ADVERTISEMENT

Noah: "One thing I love about Rutgers is the people."

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
"When you don’t see it go in but you’re getting that confidence from the people around you, it makes hooping so much easier," Fernandes said. "One thing I love about Rutgers is the people, man. There are such great people here, and in my particular situation with everything going on, it was great to have them in my corner."

Don't forget that Fernandes is a new father. Imagine having a newborn coupled with the demands and microscope of high-major college ball.

"We can get caught up in what we’re going through, but I’ve got a son and I try to be the best role model that I can," Fernandes said. "It makes it a lot easier when you come into the gym and it’s a great vibe; that’s so much better than when there’s negative energy."

The underlying point: You don’t give up on someone as accomplished as Fernandes was at UMass. He didn’t forget how to play. He was slumping bad, his coaches and teammates stuck with him, he embraced his new role, and Wisconsin paid the price.

"In basketball and in life, you can’t just quit," he said. "You’ve got to keep pushing. A real shooter, a real player, a real person isn’t just going to quit."

When Fernandes checked out to a sustained standing ovation late in the second half, he dropped the tunnel-vision focus and allowed himself to soak it in.

"This is my fifth year, my final season, there aren't that many games left, and I want to enjoy it," he said. "That was one of those moments."

Must feel great for Noah. This season obviously didn't go as expected but we desperately need better 3 point shooting. If he can provide that, it would be massive

Interesting thought... with JWill back, would Noah even have been given this opportunity if Austin was healthy?

Must feel great for Noah. This season obviously didn't go as expected but we desperately need better 3 point shooting. If he can provide that, it would be massive

Interesting thought... with JWill back, would Noah even have been given this opportunity if Austin was healthy?
100% on your first paragraph.
Once Jeremiah played his first game, I was cool with Austin having 0 or similar minutes.

Season isn't over..

Reactions: Knight Shift
And if he struggles again maybe remember he has a baby, girlfriend, classes and could have been up the night before with his crying kid before ripping him from your keyboard.
The day these players wanted to be treated like pro athletes and get NIL and Rutgers asking for money from us to pay said player to play for us, that's the day you were allowed to criticize college athletes just like a pro athlete.

Reactions: Kbee3

What if jwill didnt roll his ankle

During some of those horrible games this season, he was clearly a player that cared and that was trying to do whatever he could do to help the team. His energy and effort was clearly there. That situation also magnified his limitations. Having JWill available is now freeing Noah to do some other things, like being in a position to hit a number of 3s today. Glad he was able to have a great game like that. Seems to be a good character guy, and players like that are essential in continuing to build a program for the future, especially through less successful years.

Needless to say, todays game by Noah was one of the best I’ve ever seen live. 5/5 from 3 including one from almost halfcourt, 2 late in the shotclock and one just thrown up randomly seemingly no chance .. not seen than in one game since Quincy Doubt 20 years ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT