ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Smoking meat

Southern Gentleman

All American
Aug 10, 2011
It is a beautiful day in Little Rock today(75 degrees), so i decided to fire up the smoker and I cooked 3 slabs of St. Louis style ribs and working on 2 pork butts today as well. Tomorrow will have 2 chickens stuffed with a half stick of butter, a quartered apple, orange, onion, and a peach. I am using a 60/40 combo of Pecan and Hickory woods.

If you smoke meats, what are you planning to cook this spring?

It is a beautiful day in Little Rock today(75 degrees), so i decided to fire up the smoker and I cooked 3 slabs of St. Louis style ribs and working on 2 pork butts today as well. Tomorrow will have 2 chickens stuffed with a half stick of butter, a quartered apple, orange, onion, and a peach. I am using a 60/40 combo of Pecan and Hickory woods.

Nothing I'm coming to your house.

Smoker Stainless Steel drum with Big Poppa smoker kit.
I use Oak Lump charcoal. I use apple or cherry or mesquite or Hickory all depends on what im smokin
did Venison backstraps, seasonings apple cider vinegar marinate over night wrapped in Bacon smoked at 290 degrees for an hour. fingerlickin good.
Smoke venison hot sausage frequently, 240 degrees hour, hour and a half, better than jerkey!
Friday doin Venison roast, marinate over night in a coffee grind based marinate 250 degrees 3 hours with a Butter rum sauce.

Definitely some pork. Have not done ribs yet but planning on it as well as chicken. Brisket for sure. Enjoy!

Brisket is always at the top of my list. Over the years I've created a great rub. And basting sauce for it. If I'm going to smoke anything I always add chicken of some sort of a 100 recipes I like since the smoker is already going. Smoked tender chicken salad is awesome! Ribs are a combination of Alton Brown and Emeril's recipe. Love pulled pork but I cheat on that kinda. I'll cooked it in the crock pot first so I can then shred it. Then add some love and smoke at the end.
Reading this thread and thinking about my first BBQ for 2024 is making me really hungry. Thanks @Southern Gentleman! 🙄 BTW how are you doing? Coming East this fall?

I’m looking to cold smoke some lox to get some nova lox. Has anybody given this a try?

Got a Traeger for Fathers Day last year.
Done many pork shoulders, chicken breast, ribs, even cream cheese.

Buffalo chicken dip every other week at this point: smoke the chicken, smoke the cream cheese, smoke it all again after assembling.

Mostly use variety of Meat Church seasonings.

Haven’t done a full chicken or brisket yet.
Maybe over the next couple of weeks.

I use the grill and smoker all winter long - have a covered back patio.

Covered????? Real men don't need no cover!

jIT7ZHS.jpg

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Smoker Stainless Steel drum with Big Poppa smoker kit.
I use Oak Lump charcoal. I use apple or cherry or mesquite or Hickory all depends on what im smokin
did Venison backstraps, seasonings apple cider vinegar marinate over night wrapped in Bacon smoked at 290 degrees for an hour. fingerlickin good.
Smoke venison hot sausage frequently, 240 degrees hour, hour and a half, better than jerkey!
Friday doin Venison roast, marinate over night in a coffee grind based marinate 250 degrees 3 hours with a Butter rum sauce.
I NEED your marinate recipe please!

Reactions: Bagarocks
Brisket is always at the top of my list. Over the years I've created a great rub. And basting sauce for it. If I'm going to smoke anything I always add chicken of some sort of a 100 recipes I like since the smoker is already going. Smoked tender chicken salad is awesome! Ribs are a combination of Alton Brown and Emeril's recipe. Love pulled pork but I cheat on that kinda. I'll cooked it in the crock pot first so I can then shred it. Then add some love and smoke at the end.
Reading this thread and thinking about my first BBQ for 2024 is making me really hungry. Thanks @Southern Gentleman! 🙄 BTW how are you doing? Coming East this fall?
It is on my bucket list to return for a football game this fall. A LOT depends on mine and my wife’s health issues, nothing serious, but aggravating.
If you get the internal temperature of a pork butt to 205 degrees the bone comes out clean and the meat will fall apart in your hands.
I make my own rub and BBQ sauces as well. However, i like to try various rubs from around the country to see what other people like, or not like, in their BBQ.

I’m looking to cold smoke some lox to get some nova lox. Has anybody given this a try?
I have not but my son, John, likes to cold smoke cheeses. I will see if he does Lox as well. BTW, i love smoked lox and salmon.

I imagine that it is odd that a southern Gentleman likes smoked Lox, salmon, and other seafoods. But I enjoy many foods.

It is on my bucket list to return for a football game this fall. A LOT depends on mine and my wife’s health issues, nothing serious, but aggravating.
If you get the internal temperature of a pork butt to 205 degrees the bone comes out clean and the meat will fall apart in your hands.
I make my own rub and BBQ sauces as well. However, i like to try various rubs from around the country to see what other people like, or not like, in their BBQ.
For Brisket I've tried several dozen or so but it's expensive meat so when I found one I loved I really don't play around. Chicken is the complete opposite. I've tried everything and 99.90% where very good. I still make chicken and rib rubs all the time. A dash of pineapple juice with spices on ribs at the end are awesome. You don't taste pineapple at all but it works. Keep us posted if you come to RU. A lot of us pork roll crowd miss you.

For Brisket I've tried several dozen or so but it's expensive meat so when I found one I loved I really don't play around. Chicken is the complete opposite. I've tried everything and 99.90% where very good. I still make chicken and rib rubs all the time. A dash of pineapple juice with spices on ribs at the end are awesome. You don't taste pineapple at all but it works. Keep us posted if you come to RU. A lot of us pork roll crowd miss you.
Ya know if ya slowly smoke a chuck Roast, after smoke wrap, you will never know the difference. Tasty is tasty.

I'm aching to smoke some St. Louis spares myself. I gotta renew my Costco card now that we're moving into spring. I want to smoke a brisket again soon as well. I always tell folks who want to get into the BBQ game...the most important part of BBQ is making sure you have plenty of beer, bourbon, tequila, and cigars because it is a LONG process especially if you're smoking brisket lol.

KISS when it comes to brisket: Keep It Simple Stupid. Kosher salt, black pepper, maybe a hint of garlic powder and a hint of cayenne. That's it. Go elaborate with the rubs for pork.

Did ribs a few weeks ago.

Steak nights have been getting rained/snowed/wind out lately but when I get a clear one will grill some ribeyes over fire. Use a makeshift setup with open grill on one side, cast iron griddle over main fire on the other side. Reverse sear by indirect heat and smoke on the open grill to start, direct sear on griddle to finish.

Easter coming up ...hoping to smoke or fire rotisserie a leg of lamb. Or just smoke lamb ribs if weather or time don't allow for the leg. Leftover leg giros would be nice, tho.

I hate to cook and my idea of smoking is putting a steak on the grill until I see the smoke billowing out lol.
But this place is smart about cooking and I saved some Hudson recipes from years ago (never used them)

WmyULvu.jpeg
Before 'huddy went nutty

Covered????? Real men don't need no cover!

jIT7ZHS.jpg
If posting a picture wasnt such a pain in the ass- I was going to do the same...I have some great pics of a path I had to shovel to my BBQ that was about the same snowfall you are showing but it was still snowing - and some salmon and steaks on the grill. lol

If posting a picture wasnt such a pain in the ass- I was going to do the same...I have some great pics of a path I had to shovel to my BBQ that was about the same snowfall you are showing but it was still snowing - and some salmon and steaks on the grill. lol

Yeah, I've got a couple of pictures where I'm grilling out in the middle of a snowstorm, couldn't find those. One of them I think the snow is piled higher than my head.

If posting a picture wasnt such a pain in the ass- I was going to do the same...

Do you have an online place to store your pictures? I use imgur, just have the pictures separated into separate albums.

Got a Traeger for Fathers Day last year.
Done many pork shoulders, chicken breast, ribs, even cream cheese.

Buffalo chicken dip every other week at this point: smoke the chicken, smoke the cream cheese, smoke it all again after assembling.

Mostly use variety of Meat Church seasonings.

Haven’t done a full chicken or brisket yet.
Maybe over the next couple of weeks.
I like Meat Church brand seasonings as well. I used Holy Cow on one pork butt and Gospel on another pork butt yesterday. Both turned out well.

Be sure to take the underside membrane off to the ribs before cooking The ribs.
To your earlier point hanging out on a nice day smoking meat in the back yard with the relaxed pace, the smell of the smoke and meat and of course the beverage and company of your choice…. It doesn’t get much better imo.

I'm aching to smoke some St. Louis spares myself. I gotta renew my Costco card now that we're moving into spring. I want to smoke a brisket again soon as well. I always tell folks who want to get into the BBQ game...the most important part of BBQ is making sure you have plenty of beer, bourbon, tequila, and cigars because it is a LONG process especially if you're smoking brisket lol.
I love it! I sipped some Elijah Craig while smoking an Arturo Fuente yesterday. It didn’t make the ribs nor pork butts any better, but it made me feel better!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT