ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Son busted a car window near the school playground.

One other thing. When you talk to the school urge them enforce the parking policy. Put up cones, add lines or a no parking sign if this woman was in an area she was not supposed to park in.

This way all of the other lazy people can be pissed at her for turning this into a big deal.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Your liability is not reduced by her deductible choice. He is either liable or not. Simple as that. How much you might have to pay is a function of deductible. Mixing apples and oranges.
Nobody has determined who's liable. Except the insurance company, who of course
washes their hands of it. The owner of the vehicle now has to deal with you, the school
or whomever. The owner cannot come up with a insurance price of 1000. You can have a glass person come right to her house and split the bill Next time she can get no deductible.

I would guess. @KingHigh could fill you in on the likelies. Probably cost more for a lawyer than splitting the replacement cost with you so the others probably won't have a lawyer. Make your case see what happens.

Or offer to go on Judge Judy? LOL.

I'm happy to talk to you about this, with the clock turned off. A lawyer could protect your interest. Your interest is probably worth less than the lawyer. As many have said. But I have resolved to help Rugers people whenever possible, which we should all strive to do daily. So pm me if you want some free advice.

Wow, this was a serious thread to read through!

Some thoughts:

I could see my kids as 8 year olds doing this, or the cub scouts I oversaw when they were 8 doing this. It's just what kids at that age do. Go easy on your boy 'cause I don't think he maliciously intended to do that.

The lady calling the cops is just out-of-bounds - in your shoes I'd make her life hell trying to collect that money. And she should shoulder some of the blame for parking where she did. Yes, it's not technically illegal, but it's also lazy and not very bright to do so.

I think someone said this was a Mercedes - I had a similar situation a long time ago with a BMW that was wrongly parked that I clipped backing out on a steep hill. I more than admitted my fault, but I balked when the estimate came back with the hourly rate for the BMW paint shop more than double what just about every independent shop charged. I told the adjustor I wasn't going to pay that surcharge for a BMW dealership employee to do that work.

Wow, people here are tough. We're talking about an 8-year-old kid throwing a rock at the ground, and it bounced to hit the windshield. Unless the OP is misinformed about what happened, it is not like the kid threw the rock at the car or at another kid. It is just an 8-year-old kid being an 8-year-old kid and not an 8-year-old kid misbehaving.
Yep, what I said above.
Does have a decent arm, but I'm pretty sure that damn spongy blue ground that you can see in the pic helped things along here.
That explains the bounce - fully understandable that happening, and the angle of the bounce could have been anywhere given the shape of the rock.
It's funny. I need to finish this shareholders' agreement I'm working on but instead I'm googling parental immunity statutes. An interesting break from the monotony indeed.
Yeah, I'm taking a break from creating an insanely complicated SQL Server stored procedure for a multi-functional client administrative screen.

Not for nothing but what the hell is your son doing throwing rocks hard ecough on a playground to break a car window. Be happy it wasn't another kid's eye.
I don't mean to sound harsh but seriously, I would have had my ass handed to me and would be paying my father back the cost of the window from my allowance

I wanna know why it's not the schools responsibility. If he was in little league, the league would pay. He was under the schools supervision.

Many years ago, I was parked in a legal, marked spot near the baseball field in Beach Haven (the one by Bay Village for those who know the area). I came back to my car to find a little league game in progress, my windshield smashed and a note on the car from one of the managers with a number for a league representative. They only left the note to let me know it was an accident and they were sorry but the league did not have insurance to cover the damage and I was on my own. The car was parked beyond the center field fence and as far from home plate as could be so it was one heck of a hit by the kid and I'm sure the entire team loved the smashed window.

Reactions: Leonard23
I just ran a 2012 Merc GLK against SafeLite's quick-quote system (it may be a different year, can't tell for certain from the picture) and it came back $584.00, installed.

File a lawsuit against Parks & Rec for failure to provide proper signage.
Any chance to meet April is a righteous opportunity...
18de711ce8a5081863d68799c07ae56b.jpg

Reactions: RUsSKii
Disclaimer, this is not particularly my area of expertise (although, I doubt that it's anyone's area of expertise), I stopped reading after about 10 posts and, most importantly, I'm not admitted in New Jersey. That said, if this situation had occurred in New York, my advice would be as follows:
  • Think of this situation from the perspective of practical resolution (repairing the glass) not theoretical liability (parental responsibility for the misfeasance of minor children).
  • Related, let the owner lead the charge in repairing the vehicle. Your car, your headache. This isn't a situation that should weigh heavy on your mind.
  • Regardless of actual fault, nobody should even consider paying a dime until the car owner produces verifiable proof that the Mercedes somehow doesn't have full glass coverage. Virtually all full collision policies in New York have full coverage for glass without a deductible (I would assume it's similar in New Jersey). The cost for glass is simply built into policies without regard to fault given the frequency of occurrence and the difficulty of proving fault. Related, I've never heard of a glass claim triggering an insurance increase. So, if owner is insured, problem solved. That's why you get insurance coverage in the first place. Accidents happen.
  • If by some amazing chance, the owner is uninsured or under-insured, the owner (not you) should look to the school (and/or the after-school operator) for indemnification. Your eight-year old child accidentally damaged a vehicle on school property while under school supervision. Why was your kid allowed to throw rocks on the playground in the first place? Not only is the school most likely ultimately responsible for the damages, it has the deepest pockets and is most likely to voluntarily pay.
  • In the event the owner is foolishly under-insured or the school refuses to accept responsibility for the damages and you feel like bailing-out both of them (being kind to the foolish and irresponsible), simply cut a check to the owner in the amount that you deem appropriate. If the owner is satisfied, great. If not, he/she can have fun navigating the courts to go after you for a couple hundred bucks, which would be an amazing waste of time and effort for anyone who could afford to drive the vehicle in question--simply won't happen. So, In the end, here, the owner gets nothing more than what you're willing pay.

You & your kid are both irresponsible. He shouldn't be throwing rocks & you should pay for the damage.
I can't wait until the season starts so I can find where you park. I'll have my kid break your window & then we can haggle over the price I'm willing to pay.

How about the parent take responsibility and park in a parking spot?
Exactly. How about the person who parked the car wasn't a lazy piece of crap that parked in a parking spot. If they would have, we wouldn't be having this conversation and this would have never happened

You & your kid are both irresponsible. He shouldn't be throwing rocks & you should pay for the damage.
I can't wait until the season starts so I can find where you park. I'll have my kid break your window & then we can haggle over the price I'm willing to pay.
Wait you're saying a 8 year old is irresponsible? Please tell me more.

I think we've seen an entire litany of replies to this admittedly interesting thread, and can agree that on average, it makes sense to note that the Mercedes was parked irresponsibly and that the OP should offer to pay for an independently estimated repair based on his son's actions. Your reply in particular, though, is quite noteworthy for how truly KaKa it is..

A couple of points-

The vehicle has comprehensive coverage, I do not doubt that. In NJ, most policies will not waive a deductible for comp claims though. It's likely she's telling truth about the $1000. So that option is out.

NJ has comparative liability fault laws but the vehicle in question was parked...it's on the kid 100%.

Is the kid liable? In NJ, young children generally aren't going to be find liable unless it's reasonable to think they know what they are doing. Age cut off for that is like 6ish. By 8 a kid knows right and wrong- if this goes to court he's going to be found liable.

Damages- $700 for a rear window is a lot. An insurance company will see that and make sure parts and labor costs are usual and customary and usually negotiate that down.

What I would do in this case? Honestly, I would expect to be paying more than half here, my kids at fault. Your homeowners insurance would cover it but it's probably not worth it to make a claim. Call the owner and offer to have safelite come out and pay half of that- you're not going to get cheaper easier and they should offer a guarantee. That's what I would do

I'm calling complete bullsheet on the woman. As anyone who ever had a period of juvenile delinquency will tell you, the most important part of breaking a windshield is by hitting it from an angle above. Straight on or below and the rock just bounces off. And even then, unless you're using slingshot force, it is a chip. That chip may or may not crack during the winter, depending on how deep it is.

There is no way in hell an 8 year old has the ability to do this damage without a slingshot. Now, I'm not accusing her of knowing this crack was there and setting up the kid, but that crack was in that glass well before your son was even enrolled at that school.

Don't pay a dime. Let her take you to small claims court, and show the kid to the judge. He's likely to have been a juvenile delinquent as a kid too, and knows how to break a windshield. It ain't by bouncing rocks off a rubber mat.

I'm calling complete bullsheet on the woman. As anyone who ever had a period of juvenile delinquency will tell you, the most important part of breaking a windshield is by hitting it from an angle above. Straight on or below and the rock just bounces off. And even then, unless you're using slingshot force, it is a chip. That chip may or may not crack during the winter, depending on how deep it is.

There is no way in hell an 8 year old has the ability to do this damage without a slingshot. Now, I'm not accusing her of knowing this crack was there and setting up the kid, but that crack was in that glass well before your son was even enrolled at that school.

Don't pay a dime. Let her take you to small claims court, and show the kid to the judge. He's likely to have been a juvenile delinquent as a kid too, and knows how to break a windshield. It ain't by bouncing rocks off a rubber mat.

True story: Oranges do not break windshields, when thrown from the grove to the highway, more than 95% of the time.

Many years ago, I was parked in a legal, marked spot near the baseball field in Beach Haven (the one by Bay Village for those who know the area). I came back to my car to find a little league game in progress, my windshield smashed and a note on the car from one of the managers with a number for a league representative. They only left the note to let me know it was an accident and they were sorry but the league did not have insurance to cover the damage and I was on my own. The car was parked beyond the center field fence and as far from home plate as could be so it was one heck of a hit by the kid and I'm sure the entire team loved the smashed window.
Things must of changed... whe I was growing up (15-20 years ago) my dad was heavily involved with the league. One of the fields was on a busy street and would catch a few cars a year with fly balls. One of his responsibilities was handling the claims and if memory serves correct they went through Williamsport. Anyways, oh well, insurance sucks

I think we've seen an entire litany of replies to this admittedly interesting thread, and can agree that on average, it makes sense to note that the Mercedes was parked irresponsibly and that the OP should offer to pay for an independently estimated repair based on his son's actions. Your reply in particular, though, is quite noteworthy for how truly KaKa it is..
So he couldn't figure out how to do the right thing with out asking everyone for advice?

I feel like there must be a biblical solution to this. I'd go with one of these two options:

(1) Sell the kid. Use the money to pay half the repair cost

OR

(2) Cut the kid in half. Let the other car's owner chose which half to keep. Keep half for yourself.
I like frogs.

True story: Oranges do not break windshields, when thrown from the grove to the highway, more than 95% of the time.
Always wondered what people in warmer climates threw, lol - was always snowballs for us - I think the chase was more challenging, since the driver could track you in the snow. When we were 12, my best friend, who was simply fearless, didn't just toss a snowball at a car and run, like the rest of us - no, he stood there and fired 5 or 6 snowballs to show the driver who was boss - well, the driver turned out to be a young athletic guy who jumped out, chased, and caught my friend (who was pretty speedy), dragged him back into his car and drove him back to my friend's house and dropped him off with his mom, along with an explanation of what he had done. My friend's mom, who was moderately sadistic, thanked the man and proceeded to beat my friend silly with a metal hairbrush (was nowhere near the first time). Pretty sure if this happened today, it might mean jail time for the driver and the child being taken away from the mother, but 41 years ago, nobody gave it a 2nd thought. If only we had the internet back then to debate the merits of the behaviors involved.

The amount of crap written here is remarkable, very disappointing. Blaming a woman and calling her names because your son broke her car window? Really? Do the honorable thing and offer to pay. The amount of her deductible or her parking spot is irrelevant. Be civilized, not a douche.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
This is amazing - but it's also sad. A kid throws a rock and hits a car and everyone is trying to point fingers trying to blame someone else (maybe you forgot PPG on the list for the paint marking the parking space fading prior to the end of the warranty period).

This should be cut and dry. Prepare to pay for the whole thing but ask for half because the owner wasn't parked away from the playground. Either way own it - your kid is an extension of you.

If not - be ready for rising rates due to insurance costs if you finger the school....or better yet get some thumbtacks for all the finger paintings he'll bring home because none of the kids will be allowed outside any more.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
Find a reputable glass dealer who will give you an estimate on Make and Model glass replacement and offer to pay. Walk away a better man.

This is amazing - but it's also sad. A kid throws a rock and hits a car and everyone is trying to point fingers trying to blame someone else (maybe you forgot PPG on the list for the paint marking the parking space fading prior to the end of the warranty period).

This should be cut and dry. Prepare to pay for the whole thing but ask for half because the owner wasn't parked away from the playground. Either way own it - your kid is an extension of you.

If not - be ready for rising rates due to insurance costs if you finger the school....or better yet get some thumbtacks for all the finger paintings he'll bring home because none of the kids will be allowed outside any more.
Like a number of posters here, I have more of an old school outlook and think that if it were my kid who did the damage I should pay for it. That being said, some of the posters here are lawyers and such and are trained to assess these kinds of situations from the standpoint of legal liability. I can understand that.

My 2 Cents is since she parked in the wrong spot, and he was under supervision of the school you may legally not be responsible for any of it, but I think the right thing to do is to pay half - and not half of the $700. As far as teaching your son a lesson by paying the whole thing - not sure I understand that sentiment. You paying half is showing that you take responsibility.

Pay up your kid threw a rock, not a ball. Luckily know ones eye got in the way. Surveillance Video evidence obtained from another angle is pretty damning i heard .

Reactions: RUScrew85
Always wondered what people in warmer climates threw, lol - was always snowballs for us - I think the chase was more challenging, since the driver could track you in the snow. When we were 12, my best friend, who was simply fearless, didn't just toss a snowball at a car and run, like the rest of us - no, he stood there and fired 5 or 6 snowballs to show the driver who was boss - well, the driver turned out to be a young athletic guy who jumped out, chased, and caught my friend (who was pretty speedy), dragged him back into his car and drove him back to my friend's house and dropped him off with his mom, along with an explanation of what he had done. My friend's mom, who was moderately sadistic, thanked the man and proceeded to beat my friend silly with a metal hairbrush (was nowhere near the first time). Pretty sure if this happened today, it might mean jail time for the driver and the child being taken away from the mother, but 41 years ago, nobody gave it a 2nd thought. If only we had the internet back then to debate the merits of the behaviors involved.

Too funny and grew up around the same time and get it. Amazing thing is if that were now, the driver would still be in prison for kidnapping.

Anyway- I get it and OP isn't a bad guy and a long time poster. His kid, more than likely a good kid.
Doesn't freaking matter where the car was parked, it could have been in the freaking grass. Your kid should not be throwing rocks for any reason on school property. Go after the school for not stopping him or monitoring his behavior? Listen to yourself, you are giving your son a free pass but it was the school's fault somehow?
Offer to split the cost or to find a replacement company yourself and pick up that cost. Do the right thing and not look for a loophole to deflect blame.

Maybe your kid can work it off for her - wash her car a few times? This way he won't throw rocks at (or in the general direction of) cars anymore. lol

And yes, back in the day we used to throw snowballs at cars.....

Our soccer league isn't insured for this either, but we paid for a window smashed by a soccer ball....

Too funny and grew up around the same time and get it. Amazing thing is if that were now, the driver would still be in prison for kidnapping.

Anyway- I get it and OP isn't a bad guy and a long time poster. His kid, more than likely a good kid.
Doesn't freaking matter where the car was parked, it could have been in the freaking grass. Your kid should not be throwing rocks for any reason on school property. Go after the school for not stopping him or monitoring his behavior? Listen to yourself, you are giving your son a free pass but it was the school's fault somehow?
Offer to split the cost or to find a replacement company yourself and pick up that cost. Do the right thing and not look for a loophole to deflect blame.

Agree with this. Unfortunately the kid who threw the Rock has already heard his loving Dad try to blame the driver, the school and everyone else who did not throw the rock that day for the broken window. The lesson may have already been lost on the kid as he has undoubtedly parroted to his friends the words of the old man who thinks he can get others to pay up instead of taking personal responsibility for his family members actions.

Kids learn from the words and actions of their parents.

Obviously your son won't be running track in the future. When we were kids if anything like that happened we ran like hell.
Yeah, seriously, Crumb needs to teach his kid to run.

As for those lecturing & chastising someone that their 8 year old kid shouldn't be throwing rocks, do you live under a rock or don't recall your childhood or never had kids? Kids do stupid stuff that they're told not to do because, well, they're kids. We all did. It's part of growing up. /rant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT