ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shingles, ever had them?

mikershoein

All American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2006
I’m in my mid 40’s and had a nasty itch so I went to see my doctor, turned out to be Shingles. Totally sucks, I’m doing 4 baths a day and packing ice and lidocaine on the area. Anyone have suggestions that may help with the healing, it’s my lower back and makes it near impossible to sit.
Apparently the immunization is not given until after 50 and is not covered by insurance, awesome stuff. I take a crap load of pills that my wife is managing, but honestly she could hand me cyanide and I would take it without question.

Any Suggestions for products that help with the skin healing would be much appreciated.

I’m in my mid 40’s and had a nasty itch so I went to see my doctor, turned out to be Shingles. Totally sucks, I’m doing 4 baths a day and packing ice and lidocaine on the area. Anyone have suggestions that may help with the healing, it’s my lower back and makes it near impossible to sit.
Apparently the immunization is not given until after 50 and is not covered by insurance, awesome stuff. I take a crap load of pills that my wife is managing, but honestly she could hand me cyanide and I would take it without question.

Any Suggestions for products that help with the skin healing would be much appreciated.
How long does it last? I’m in my sixties but never took the Immunization.

I can't recommend products but I can say this. Our Floor Manager had it and touched his eyes. Big mistake. He temporarily lost sight in one eye. Do not touch your face!! God bless you and hope others can help.

Reactions: Spare130
Dave, if you ever had chicken pox, you are immune. Got my shingles shot a few years back--only need one.
I'm about the farthest away for being a Physician as possible, but my MD has told me it IS possible to get Shingles if you've had Chicken Pox. I had Chicken Pox as a kid and got the two phase shot a few months ago. The shots were not so available for first or second shot. A little sore/tired afterwards but that's the only side effects I experienced.

Dave, if you ever had chicken pox, you are immune. Got my shingles shot a few years back--only need one.
If you had chicken pox as a child you are not immune... the virus stays in your body for years until some episodic event triggers the virus to affect any area of the body... some cases last weeks or even months... the face and eyes are a delicate area ... shingles are painful and you need to get on meds ASAP. .. be aware you can get shingles multiple times so get the immunization shots ... I think it’s two with one being a booster shot.

The reverse is true. If you NEVER had chickpox you can't get shingles since it is the same virus.

My daughter got the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine. She will never have to worry about shingles in later life.

Last edited:

If it was caught early enough a doc can Rx valtrex, which can help (just like Tamiflu for those that get diagnosed with the flu quickly).

Reactions: Jm0513 and RUBOB72
How long does it last? I’m in my sixties but never took the Immunization.
Typically, the older you are the worse the symptoms of shingles can be. If you had chicken pox as a child, get the vaccine. The newer one is very effective.

Not true, I had chicken pox and measles as a child

the virus strain sits in your spine and can activate at any time, more so when you are over 50

Had chicken pox as a toddler and then shingles when I was 14.
That's what my doctor said it was.

4.22.1978_0.26.22.00-300x200.jpg

Prompt treatment with prescription antiviral drugs can speed healing and reduce your risk of complications. If you are having pain issues, here's a few things to help:
  • Capsaicin topical patch (Qutenza)
  • Anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin (Neurontin)
  • Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline
  • Numbing agents, such as lidocaine, delivered via a cream, gel, spray or skin patch
  • Medications that contain narcotics, such as codeine
  • An injection including corticosteroids and local anesthetics
I got it last year and caught it very early on..I knew I had it before the rashes even surfaced. Took Valtrex and fortunately had a relatively mild case. Best of luck and I hope it gets better soon.

I had chicken pox as a kid than shingles in my early 30's. Doc said it could be from anxiety or stress . Asked me if I was stressed, I said, " I don't know, I just started up my own business a year ago and now we're in a full blown recession, what do you think?

My reoccurrence was brought on by being overworked(fatigue) and stress, My case wasn't so severe as I was younger and only lasted about a week or so. The entire right side of my upper torso hurt like a bitch though.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2Kplus10
I had chicken pox as a kid than shingles in my 30's. Doc said it could be from anxiety or stress . Asked me if I was stressed, I said, " I don't know, I just started up my own business a year ago and now we're in a full blown recession, what do you think?

My reoccurrence was brought on by being overworked(fatigue) and stress, My case wasn't so severe as I was younger and only lasted about a week or so. The entire right side of my upper torso hurt like a bitch though.
+1
Shingles is linked to high levels of stress and anxiety.

Take a cool bath or shower to soothe skin. The coolness of the water can ease pain from shingles blisters and calm itchiness. You can also take a healing bath to reduce symptoms. Pour 1 to 2 cups of colloidal oatmeal or cornstarch into lukewarm bathwater and soak for 15 to 20 minutes. I had it when I was in my late twenties, like an ass I was in the sun way too much , between that & work, lack of sleep , dating , stress, coaching a fast pitch softball team, if the immune system gets weak it’s open season. I was in the hospital for 5 days . It’s very painful my friend try to get as much rest as possible, I know it’s easy to say and hard to do. I use a tea tree oil soap, it’s a great germ killer. ( Tea Tree Oil ) .

Funny you guys brought this up right now. My Rite Aid here in Manchester has a big sign right where you drop off prescriptions that they are giving shingles shots. I never had any kids diseases-no mumps, no measles, no chicken pox. Don’t know if I should bother getting it if I never had chicken pox. I asked if insurance covers it and the pharmacist said almost all do but may have a small co-pay.Probably should get it to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
It’s way more common for young people to get now.

With everyone having the chicken pox vaccine you’re not exposed to the virus in public now...and people who have had chicken pox are more likely to get shingles younger.

It used to be that you got “booster” shots from being around kids with chicken pox. Now that’s no longer a thing.

+1

I believe this to be true...I would add that eating
healthy, and taking a few of the vitamins on a regular basis that
support your immune system would be a helpful
hopefully to help prevent it in the first place.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Funny you guys brought this up right now. My Rite Aid here in Manchester has a big sign right where you drop off prescriptions that they are giving shingles shots. I never had any kids diseases-no mumps, no measles, no chicken pox. Don’t know if I should bother getting it if I never had chicken pox. I asked if insurance covers it and the pharmacist said almost all do but may have a small co-pay.

when I was young it was very common to have
those three diseases, chicken pox, mumps and
measles.....I also had german measles, so that made four.....

Reactions: RUBOB72
Prompt treatment with prescription antiviral drugs can speed healing and reduce your risk of complications. If you are having pain issues, here's a few things to help:
  • Capsaicin topical patch (Qutenza)
  • Anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin (Neurontin)
  • Tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline
  • Numbing agents, such as lidocaine, delivered via a cream, gel, spray or skin patch
  • Medications that contain narcotics, such as codeine
  • An injection including corticosteroids and local anesthetics
I got it last year and caught it very early on..I knew I had it before the rashes even surfaced. Took Valtrex and fortunately had a relatively mild case. Best of luck and I hope it gets better soon.
Thank you, I’m doing most of these but have a few things to look into, not familar with the topical patch

measles.....I also had german measles, so that made four.....[/QUOTE
I can’t get German measles.
My folks told me my ancestors were Irish, English, French and Canadian Indian. No one seems to know the full story about the Canadian squaw. The Frenchman supppsedly was a trapper who married her and they went back to France. We are hoping she was madly in love and it wasn’t one of those , “Chief, Here are three blankets and a goat. Is that enough for your daughter?”

I hear Clorox is helpful

I believe this to be true...I would add that eating
healthy, and taking a few of the vitamins on a regular basis that
support your immune system would be a helpful
hopefully to help prevent it in the first place.
Shingles is linked to high levels of stress and anxiety.[/QUOTE]

Stress-Yep, that’s me. Sole financial provider, 5 young kids and one with serious medical conditions. All that and no live sports on TV, sometimes you need a little more than a beer to chill out.

Typically, the older you are the worse the symptoms of shingles can be. If you had chicken pox as a child, get the vaccine. The newer one is very effective.

I keep reading "if you had chicken pox as a child", but I had it when I was 20. Is there a difference?

measles.....I also had german measles, so that made four.....
I can’t get German measles. My folks told us our ancestors were Irish, English, French, and Canadian Indian. Supposedly, the Frenchman was a trapper and married a squaw . We hope she was madly in love and it wasn’t “Chief, here are three blankets and a goat. Is that enough for your daughter?”

Stress-Yep, that’s me. Sole financial provider, 5 young kids and one with serious medical conditions. All that and no live sports on TV, sometimes you need a little more than a beer to chill out.[/QUOTE]
Mike, I hope everything improves for you and your family.

I keep reading "if you had chicken pox as a child", but I had it when I was 20. Is there a difference?
Hmm, I don't think it matters when you get chicken pox (other than not being able to get shingles for a longer period of your life). At least, I have never read anything to suggest a difference. Not sure.

Reactions: KevH
I once had a rash and the ER doctor couldn't decide if it was shingles or impetigo. (My regular doctor eventually figured out it was impetigo.) But I was prescribed acyclovir in case it was shingles. It's the same treatment as for herpes, because the viruses are very closely related. That was a while ago, though, so the treatments may have changed. (By the way, my doctor figured out it was impetigo because the rash crossed over from one side of my body to the other; shingles doesn't do that because it follows nerve pathways.)

Reactions: mikershoein
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT