon. The young tech yuppies drove up the price of everything. Taxes paid by Amazon has made the city government think they can do whatever they want when they want. This young tech community is all in with them. Lets see how this turns out. If you do go, please bring matches, they are running out.
Amazon pays taxes? That’s a new concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT