ADVERTISEMENT

“I was playing guards that can make plays”

Except this doesn't explain away Palmquist's minutes last night.

That said, I think last night was a horrible choice to start focusing solely on the future as probably our best opportunity for a win on the remaining schedule.
It actually does.

i don't know the reason for Palm over Hyatt or Mag down the stretch, but I am confident the decision was sound and with an eye for the future.

Oskar and Hyatt and probably Mag aren't going to be here next year. Having certain expectations while you are on the court will be back next year, I hope.

With the obligatory acknowledgment that there is no good lineup, I'd rather see us go with one guard instead of three.

Davis
Griffiths
Hyatt
Mag
Cliff

I don't think any of the guards we have are really capable of playing off the ball... Williams to an extent I guess (and this is what Pikiell realizes I believe and why he's been starting).
I mean. Noah is not capable of playing on the ball. So.

Reactions: kcg88
Pikell - who created this muck of a team - faces the following Catch 22 Scenario every game: Do I substitute in for Player A whose performance on the court is putrid for Player B whose play is typically nauseating.
or player C who tries like heck but is terrible or player D who works really hard on D, fixed the defensive rebounding problem on his own, doesn't pass and shoots off balanced wide open 3s with 13 seconds on the shot clock. or Player E who talks to the team manager during timeouts and has no idea what is going on or Player F that everyone cheers when he is on the court

• Haha
Reactions: fatsam98
Simpson, JMike and Gavin all saw a minutes bump last night. While it could be an outlier last night may have been the shift to the future. It needed to happen because this season was dead but at home against a very average PSU team in a winnable game seems like a weird spot to make the switch.

I am really curious how the minutes look at Michigan.
They weren't playing more bc they are younger, they were playing bc they were the 3 giving the most effort and it wasn't even close

With the obligatory acknowledgment that there is no good lineup, I'd rather see us go with one guard instead of three.

Davis
Griffiths
Hyatt
Mag
Cliff

I don't think any of the guards we have are really capable of playing off the ball... Williams to an extent I guess (and this is what Pikiell realizes I believe and why he's been starting).
I said the same thing. Our guard play has been horrific. The answer isn't play more guards. It's play less. Let's try a bigger lineup and attempt to get more OREB for points since we know we can't shoot anyway

Did you see how he went up for that layup he missed??? Soffffffft

Benched after that
What about layup by Simpson at the end the defender gave him the layup and he of course thought he was going to get fouled so he missed the layup so badly because he was so out of balance instead of just going up to dunk the ball!! I almost died when that happened

Oskar’s family was in town for the game. Pike is the type of coach who would work to get a guy in that position more minutes.
So essentially play a guy all those minutes who gives us no chance to win just because his parents are; That's lame

What about layup by Simpson at the end the defender gave him the layup and he of course thought he was going to get fouled so he missed the layup so badly because he was so out of balance instead of just going up to dunk the ball!! I almost died when that happened
The difference is Simpson was hustling all over the court. Pike rewarding effort with playing time

Unfortunately Simpson is the worst shooting guard I've ever seen

Almost everyone said the season is over....we should be playing for the future. Now that we are playing for the future and losing to penn State people are asking why Hyatt and Mag didn't play.

Can't have it both ways.

Hyatt did not deserve (just based on his observed play) to be benched for Oskar. The layup miss was bad, yes, but it happens and wasn’t due to lack of effort.

He only took 3 other shots the whole game. Made lay up. 1) First possession of game. 2) Missed 3 pointer at 16:55 mark (I believe there was 5-6 seconds left on the shot clock). 3) right after the missed lay up he got a steal and then missed a 3 on the next offensive possession. It wasn’t a good shot but then I can understand his frustration. He’s our leading scorer and outside of Cliff probably the most efficient one too. Why wasn’t anyone getting him the ball?

Hyatt did not deserve (just based on his observed play) to be benched for Oskar. The layup miss was bad, yes, but it happens and wasn’t due to lack of effort.

He only took 3 other shots the whole game. Made lay up. 1) First possession of game. 2) Missed 3 pointer at 16:55 mark (I believe there was 5-6 seconds left on the shot clock). 3) right after the missed lay up he got a steal and then missed a 3 on the next offensive possession. It wasn’t a good shot but then I can understand his frustration. He’s our leading scorer and outside of Cliff probably the most efficient one too. Why wasn’t anyone getting him the ball?
which leads me to believe it could be something more....maybe something not related to his actually play

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT