ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shannen Doherty dies.

Damn…Brenda & Dylan both gone.
Doesn't feel like that long ago, but it was:

200w.gif

Tell me about it. In our family, all 3 brothers hit with different types. I got lucky and caught mine early. Screened every year for recurrence, just celebrated 10 years clean. My brothers may not be so lucky.
I watched my 29 year old niece go through a 4+ year battle with Stage 4 breast cancer. Then my buddy was diagnosed with Stage 4 two years later and he followed the same path as my niece. It really sucked knowing their future and having to go through it again with him.

I am so grateful you are good. And sorry to hear it's in your family. Outside of my niece, my sister (her mom) was a breast cancer survivor. However the mental toll it takes on you and then have to deal with it with your daughter is just not fair. No one should have to deal with that.

Reactions: Scarlet83
I watched my 29 year old niece go through a 4+ year battle with Stage 4 breast cancer. Then my buddy was diagnosed with Stage 4 two years later and he followed the same path as my niece. It really sucked knowing their future and having to go through it again with him.

I am so grateful you are good. And sorry to hear it's in your family. Outside of my niece, my sister (her mom) was a breast cancer survivor. However the mental toll it takes on you and then have to deal with it with your daughter is just not fair. No one should have to deal with that.
To be clear, don't think it is genetic. All completely different forms, and without getting into specifics, one was due to "environmental" factors. The other completely bizarre. To add insult to injury, Mrs Shift has a rare, but not life threatening cancer that is manageable, but incurable. Told our adult kids to change their last names and run for the hills. That's a little dark humor. One saying I live by is to play the hand you are dealt.

Just terrible news...too young. A big part of Generation X growing up. Iconic as Brenda and as a Heather in Heathers.

Have been watching her podcasts. Such a brave and inspiring women to document her whole journey and face this head on to potential help others

She will be missed

To be clear, don't think it is genetic. All completely different forms, and without getting into specifics, one was due to "environmental" factors. The other completely bizarre. To add insult to injury, Mrs Shift has a rare, but not life threatening cancer that is manageable, but incurable. Told our adult kids to change their last names and run for the hills. That's a little dark humor. One saying I live by is to play the hand you are dealt.
I agree on the environmental. My sister and niece were in Brick (and tested negative for genetic). My buddy was a Navy fighter pilot and exposed to a lot of crap. Plus then living in NJ. NJ was a dumping ground for years but that Toms River area legacy is a concern.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree on the environmental. My sister and niece were in Brick (and tested negative for genetic). My buddy was a Navy fighter pilot and exposed to a lot of crap. Plus then living in NJ. NJ was a dumping ground for years but that Toms River area legacy is a concern.
Heads up. Without a doubt based on decades of medical research and science, cancer definitely has a significant genetic component to it. There are literally some cancers linked to genetic mutations that are passed down from parents. Of course environment and exposure are also very important, but there is a reason why the entire medical community asked every patient about family history.

Absolutely. Just got to keep plugging along with research and developing new therapies. There is so much innovation going on right now in oncology. The ball is matriculating up the field, slowly but surely.
Very true. Against that backdrop of immense medical innovation is a disturbing truth — cancer metastases happen much earlier than scientists previously suspected. The adage “better to catch it early” is still true, but does not, by any stretch of the imagination, prevent a metastases — which is basically the major determinant of survival

Absolutely. Just got to keep plugging along with research and developing new therapies. There is so much innovation going on right now in oncology. The ball is matriculating up the field, slowly but surely.

Watched my mom pass within 6 months from a rare form, Bile Duct cancer. Good friend passed last year in his 50's from pancreatic. Sister and another close friend both just had their Thyroids removed within the last couple months. One of my staff is hanging in there with Stage 4 breast cancer. It all really sucks, but I do get a bit sensitive to the attacks on "Big Pharma" on this board with so many people (me included) dedicated for some time in helping to support clinical programs for Cell/Gene & Immuno therapies across various forms of cancer. There is no miracle cure yet but people are working really hard and innovation is helping to both treat and extend lives.

Regarding Shannon, I met her about 20+ years of so ago while on vacation in Hawaii. She said hello and was gracious/nice to my wife I.

One day we all might be able to say we went to the school that cured cancer.

I’ll take that over any sports victory.

While I’m personally thrilled the latter exists, for obvious reasons, hopefully I’ll never need it.

Also, it’s nice to be part of this group too…

“The company you keep…” 😎

Last edited:
Watched my mom pass within 6 months from a rare form, Bile Duct cancer. Good friend passed last year in his 50's from pancreatic. Sister and another close friend both just had their Thyroids removed within the last couple months. One of my staff is hanging in there with Stage 4 breast cancer. It all really sucks, but I do get a bit sensitive to the attacks on "Big Pharma" on this board with so many people (me included) dedicated for some time in helping to support clinical programs for Cell/Gene & Immuno therapies across various forms of cancer. There is no miracle cure yet but people are working really hard and innovation is helping to both treat and extend lives.

Regarding Shannon, I met her about 20+ years of so ago while on vacation in Hawaii. She said hello and was gracious/nice to my wife I.
Amen. And most people bashing pharma are ignorant of the big picture. Complain about the obesity drugs all you want, but most of that money goes where? Yup. It goes to R&D for other products in oncology, rare diseases, cardio, etc. Companies spend billions and billions every year for clinical trials that end in failure. The few products that make it over the finish line fund all the therapies of the future.

I moved from traditional pharma to gene therapy/rare disease biotech 3 years ago and the science is remarkable. Truly stuff you would think comes from Star Trek. Yet, the risk and pitfalls of getting these therapies to market are beyond words. Not for the faint of heart! :)

Very true. Against that backdrop of immense medical innovation is a disturbing truth — cancer metastases happen much earlier than scientists previously suspected. The adage “better to catch it early” is still true, but does not, by any stretch of the imagination, prevent a metastases — which is basically the major determinant of survival
Great video. As Dr. Malkas says.....on average, our bodies create 8 cancer cells every day and our immune system takes them out. So in a sense, we are all living with cancer and cancer survivors.

Reactions: Randal7

I didn’t realize alcohol was a cause of cancer until a few years ago when I read an article about it and I cut down on my consumption. Definitely don’t drink as much as the past, two drinks a week.
Sugar and alcohol. Lots of research showing links. Good podcast on alcohol. Pharma most certainly has a role, but still a lot of cancers without any viable treatment.

An ounce of prevention. . . metabolic health, diet and exercise are no cure, but can help prevent bad outcomes. The environmental aspect I referred to above was not the ambient environment. It was the environment related to consumption of certain items.

How 1-3 drinks per day can double the risk of breast & colon cancer in men & women, respectively• Why consuming 5 drinks a week could be like smoking 10 cigarettes a week for women.

Reactions: bac2therac
Sugar and alcohol. Lots of research showing links. Good podcast on alcohol. Pharma most certainly has a role, but still a lot of cancers without any viable treatment.

An ounce of prevention. . . metabolic health, diet and exercise are no cure, but can help prevent bad outcomes. The environmental aspect I referred to above was not the ambient environment. It was the environment related to consumption of certain items.

How 1-3 drinks per day can double the risk of breast & colon cancer in men & women, respectively• Why consuming 5 drinks a week could be like smoking 10 cigarettes a week for women.

I've been reading for the past 5-10 years that alcohol is going to become the new cigarettes. As in, any amount of consumption is bad and increases health risks. Medical research and science are getting there.

I've been reading for the past 5-10 years that alcohol is going to become the new cigarettes. As in, any amount of consumption is bad and increases health risks. Medical research and science are getting there.
I guess that means “a glass of wine is good for your heart” message will have to be tweaked.🤷‍♂️

I guess that means “a glass of wine is good for your heart” message will have to be tweaked.🤷‍♂️
IDK about that. Like all things, moderation is fine, and if a person lives an otherwise healthy lifestyle . . .
These opinions can be all over the place, but regularly consuming more than a couple-few drinks dos not seem to be healthy. YMMV. For example, George Burns lived to 100!

s-l1600.jpg

And this on red wine:

IDK about that. Like all things, moderation is fine, and if a person lives an otherwise healthy lifestyle . . .
These opinions can be all over the place, but regularly consuming more than a couple-few drinks dos not seem to be healthy. YMMV. For example, George Burns lived to 100!

s-l1600.jpg

And this on red wine:

Well, recall I only had one. 🙂

And that was probably my only one for the whole week.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Shannon you fought that deadly disease as long as you could , the fight is over now, rest in peace

Reactions: bac2therac
Wine is one of those food items with positives and negatives (like many things). Big positive with the grape antioxidants and polyphenols. Negative with the booze. LOL! The best thing to do is just eat organic grapes and skip the wine.

Last edited:
Great video. As Dr. Malkas says.....on average, our bodies create 8 cancer cells every day and our immune system takes them out. So in a sense, we are all living with cancer and cancer survivors.

That is the actual message we all are born with the potential for one day contracting cancer. It is definitely insidious in its attack on the body. Lost my cousin at age 41 ( colon) his mom at 55 ( breast) my 52 year old niece was just diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer with cervical cancer as well . My wife and I are long time donors and advocates for MSK and their research teams. There is no question there have been great strides made toward eradicating many cancers and especially within the next 50 years. Shannon had a courageous journey against this disease. Too young to go through this . The time is coming when all cancers ( even pancreatic or esophageal) will have better outcomes. Not in my lifetime perhaps but maybe many others from this board will see that day.🪓🪓🪓🪓

Wine is one of those food items with positives and negatives (like many things). Big positive with the grape antioxidants and polyphenols. Negative with the booze. LOL! The best thing to do is just eat organic grades and skip the wine.
Drinking , smoking , over eating are all negatives. We all like a good time but society has a tendency to lead us astray. Keep moving and exercising. Keep up with health checks from young to old. Know your family history if possible.

Wine is one of those food items with positives and negatives (like many things). Big positive with the grape antioxidants and polyphenols. Negative with the booze. LOL! The best thing to do is just eat organic grades and skip the wine.
I like grapes. Not a wine guy. 🍷👎

Reactions: T2Kplus20

I didn’t realize alcohol was a cause of cancer until a few years ago when I read an article about it and I cut down on my consumption. Definitely don’t drink as much as the past, two drinks a week.

Is it alcohol or chemicals used in agriculture?

Seems like every other person (including me) is sensitive to wheat and there are people pointing to heavy use of Glyphosate/Round-up to kill weeds in crops like wheat. Growing-up I never knew people with wheat problems

I was never sensitive to wheat but then somewhere along the way I was becoming so obviously ill after eating bread that people would ask me if I was sick.

This one hurts because my wife, 40, is battling the same kind of breast cancer, stage 2 right now than Doherty was originally diagnosed with. We much prefer the positive/happy endings over seeing this kind of result. Prayers to her family.

There is much hope. Will always pray for those who suffer from any disease . God Bless your wife and there is much coming forward regarding treatments . Keep her spirits high … never let her despair.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
This one hurts because my wife, 40, is battling the same kind of breast cancer, stage 2 right now than Doherty was originally diagnosed with. We much prefer the positive/happy endings over seeing this kind of result. Prayers to her family.
my wish for you and your wife is a " positive/happy ending" , along with hoping soon what your wife is going through now is a thing of the pas, for everyone, due to medical advances

For most people over 40 or 50 (and some far younger) cancer has ravaged some close friend or family member. My mom died from breast cancer 4 years ago, one of my best friends died from skin cancer 12 years ago and my mother-in-law died from lung cancer about 20 years ago. It just sucks, especially when one is involved in the day-to-day care and support and sees what a terrible toll this disease has on people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT