ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Standing ovations

RuBird

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
So Steven Cohen has asked Met fans to give Lindor a standing ovation rather than boo him during his struggles. He did respond with a few hits but still not even close to being where he once was. My question if Greg or Pike asked Rutgers fans to give a struggling player a standing ovation could you? Yes I do get baseball different tad compared to other sports since the spotlight is on you when you get up to the plate.

No. Staged as opposed to spontaneous/organic.
Stranger yet, I was talking with Greg the other day about this and he said he was thinking of asking all Syracuse fans to stand up on your opening day and give a loud standing O that GW will be able to hear all the way down here in NJ.
He asked me if I had any ideas of who he could reach out to in order to organize this...lol

Favorite standing O is when Rutgers D stops team 5-6 times in a row and crowd all stands as punt teams line up. In 2006- 2009 crowd knew when to do it.
Especially in games like Illinois where they didn’t crosss midfield until mid 4h Q

Other known sports standing O is when starting pitcher walks off mound after going 7 plus and only giving up 1-2 runs

Reactions: RW90 and newell138
standing ovation applause GIF

We gave Noah a standing O when he had a solid half and gave 110% effort. But it was organic.

My take, neither booing a player or giving a player a standing is going to make much of a difference.

My take, neither booing a player or giving a player a standing is going to make much of a difference.
unless the booing is a college kid that is coming back into a game after being knocked out. At that point- everyone that boos- should get their seats taken from them.
Funny, in that game- no one admits to booing and yet- it was very obvious and pretty damn loud.

Worked very well when Philly fans gave Trea Turner a stadium wide standing ovation last year.

He basically turned his whole season around from that game forward.
You are exactly right. A producer for Philly's biggest sports radio station (WIP) suggested it on social media. He said that Turner was staying up until midnight in the batting cages: that Turner clearly wasn't loafing. But it's one thing to suggest a standing ovation, and quite another for the fans (especially Phillies fans) to do it Turner himself says it caused him to play better.

Reactions: S_Janowski
unless the booing is a college kid that is coming back into a game after being knocked out. At that point- everyone that boos- should get their seats taken from them.
Funny, in that game- no one admits to booing and yet- it was very obvious and pretty damn loud.
That’s the “discussion” I was talking about in my earlier post.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

Well let's be accurate - these days they aren't college kids playing for our alma mater, they're pro athletes wearing your uniform until a better deal comes along.

Pros get boo-ed.

Can't have it both ways.

Well let's be accurate - these days they aren't college kids playing for our alma mater, they're pro athletes wearing your uniform until a better deal comes along.

Pros get boo-ed.

Can't have it both ways.
Let's be even more accurate. Yes, they're legally getting paid by boosters. but they're still the age of college kids and, even more importantly, they are students at the college just as they always were.

Pros get boo-ed.

Can't have it both ways.

Let's be even more accurate. Yes, they're legally getting paid by boosters. but they're still the age of college kids and, even more importantly, they are students at the college just as they always were.
The incident @yesrutgers01 and I were talking about was pre what we are seeing now.

That being said I didn’t then nor do I now feel it’s inappropriate to voice an opinion when someone does something bad (or even) really dumb.

Especially a D1 level P5/B1G level player. I’m sure they’ve heard worse from the sidelines and practice field.

The incident @yesrutgers01 and I were talking about was pre what we are seeing now.

That being said I didn’t then nor do I now feel it’s inappropriate to voice an opinion when someone does something bad (or even) really dumb.

Especially a D1 level P5/B1G level player. I’m sure they’ve heard worse from the sidelines and practice field.
students or not, and openly paid or not, fan criticism and player accountability comes with the territory in big time college athletics. this isn't youth sports.

Oh sure. But there was some topic creep so I threw in my 2 cents about the current reality.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
“It wasn’t hard for Scarlet coach Frank Burns to evaluate the unit that line coach Ted Cottrell, defensive back coaches Pete Savino and Bob Naso have molded into an outstanding mixture of young and old. ‘This is the best defensive football team I’ve ever been involved with,’ declared Burns afterward,” in the November 18, 1974 Targum. “The partisan crowd of 13,500 were aware of the defensive exploits. They honored Bob Naso’s crew vociferously every time the penurious unit completed their assignments.” This was the start of standing ovations and chants of “Defense! Defense!” each time an effective Rutgers defense left the field and would become a Rutgers Stadium tradition for the rest of the decade.

students or not, and openly paid or not, fan criticism and player accountability comes with the territory in big time college athletics. this isn't youth sports.
Criticism and accountability is fair and what we were referring to was well before NIL.
And in fair response- if during a play, a kid drops a pass right in his hands and the stadium has a resounding "arrrggg" type of response- that is very fair. But if that same kid is now coming off the field and you feel the need to boo him- then that is completely wrong(pre NIL- maybe my opinion has moved just a little now with transfer portal and NIL)
And if a player is taken off the field via injury and comes back later- to boo him was pure BS.
I also recall many conversations with Mr Teel- Mike's wife and sister were in the stands all the time but Mr. Teel preferred to stay in a suite. His reason- he would have been arrested for getting into fights every game with the fans booing his son.
My own son, after his football career was over- he sat in the stands with some friends(it was the first time he ever watched a football game from the stands and not the sideline) Swore he never would do it again as our fans were not only very ignorant in the stands but he wanted to rip some heads off of some guys that were booing players.

Even back in one of our games we got crushed by team a few years back- a guy sitting in front of us yelled the following to the team as they walked into the locker room at halftime "you all suck and should hang yourselves while you are in there"

It isn't youth sports but there really are just times that adults in the stands just need to be bigger.

Criticism and accountability is fair and what we were referring to was well before NIL.
And in fair response- if during a play, a kid drops a pass right in his hands and the stadium has a resounding "arrrggg" type of response- that is very fair. But if that same kid is now coming off the field and you feel the need to boo him- then that is completely wrong(pre NIL- maybe my opinion has moved just a little now with transfer portal and NIL)
And if a player is taken off the field via injury and comes back later- to boo him was pure BS.
I also recall many conversations with Mr Teel- Mike's wife and sister were in the stands all the time but Mr. Teel preferred to stay in a suite. His reason- he would have been arrested for getting into fights every game with the fans booing his son.
My own son, after his football career was over- he sat in the stands with some friends(it was the first time he ever watched a football game from the stands and not the sideline) Swore he never would do it again as our fans were not only very ignorant in the stands but he wanted to rip some heads off of some guys that were booing players.

Even back in one of our games we got crushed by team a few years back- a guy sitting in front of us yelled the following to the team as they walked into the locker room at halftime "you all suck and should hang yourselves while you are in there"

It isn't youth sports but there really are just times that adults in the stands just need to be bigger.
all excellent points. question: OK to boo or otherwise berate/cuss officials ? Coaches ? Players on the other team ? To me it's all the same. Accountability across the board.

all excellent points. question: OK to boo or otherwise berate/cuss officials ? Coaches ? Players on the other team ? To me it's all the same. Accountability across the board.
Official- absolutely - YES or OH HELL YES - Coaches- sure but here is where it gets tricky...too many fans use the excuse they are booing the coach not the player.
Players on other teams- no - I always try to consider that most of these kids are pre 20 and son's of a mother and father. It doesn't matter what team they are on- though, it is warranted if that player does something so egregious, such as that Maryland player who stomped on Vrabel. Or let's say a player from another team decides to straight up over taunt a player on our team or our fans- then it is reactionary.

Official- absolutely - YES or OH HELL YES - Coaches- sure but here is where it gets tricky...too many fans use the excuse they are booing the coach not the player.
Players on other teams- no - I always try to consider that most of these kids are pre 20 and son's of a mother and father. It doesn't matter what team they are on- though, it is warranted if that player does something so egregious, such as that Maryland player who stomped on Vrabel. Or let's say a player from another team decides to straight up over taunt a player on our team or our fans- then it is reactionary.
well, truth be told I don't boo because I don't care enough about any particular player, call, coach, whatever. Seen too many games, don't care enough to scream or boo in the moment.

But I see nothing wrong with ripping coaches and players via this site who IMO aren't getting the job done.

Of course players should be held accountable. My point is does booing a player make the player play harder? Does a fake standing ovation make a player like Linder play better? It worked for Turner

Last edited:
well, truth be told I don't boo because I don't care enough about any particular player, call, coach, whatever. Seen too many games, don't care enough to scream or boo in the moment.

But I see nothing wrong with ripping coaches and players via this site who IMO aren't getting the job done.
It's funny- I sort of look at the player discussion on this site to be handled with some tact. Write a criticism as if you were having a conversation with that person. To just scream someone doesnt belong on a D1 field or has a low football IQ without something constructive, just never makes sense to me in any regard, not just sports.

I think I may have first joined this site when our son was playing and I had heard a couple of people were ripping him online for something that really had no reason to be posted. And what I saw, had very little to do with his play on the field or any play in particular. it was just, he sucks, shouldnt have a ship wasted on him, etc. That sort of stuff is not warranted.
If someone wants to say they thought a player really made a dumb play, didn't try hard enough etc and does it constructively, then that is all good discussion.

It's funny- I sort of look at the player discussion on this site to be handled with some tact. Write a criticism as if you were having a conversation with that person. To just scream someone doesnt belong on a D1 field or has a low football IQ without something constructive, just never makes sense to me in any regard, not just sports.

I think I may have first joined this site when our son was playing and I had heard a couple of people were ripping him online for something that really had no reason to be posted. And what I saw, had very little to do with his play on the field or any play in particular. it was just, he sucks, shouldnt have a ship wasted on him, etc. That sort of stuff is not warranted.
If someone wants to say they thought a player really made a dumb play, didn't try hard enough etc and does it constructively, then that is all good discussion.
Dumb play - false start, lining up offisides, etc. in the 7th game on, I’ll groan with the best. Especially if it keeps happening.

Cheap shot - my guy or not, you’ll hear me. And if a blatant one or missed by the officials, even louder.

“It wasn’t hard for Scarlet coach Frank Burns to evaluate the unit that line coach Ted Cottrell, defensive back coaches Pete Savino and Bob Naso have molded into an outstanding mixture of young and old. ‘This is the best defensive football team I’ve ever been involved with,’ declared Burns afterward,” in the November 18, 1974 Targum. “The partisan crowd of 13,500 were aware of the defensive exploits. They honored Bob Naso’s crew vociferously every time the penurious unit completed their assignments.” This was the start of standing ovations and chants of “Defense! Defense!” each time an effective Rutgers defense left the field and would become a Rutgers Stadium tradition for the rest of the decade.
One of the urban legends of the game is that chant started in the bowels of Yankee Stadium in the 50’s when the Giants defense was really making a name for themselves.

One of the urban legends of the game is that chant started in the bowels of Yankee Stadium in the 50’s when the Giants defense was really making a name for themselves.
My earliest remembrance was the 1969-1970 New York Knicks on the run to an NBA Championship.

Dumb play - false start, lining up offisides, etc. in the 7th game on, I’ll groan with the best. Especially if it keeps happening.

Cheap shot - my guy or not, you’ll hear me. And if a blatant one or missed by the officials, even louder.
Agree 100% - and that groan is expected and it is not what anyone would consider a boo.

Write a criticism as if you were having a conversation with that person.
This is a good rule for all of us on this board, not only when we are talking about a player or coach (or public figure), but also when we are answering a comment by another poster that we don't agree with.

This is a good rule for all of us on this board, not only when we are talking about a player or coach (or public figure), but also when we are answering a comment by another poster that we don't agree with.
I have had so many conversations with players on the team in a casual location where I asked- WTF where you thinking or doing on a particular play- but since I asked in in a certain way- it always ended up in a good convo. Often- then player would say "brain fart" and more often, they break down the play and assignments and show me that my eyes don't always see what they saw on a specific play because we have no idea what any player responsibility was.
But, if you couldn't have that conversation with the player/coach with your opinion, then you really shouldnt post it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT