ADVERTISEMENT

Cold Hard Truth on Noah Fernandes

Good-Knight

All Conference
Jul 21, 2008
Had a good game, but I don't think anyone would say that he won the game for us. The cold hard truth is that the future of Rutgers does not include Noah Fernandes and the future of Noah Fernandes does not include Rutgers. It is half way through February and Pikes (as typical in his RU tenure but not at Stony Brook) has a rotation that is too damn big . He feeds minutes to guys who add little. At this point good teams have boiled the rotation down to 7. Personally I would not give Noah one more minute of PT. He 35% inside the arc!!! and 34% outside. Not great. He don't see him in the flow on offense or defense. 19 total steals for the SEASON is woeful for a guard on a Pike team and 1.6 assists/gm mostly from an inability to feed Cliff is really the only stat I need to send him to end of the bench that has no cell phone service...next to Oscar and Wolfman.

Last edited:
Cold hard truth.....
We don't know how the game would have gone

Cold hard truth.....
We probably don't beat SHU without him

Cold hard truth......
He is currently our best 3 point shooter

Cold hard truth.....
There is 15 or so minutes for grabs if we want our players rested

Had a good game, but I don't think he anyone would say that he won the game for us. The cold hard truth is that the future of Rutgers does not include Noah Fernandes and the future of Noah Fernandes does not include Rutgers. It is half way through February and Pikes (as typical in his RU tenure but not at Stony Brook) has a rotation that is too damn big . He feeds minutes to guys who add little. At this point good teams have boiled the rotation down to 7. Personally I would not give Noah one more minute of PT. He 35% inside the arc!!! and 34% outside. Not great. He don't see him in the flow on offense or defense. 19 total steals for the SEASON is woeful for a guard on a Pike team and 1.6 assists/gm mostly from an inability to feed Cliff is really the only stat I need to send him to end of the bench that has no cell phone service...next to Oscar and Wolfman.
So he’s 34% outside the arc you say…
Not efficient enough on what planet? I agree he’s struggled finishing at the rim as have most of the guards.

Reactions: ChasRC69
So he’s 34% outside the arc you say…
Not efficient enough on what planet? I agree he’s struggled finishing at the rim as have most of the guards.
34% outside is not good enough when it also comes with 35% from 2. Plus if you tease out his 34%, it was 28% before Wisky. He does not take the tough shots at the end of the shot clock. He's not Geoff Billet bailing us out with desperation heaves. He's not drawing defenses out to the perimeter to guard against his threat from deep. He's picking and choosing his spots, which is what you're suppose to do, but when you do that it should put you closer to 40% shooting.

We've won 3 in a row, so let's pick at the flaws instead of enjoying it is my favorite message board feature. I am not complaining about the complainers, I'm enjoying the ridiculous of it. Noah should play, and let's see if he can get hot.

Dude goes 6-6 (5-5), hitting clutch shot after clutch shot, and he shouldn’t get a minute of P/T? Odd time to make this post.

He has struggled thus far, no doubt, but the Wisconsin game shows us “proof of concept.” The kid can shoot, and maybe, just maybe, he has shaken off the rust from his season ending injury, and has gotten comfortable in Pike’s system and in his role, and can be a plus offensive player from here on out.

At a minimum, you give him time as the fourth guard, and if he produces, you keep him in as we did against Wisky; and if he doesn’t produce, he sits.

It’s a pretty simple formula.

34% outside is not good enough when it also comes with 35% from 2. Plus if you tease out his 34%, it was 28% before Wisky. He does not take the tough shots at the end of the shot clock. He's not Geoff Billet bailing us out with desperation heaves. He's not drawing defenses out to the perimeter to guard against his threat from deep. He's picking and choosing his spots, which is what you're suppose to do, but when you do that it should put you closer to 40% shooting.
There is one problem with your analysis.....Derek Simpson sits too?

Noah ranks first on the team in three point % of the 8 Rutgers players with 15 or more three point attempts, at 34%.

Noah has made 88% of his free throws, easily inside the top 10% of players nationally on this shooting metric, the most objective measure for comparing shooters.

At the end of a close game, Noah must be on the court. Noah is most likely to hit a clutch 3 to close a deficit, and Noah is the guy to make free throws to protect a narrow lead.

There is one problem with your analysis.....Derek Simpson sits too?
Derek is not having a great season but he does have a future with RU. Better investment for the future to add 4 or 5 min/pg for Derek. I'd give JaMike a couple of Noah's minutes. He commits fewer fouls and turnovers, more steals, rebounds, and assists...his terrible FT% is tough to take. Both have been horrible finishers, but I think JaMike has an upside.

Derek is not having a great season but he does have a future with RU. Better investment for the future to add 4 or 5 min/pg for Derek. I'd give JaMike a couple of Noah's minutes. He commits fewer fouls and turnovers, more steals, rebounds, and assists...his terrible FT% is tough to take. Both have been horrible finishers, but I think JaMike has an upside.
Assuming JWill and JaMike are back going to be real tough for Simpson to get minutes.

Assuming JWill and JaMike are back going to be real tough for Simpson to get minutes.
Pike allocates minutes in mysterious ways. For example, Pike played Cam less than UConn's Dan H plays Cam. Pike should've played Cam 38 minutes at RU.

How much do you think Fernandez plays in a normal situation? He really won't get a ton of minutes unless a guard or two gets into foul trouble (JWill against Maryland) or he gets hot. He only played 4 minutes against Michigan.

How can you sit him after he didnt miss a shot last game and scored 17 points? 5/5 beyond the arc.

Elite 3 point shooting from him is probably one of the only ways we'll make an NCAA Tournament (Or someone else making 3's but ........ so far no one else can besides Hyatt)

Reactions: Scangg
This is what happens on snow days when fans may not have too much to do or didn't have to travel to the office.....apologies to our RU readers that didn't have to shovel or move snow around or live outside the Northeast area......

There's 4 hours until more CBB games are on TV.....!!😁

The team is trying to win games this year. So the teams or Noah's future is irrelevant to this argument. His minutes have decreased but him and Hyatt coming off the bench give you some nice scoring punch with the second unit. One of the strengths of this new lineup, bench depth..

This is what happens on snow days when fans may not have too much to do or didn't have to travel to the office.....apologies to our RU readers that didn't have to shovel or move snow around or live outside the Northeast area......

There's 4 hours until more CBB games are on TV.....!!😁
He might be trolling, idk I can never tell these days lol

• Haha
Reactions: Scangg
Noah is like a utility player.

Sometimes you need him to handle the ball, other times you need him to (hopefully) knock down threes, and oftentimes he will be very valuable in endgame situations when we need a reliable FT shooter.

When utilized properly, our team can be very successful with players like Noah coming off the bench.

Noah is a great bench player who deserves about 8 to 10 minutes per game on average, more so if he is playing well, and less if he is not playing well.

With the transfer situation like it is now, playing for next year is basically a thing of the past. No one is guaranteed to be here next year. Play who you have now to win now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT