ADVERTISEMENT

“I was playing guards that can make plays”

MCKnight2004

Senior
Oct 25, 2012
Coach Pikes answer when asked why only 3 min for Hyatt and Mag in 2nd half

Stunning answer Considering we don’t have reliable guards that make plays. Outside of Davis tonight, no one played well. Hard to single out your two veterans in Mag and Hyatt, your leading scorer and only some what decent shooter.

Guards making plays
Simpson -1-7 FG 3 assists 3 TO
A Williams– 1-3 and 1-5 FT 0 assist 2 TO
Noah -0-4 2 TO 3 assist

Line ups were puzzling. Oscar and Austin are not big ten level players and should be used sparingly. Slap in the face to our most reliable player in Hyatt, the only player without a TO tonight

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs

Stunning answer Considering we don’t have reliable guards that make plays. Outside of Davis tonight, no one played well. Hard to single out your two veterans in Mag and Hyatt, your leading scorer and only some what decent shooter.

Guards making plays
Noah -0-4 2 TO 3 assist

Line ups were puzzling. Oscar and Austin are not big ten level players and should be used sparingly. Slap in the face to our most reliable player in Hyatt, the only player without a TO tonight
Still doesn't explain Palmquists minutes over Hyatt?

Agree, Palmquist I feel he plays and prays he hits a couple 3s like he did one or two time in his 5 year career? Since we have no shooters…id rather he five minutes to Chol if he insists on going ten deep

Guards making plays
Noah -0-4 2 TO 3 assist

I’d prefer players that can make good plays. Or potentially can make good plays. Davis is an energy guy but can’t shoot. Simpson dominates the ball and primarily takes contested 18 foot footers which he mostly misses. Noah has not fit in at all. Williams was a disaster all night and cannot make a free throw but it’s Mag and Hyatt, the only player without a turnover, that get benched in the second half. Hyatt is our best offensive player and Davis quadrupled Hyatt’s attempts tonight. Oskar is Oskar. There’s a reason he’s barely played for four years. Cliff benefitted from playing with good passers that knew how to get him the ball where he needed it. No one on this team can do that. Wolf has regressed. Griffiths is lost defensively and is a turnover machine but at least we think there’s a scorer/shooter in there somewhere.

By benching Mag and Hyatt the coaches did not give us a chance to win. If Pikiell was willing to tank a game to send some type of message to his veterans then he was successful. I’d prefer to avoid embarrassing losses personally.

I’d prefer players that can make good plays. Or potentially can make good plays. Davis is an energy guy but can’t shoot. Simpson dominates the ball and primarily takes contested 18 foot footers which he mostly misses. Noah has not fit in at all. Williams was a disaster all night and cannot make a free throw but it’s Mag and Hyatt, the only player without a turnover, that get benched in the second half. Hyatt is our best offensive player and Davis quadrupled Hyatt’s attempts tonight. Oskar is Oskar. There’s a reason he’s barely played for four years. Cliff benefitted from playing with good passers that knew how to get him the ball where he needed it. No one on this team can do that. Wolf has regressed. Griffiths is lost defensively and is a turnover machine but at least we think there’s a scorer/shooter in there somewhere.

By benching Mag and Hyatt the coaches did not give us a chance to win. If Pikiell was willing to tank a game to send some type of message to his veterans then he was successful. I’d prefer to avoid embarrassing losses personally.
Mag stunk tonight. Not sure what was the deal with Hyatt.

Reactions: cshelley
Admittedly I wasn't focused on Hyatt. Why would he have earned the dog house tonight, lack of effort?
Not sure myself. I saw.
1. Bad shot selection (2)
2. Missed layup

Knowing Pike
3. Missed drebs or mistake on D (didnt identify these thiugh)

Reactions: RW90
Admittedly I wasn't focused on Hyatt. Why would he have earned the dog house tonight, lack of effort?
Did you see how he went up for that layup he missed??? Soffffffft

Benched after that

Instead of a guard heavy lineup when we have the worst guards ever, I'd like to see Pike try a big lineup and crash the offensive glass

JMike Gavin Hyatt Mag Cliff

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I would have loved to see Ogbole or Chol to help on the boards. I will not be surprised if Chol transfers at the end of the season. He looks good in practice but hardly ever sees the floor. Personally I see him trying so hard with energy as well but he never really gets a chance. I have a feeling Ogbole hasn't played so perhaps the plan is to red shirt him so we can have him for 3 more years. I also wonder if Woolfolk will return if we have Somerville and Ogbole as centers and Bailey and Mag probably at power forward. Imagine if Cliff ever came back as that would leave Somerville to not get many minutes when he is very big and can shoot threes also. I have no idea what our team will look like next year but this season so far has been so very disappointing. Tonight was one of the worst games I have seen by an RU team over about the last 7 years. It was so disheartening.

I would have loved to see Ogbole or Chol to help on the boards. I will not be surprised if Chol transfers at the end of the season. He looks good in practice but hardly ever sees the floor. Personally I see him trying so hard with energy as well but he never really gets a chance. I have a feeling Ogbole hasn't played so perhaps the plan is to red shirt him so we can have him for 3 more years. I also wonder if Woolfolk will return if we have Somerville and Ogbole as centers and Bailey and Mag probably at power forward. Imagine if Cliff ever came back as that would leave Somerville to not get many minutes when he is very big and can shoot threes also. I have no idea what our team will look like next year but this season so far has been so very disappointing. Tonight was one of the worst games I have seen by an RU team over about the last 7 years. It was so disheartening.
Ogbole is already 22 years old. Very unlikely he will be here for 3 more years.

Reactions: Scangg
“Slap in the face to our most reliable player in Hyatt.” Since you can’t actually slap a player in the face, next best thing is “Pine time.” Pikes is not even a benching type coach, so when he does he’s gotta be pretty upset.

Simpson, JMike and Gavin all saw a minutes bump last night. While it could be an outlier last night may have been the shift to the future. It needed to happen because this season was dead but at home against a very average PSU team in a winnable game seems like a weird spot to make the switch.

I am really curious how the minutes look at Michigan.

Agree with all of this. However, there are barely any winnable games on the schedule so this is the wrong one to send a message, unless something more serious is going on. There is absolutely zero chemistry with this team. They kind of all look miserable and lost out there….like they are looking for leadership from anyone and there is none.

There is absolutely zero chemistry with this team. They kind of all look miserable and lost out there….like they are looking for leadership from anyone and there is none.
You are spot on. It looks like they've never played together before and each player is trying to do his own thing.

Reactions: Mr Magoo

Guards making plays
Noah -0-4 2 TO 3 assist

Mag and Hyatt should have been in playing. Guard play we have none. It’s like watching the same over and over… what was Pikiell thinking when he says that? He’s playing Osker over Hyatt and Mawot brilliant.

And right after the missed bunny ( every game) on next possession - Hyatt took an ill advised 3. Didn’t notice it but I’m sure there were defensive lapses sprinkled in.
One of the most selfish players I've ever seen at Rutgers. Staff just lets everyone do whatever they want. They're awful.

Last edited:

Guards making plays
Noah -0-4 2 TO 3 assist

And we got killed on the boards down the stretch. He's just throwing s%&t against the wall to see what sticks.

After the blown layup Hyatt did mope a bit but he got back and was credited with a steal... really the PSU guy beat him off the dribble and help defense arrived and the PSU guy panicked and turned to pass and threw it Hyatt. It wasn't what you want but it's not like he was the only one struggling out there. I thought the corner three he attempted on the next possession was fine. That's supposed to be the most valuable shot in the sport.

Mag and Hyatt should have been in playing. Guard play we have none. It’s like watching the same over and over… what was Pikiell thinking when he says that? He’s playing Osker over Hyatt and Mawot brilliant.
Absolutely

Almost everyone said the season is over....we should be playing for the future. Now that we are playing for the future and losing to penn State people are asking why Hyatt and Mag didn't play.

Can't have it both ways.

Almost everyone said the season is over....we should be playing for the future. Now that we are playing for the future and losing to penn State people are asking why Hyatt and Mag didn't play.

Can't have it both ways.
you cant play them no minutes...the issue is playing people at certain times and not playing them at certain times. Gavin was not in at the right moments in this game when he needed to be.

you cant play them no minutes...the issue is playing people at certain times and not playing them at certain times. Gavin was not in at the right moments in this game when he needed to be.
With the risk of sounding like NJHawk and latching on to something that no one agrees with and potentially could be wrong......but here goes.

Gavin passed my test of not being a flaming liability on D (big positive takeaway from a brutal gmae BTW). he was late on a few close outs and didn't get defensive rebounds when he could of but by in large he didn't kill us on defense.

Where Gavin hurt is the most last night....and maybe you pin this on Pike and that would be fair.....Gavin was out there with 3 guards because Pike wanted to make sure gavin could hold his own defending the PSU 4 (#24? or the red head kid O'Boyle). That completely changed our entire rotations.

We finally start giving Gavin minutes and we have our worse loss of the year. Wasn't gavin's fault for sure, but him getting minutes completely changes everything.

I am OK with it, but it is a simple reality. Not a coincidence that for the 1st time we saw all 3 PG together and gavin getting real minutes.

With the obligatory acknowledgment that there is no good lineup, I'd rather see us go with one guard instead of three.

Davis
Griffiths
Hyatt
Mag
Cliff

I don't think any of the guards we have are really capable of playing off the ball... Williams to an extent I guess (and this is what Pikiell realizes I believe and why he's been starting).

• Love
Reactions: RUBOB72 and Scangg

Can't have it both ways.
Except this doesn't explain away Palmquist's minutes last night.

That said, I think last night was a horrible choice to start focusing solely on the future as probably our best opportunity for a win on the remaining schedule.

Can't have it both ways.
"Playing for the future" does not come into the equation when the guy on the floor in the 2nd half is Oskar instead of Hyatt or Mag.

Pikell - who created this muck of a team - faces the following Catch 22 Scenario every game: Do I substitute in for Player A whose performance on the court is putrid for Player B whose play is typically nauseating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT