ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse HC Fran Brown on GETTING THE JOB + Trev Alberts Interview

Cuse will get a recruit or two we wanted and all things were equal. They may get a couple we really wanted but they offered more money.
It is what it is- and if those guys are good- they will leave them for greener and sunnier pastures

Interesting. I wonder if Fran is so confident, because he doesn't see Greg as a real threat. He obviously wants to build his program up, by stacking up Jersey talent. And he doesn't see Schiano as someone who can get in his way

Every coach thinks they can do it. Until they don't.

Reactions: rurichdog
Maybe it’s naïveté and I don’t follow recruiting much.

Is Fran Brown a better recruiter than HC Schiano?
Head to head - equal circumstances.
Is Brown taking a player that Schiano wants?

Isn’t the answer an easy no?

This isn’t even getting into other Rutgers advantages over Syracuse.

Sure there might be extenuating circumstances - not a priority for us, family connection to Syracuse, location.

But absent those factors - how much of a threat is Fran Brown while Schiano is here?

Sure there might be extenuating circumstances - not a priority for us, family connection to Syracuse, location.

But absent those factors - how much of a threat is Fran Brown while Schiano is here?
Fran is like a fly that circle your food while you are eating.

Reactions: TRU2RU

A good recruiter is always a threat, until he proves as a HC he isn't very good at winning.
Too many of NJ's HS talent look out of state , Fran is a flavor of month now and has good connections within the NJ HS coaching fraternity so he will be a threat to Greg until Syracuse football proves it's not going to be a top program under Brown

Schiano keeps on having RU looking like it's becoming better, Greg will stay ahead in the race for talent and have some of the talent that would normally look out of state to play , decide to stay home and play for RU

Reactions: Knight Shift

Head to Head & even circumstances, Fran is a better recruiter since he is younger and can connect with the player. Schiano is a boomer in comparison. Schiano as a head coach will get you to the NFL. Not sure sure about Fran at this time but he stunk as a DB coach.

Reactions: wheezer

NIL has quickly become the biggest factor in recruiting the top ranked prospects regardless if you are Brown, Schiano or anyone else.

Kirby Smart says it’s one of the first questions kids now ask. “How much can I get compensated?”

How a coach plans to develop them, your history of sending players to the league and academic reputation etc. are now secondary. It’s already a fact that Players have no issue jumping ship Multiple times in their college career. It’s now follow the money and play for pay for many.

Last edited:
NIL is quickly becoming the biggest factor in recruiting the top ranked prospects regardless if you are Brown, Schiano or anyone else.

Kirby Smart says it’s one of the first questions kids now ask. “How much can I get compensated?”

How a coach plans to develop them, your history of sending players to the league and academic reputation etc. are now secondary. It’s already a fact that Players have no issue jumping ship Multiple times in their college career. It’s now follow the money for many.
I sometimes wonder if our son would have been swayed by it- keeping in mind that he would not have been getting offerred 6-7 figures out of HS- As a Sr- on his way to the NFL- there may have been much bigger money.

But I know that USF and UCF both promised him to start on Day 1. But, he just didn't connect with the players down there. He was kind of funny when he explained it- "they all wear clothes we were wearing 3 years ago and their music is even older" - And not a damn one of them ever ate at a real steakhouse. lol

Just wanted to stay in NJ

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUTBAY1
You must have been one of the ones who said Fran Brown would have no impact on our recruiting.
Clearly clueless. LMAO
To this point, he hasn’t. The guy still hasn’t landed anyone we wanted. Still hasn’t beat out Greg in a head to head recruiting battle.

As soon as he got the job he called Korey Duff who stuck with us.

To this point, he hasn’t. The guy still hasn’t landed anyone we wanted. Still hasn’t beat out Greg in a head to head recruiting battle.

As soon as he got the job he called Korey Duff who stuck with us.
Syracuse is currently on a mission to flip the 2025 OL commit from Matawan with an upgraded NIL package.

It’s apparent that many do not grasp the concept that The new definition of a good recruiter includes overwhelmingly who can provide the better NIL compensation package not necessarily who may be the better recruiter in the old sense of that description.

Last edited:
Syracuse is currently on a mission to flip the 2025 OL commit from Matawan with an upgraded NIL package.

It’s apparent that many do not understand that The new definition of a good recruiter includes who can provide the better NIL compensation package not necessarily who may be the better recruiter in the old sense of that description.
That's a very good point. A fair rating of the top recruiters should be scaled to the amount of NIL money paid per recruit. Of course, that is not possible because the actual NIL paid in most cases kept secret.

It’s apparent that many do not grasp the concept that The new definition of a good recruiter includes overwhelmingly who can provide the better NIL compensation package not necessarily who may be the better recruiter in the old sense of that description.
I don’t see Syracuse offer for him on three sites. Sure if you offer enough money , a player will go anywhere. The only reason to go to Syracuse is the money since he has offers from all the powerhouse football programs. Syracuse may overpay for a recruit just to brag they beat Rutgers for a recruit. I would think they need to offer another million dollar to get a QB for next year so they need to allocate their money wisely. Some of you think they have unlimited funds for NIL but they have a thread of donor fatigue already.

What’s funny is no other ACC team is worried about Syracuse recruiting but Rutgers fans, who are scared of their own shadow, feel they are a threat. No mention of Syracuse on any other site other than Syracuse. I know we have a lot of fans with nothing to do so we come up with threads about cutting grass, one word thread, Bitcoin , and EZ pass.

Last edited:
I don’t see Syracuse offer for him on three sites. Sure if you offer enough money , a player will go anywhere. The only reason to go to Syracuse is the money since he has offers from all the powerhouse football programs. I would think they need to offer another million dollar to get a QB for next year so they need to allocate their money wisely.

What’s funny is no other ACC team is worried about Syracuse recruiting but Rutgers fans, who are scared of their own shadow, feel they are a threat. No mention of Syracuse on any other site other than Syracuse.
Perhaps that is because there are no ACC schools in NY or NJ besides Syracuse. Nobody used the words worried or scared in this thread. I stated Fran may be a PITA on recruiting. When a formidable recruiter states that he plans to make NJ and NYC a priority for recruiting, it's probably a good idea to pay attention. It's worth watching. You used the words scared and worried. That's on you.

NIL has quickly become the biggest factor in recruiting the top ranked prospects regardless if you are Brown, Schiano or anyone else.

How a coach plans to develop them, your history of sending players to the league and academic reputation etc. are now secondary. It’s already a fact that Players have no issue jumping ship Multiple times in their college career. It’s now follow the money and play for pay for many.

Wasn't the top question previosuly "Will I play and compete for conference and national championships?" for elite recruits?

I would say that removing or minimizing those questions from recruiting greatly benefits us.
We literally have no chance at overcoming that obstacle.

Wasn't the top question previosuly "Will I play and compete for conference and national championships?" for elite recruits?

I would say that removing or minimizing those questions from recruiting greatly benefits us.
We literally have no chance at overcoming that obstacle.
That’s probably their second question once they’re satisfied with the school’s response to their NIL expectations and certainly hasn’t been removed from the equation.

Reactions: NickRU714

Better recruiter than Schaino ? Obviously not.
Better than Barbers ? 1000% better. In Brown’s 1st class at Syracuse he got 4 of the Top 12 NJ recruits. Barbers never got more than one in his 6 years at Syracuse. Will impact our recruiting.

We know NIL is a part of recruiting.

If all things equal- Fran @Cuse is not going to out recruit Greg at RU. If NIL or playing time is a factor- a kid my choose the tundra
agree , but if Fran doesn't show he can win the NIL money might not come like now and
not be the factor it is now to brings in the talent.
Making Brown's ability to build and coach a winner so much harder and his job in jeopardy
Win and NIL money will be there to help recruiting, Fran and staff being good enough to keep the Boosters happy, by winning, is the question

Reactions: yesrutgers01
The premise that it's a zero sum game is faulty I believe. There's no reason cuse and RU both could not succeed---It could be BC, Pitt and Penn sttae that suffer if GS and Brown recruit well.

To read this site one would be led to believe that if either Brown or GS gets a player it's the other that suffers--and no one else.

I think GS will continue to recruit solidly and if this upcoming year plays out like we all hope, will take it to another level.

I also think Brown will recruit well. His coaching and staff development will dictate his future. Pitt BC Temple etc may lose players they used to get to Brown in the next few years.

If both Schiano and Brown were let's say at Rutgers (I think that might have happened at one point, not sure), who would Schiano himself say is the better recruiter and more in tune with today's African American kids? Here is an idea for you, ask Schiano that question if you get the chance. LOL!!

Now, Brown coaching at crappy Syracuse has a distinct disadvantage compared to Schiano coaching at Rutgers, put Brown at Penn State in a couple of years if he is successful at Syracuse and that would be another story.

Good listen. Their schedule is horrific this year so they should be able to take advantage of that. Rutgers o/u would probably be 9.5-10 wins with that schedule

Good listen. Their schedule is horrific this year so they should be able to take advantage of that. Rutgers o/u would probably be 9.5-10 wins with that schedule
Yes. Hope our own fans and their fans don't stir the pot with that nonsense schedule. Cal will be a good measuring stick game for them. I follow Cal because a buddy went there. While Cal has not set the world on fire with their W-L record, they lost two games last year by1 point and 7 points and the year before, 5 of their losses were by a touchdown or less. The switched to a freshman QB out of Miami in November, and he looked pretty good. @rucoe89 may have more on Cal.

And BTW, Cal's Coach has been there 7 years and went 7-6 in year 2 and 8-5 in year 3 without a raise--he's currently making $3.05 million per year.

Last edited:
We're doomed.

That was very inappropriate to say.......

................without the following graphic:

8bGOntC.gif

@Knight Shift I'm socked at you liking his post when it's missing this crucial component. Shocked I say!!!

Yes. Hope our own fans and their fans don't stir the pot with that nonsense schedule. Cal will be a good measuring stick game for them. I follow Cal because a buddy went there. While Cal has not set the world on fire with their W-L record, they lost two games last year by1 point and 7 points and the year before, 5 of their losses were by a touchdown or less. The switched to a freshman QB out of Miami in November, and he looked pretty good. @rucoe89 may have more on Cal.

And BTW, Cal's Coach has been there 7 years and went 7-6 in year 2 and 8-5 in year 3 without a raise--he's currently making $3.05 million per year.
Going into Spring ball (starts tomorrow at Cal), Fernando Mendoza (as @Knight Shift notes is out of Miami) is the number 1 QB. Cal did bring in Chandler Rogers from LA-Monroes/North Texas to compete with him. Cal is solid at RB with Jayden Ott returning, but like Rutgers, has questions at WR. Cal also needed to upgrade its OL some too and did that with a couple of solid transfers from Stanford and Texas A&M. They will have a new OL coach, but he was the run game coordinator last year and Cal did well in the run game so the hope is that will continue. Defense has historically been Wilcox's forte, but last year it was felt they underperformed at times. Good core, though with LB defense, they are led by LBs Cade Ulave and David Reese and DB Craig Woodson. DL has good size, but has to produce more this year.

This team gave teams like Auburn a scare but also put up some WTF games. Wilcox made changes to the staff in offseaon which hopefully pay dividends. This is a program that has national potential, but the last decade has been mired by an AD that frankly is Fred Gruninger like (AD is Jim Knowlton, former Army DB). Many are not a fan of him and feel Cal got left out of the alignment musical chairs becuase of his incompetence with Football and Mens and Women's basketball. Recent moves have been better but may be a case study in "too little, too late." Wasn't a huge fan of bringing Wilcox back, but he has shown he can be good, but he needs to upgrade the staff around him. Mark Madsen was a solid hire for Men's BB and Charmin Smith is slowly getting the Women's team turned around.

Last edited:
Fran was a desperation hire. No other school would look at him as a HC.

He's a recruiter. And a very below average at best coach. The HC role requires a lot more than recruiting chops. That's more the assistants job.

He's in way over his head. But let's be real. You hire a guy like Fran when you have no viable options. Long shot, but their only shot.
What does "very below average" mean ? And, how do you know ?

Are you sure? 2025 seems to be shaping up well for Fran and co.

2025-top-10.png
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

A little early to be celebrating.

2 players on that list had Rutgers offers, one was from Syracuse, and who knows if they were even committable offers. Calm down already. The poster you responded to was talking in the past tense.

And one of those 2 recruits was a running back. See this:

Are you sure? 2025 seems to be shaping up well for Fran and co.

2025-top-10.png
Fran doing very well in NY with 5 recruits but has only 1 NJ recruit so far. Fran, learning from Greg, getting early recruits to show up high in the rating early in the process. Have to wait to be able to compare the two recruiting classes.

Reactions: drewbagel423
What does "very below average" mean ? And, how do you know ?
It means he sucked. I saw how he coached our DBs. If I had to give him a coaching nickname it would be Coach Toast because that's what was happening to our DB's when they played for him.

How do I know he was a desperate hire? It's Syracuse. They hired a recruiter because that's all they could get.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

A little early to be celebrating.

2 players on that list had Rutgers offers, one was from Syracuse, and who knows if they were even committable offers. Calm down already. The poster you responded to was talking in the past tense.

And one of those 2 recruits was a running back. See this:

Beautiful! Schiano and RB coach get 4star 2024 RB Antwan Raymond over an offer from Syracuse thereby propelling RU past Pitt and Syracuse in the updated class of 2024 rankings. A double whammy today to our friends up north.

In addition, the miraculous job that our staff did to retain / re-recruit basically all of our returning key contributors tops off a terrific recruiting year for Rutgers.

Beautiful! Schiano and RB coach get 4star 2024 RB Antwan Raymond over an offer from Syracuse thereby propelling RU past Pitt and Syracuse in the updated class of 2024 rankings. A double whammy today to our friends up north.

In addition, the miraculous job that our staff did to retain / re-recruit basically all of our returning key contributors tops off a terrific recruiting year for Rutgers.
biggest win in the offseason

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT