ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers/Bills game Sunday @1, cold, lots of snow!

Bullshit they postponed! I picked Steelers to cover because of the elements, moving the game helps Buffalo SMDH
My sarcasm meter doesn't always work. So I will just say that I hope this post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Reactions: Jimpeg
You don’t want to put anyone at risk but I’m not sure people who live in NJ etc appreciate how often Buffalo gets these storms. It’s a way of life there. I don’t care either way but it’s amazing how well upstate NY handles snow.

Actual field surface will be about 50 degrees -- KC has a heated field
Not what the announcers were saying at halftime of the current broadcast. They were standing on the field saying it was icy, frozen and hard as a rock. Sometimes the heating systems can’t keep up with Mother Nature.

Reactions: RULoyal
Not what the announcers were saying at halftime of the current broadcast. They were standing on the field saying it was icy, frozen and hard as a rock. Sometimes the heating systems can’t keep up with Mother Nature.

From a previous cold weather game:

In addition to the soil temperature, the cold weather also has an effect on how Hamilton and company handle the tarp coming off the field before the game, which you'll see on Sunday before the game against the Titans.

"We're going to blow heat underneath the tarp because what happens is the moisture from the ground comes up from the bottom of the tarp, condensates and forms ice," Hamilton said of the rise in soil temperature from the system. "So we're going to keep the ice from forming on the bottom side of the tarp, but the unknown is when we pull that tarp off and it's three or four degrees Sunday morning, it may instantly frost.

"We may have what looks like a frozen field, but it will be is just the blades of grass having frost on them. The soil itself and the root zone itself will be warm."

Spanky is a moderator and doesn’t understand that this was cancelled for safety reasons !!’ Wow !!! @DJ Spanky you want workers to risk life and limb ?? If so, wow just wow ! I look forward to your response as a moderator ans supposedly a responsible person
Unbelievable .

Not even sure what you're ranting about or why my being a moderator makes any difference about my expressing an opinion about an NFL game. There have been other games in as bad or worse conditions which have been played, so why change this one. But hey, you do you. Unbelievable!

From a previous cold weather game:

In addition to the soil temperature, the cold weather also has an effect on how Hamilton and company handle the tarp coming off the field before the game, which you'll see on Sunday before the game against the Titans.

"We're going to blow heat underneath the tarp because what happens is the moisture from the ground comes up from the bottom of the tarp, condensates and forms ice," Hamilton said of the rise in soil temperature from the system. "So we're going to keep the ice from forming on the bottom side of the tarp, but the unknown is when we pull that tarp off and it's three or four degrees Sunday morning, it may instantly frost.

"We may have what looks like a frozen field, but it will be is just the blades of grass having frost on them. The soil itself and the root zone itself will be warm."
Okay. I’ll take your word for it. You going or playing tonight? I think I’ll listen to the folks actually standing there tonight.

Not even sure what you're ranting about or why my being a moderator makes any difference about my expressing an opinion about an NFL game. There have been other games in as bad or worse conditions which have been played, so why change this one. But hey, you do you. Unbelievable!
You don’t have a concern for public safety ?
That’s why it was postponed

Reactions: RULegacy
There have been other games in as bad or worse conditions which have been played, so why change this one. But hey, you do you. Unbelievable!
In all matters NFL, this one included, the standards of yesterday are not the standards of today. We can debate whether that is good. We cannot debate whether that is true.

Reactions: RUPete
In all matters NFL, this one included, the standards of yesterday are not the standards of today. We can debate whether that is good. We cannot debate whether that is true.
Thank you for posting that. That is the main debate and I think it extends beyond the NFL.

I think my point is why Buffalo (where folks are kinda used to it) but play on in KC where it’s supposed to be worse?
Drivability is a big factor.

But I just saw a clip of Buffalo, and you can't really play in that. Probably would be very difficult to watch on TV. Wind and snow really cutting visability, which cold does not.

Not sure if these conditions continue till original game time, but if so, I can def see why they postponed.

This article gives a little more insight as to the postponement:

2024 NFL playoffs: Steelers vs. Bills Super Wild Card Weekend game postponed to Monday due to weather The New York governor made the announcement Saturday

Governor Hochul posted on social media that travel is going to be extremely dangerous in Western New York, and that a full travel ban has been implemented for Erie County starting at 9 p.m.

The Steelers have not traveled to Buffalo and are scheduled to leave on Sunday, according to CBS Sports Lead NFL Insider Jonathan Jones.

Sounds like it could have affected the Steelers ability to get there.

Buffalo is under a winter storm warning from 10 a.m. Saturday until 7 a.m. Monday morning. Heavy lake effect snow and strong winds are expected this weekend, while snow accumulations in the area could range from 1 to 3 feet.

Heating system has to be however many inches below the surface, so intense cold can overcome the heating system at the surface.

But I just saw a clip of Buffalo, and you can't really play in that. Probably would be very difficult to watch on TV. Wind and snow really cutting visability, which cold does not.

They could play in it, it's been done before. Look at the fog game in Chicago which was held even though you couldn't see a damn thing on camera. I think the travel dangers are the main concern here.

They could play in it, it's been done before. Look at the fog game in Chicago which was held even though you couldn't see a damn thing on camera. I think the travel dangers are the main concern here.
Fog is zero wind. And most likely mildish temps.

Blizzard is numerous factors. Could you play in it? I guess at some level. And truthfully the NFL would probably love this game on their resume.

But yeah travel concerns are significant.

I get postponing the game, but damn, I really wanted to see them play in a raging Lake Effect Snowstorm, although with snow as heavy as expected, "seeing" anything would've been difficult.

Reactions: Plum Street
My point was visibility. Look up the game: the announcers basically had to guess what was happening on the field.
Yeah, but was that the best way to deal with it? Either way, the fog bowl is a bad comparison since the game started out clear and fine then the lake fog rolled in.

I get postponing the game, but damn, I really wanted to see them play in a raging Lake Effect Snowstorm, although with snow as heavy as expected, "seeing" anything would've been difficult.
It’s not about you and the snow. 😂

Fog is zero wind. And most likely mildish temps.

Blizzard is numerous factors. Could you play in it? I guess at some level. And truthfully the NFL would probably love this game on their resume.

But yeah travel concerns are significant.
Yep . Hochul probably told goodell we can’t do this safely. Then it got postoponed

Yep . Hochul probably told goodell we can’t do this safely. Then it got postoponed
Vid I saw legit looked like if you were trying to hold the first down markers....you just wouldn't be able to.

I think, or at least hope travel, and fan safety was the main concern(and of course team safety in terms of driving to the game), but there are some weather conditions that are impossible to play in. What I saw may have been that.

Yes I'm sure 75,000 people that were going to the game are experienced driving in blizzard conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT