ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ted Lasso

I thought that season 3 was very weak.

The show got a lot of praise for tackling the issue of mental health, and especially for men talking about their problems rather than covering them up.

In the end, they showed multiple storylines (especially ones rooted in deep seated trauma from childhood events or neglect) being happily resolved with the characters involved having one good talk with each other. That’s not how things work in the real world and is kind of insulting to people dealing with CPTSD.

I thought that season 3 was very weak.

The show got a lot of praise for tackling the issue of mental health, and especially for men talking about their problems rather than covering them up.

In the end, they showed multiple storylines (especially ones rooted in deep seated trauma from childhood events or neglect) being happily resolved with the characters involved having one good talk with each other. That’s not how things work in the real world and is kind of insulting to people dealing with CPTSD.
An in all the iterations of Law and Order, all the crimes were solved and court cases settled in an hour. That's the way fictional stories work on TV/movies. Yes, people have always gotten the wrong impression from the condensed way of depicting things. But if it's a start to moving people in the right direction, then it's a good thing. And characters in the show utilized a licensed therapist as well to help them along. It's the message being delivered. Try to avoid getting lost in the details of TV vs. reality.

Reactions: PaKnight
An in all the iterations of Law and Order, all the crimes were solved and court cases settled in an hour. That's the way fictional stories work on TV/movies. Yes, people have always gotten the wrong impression from the condensed way of depicting things. But if it's a start to moving people in the right direction, then it's a good thing. And characters in the show utilized a licensed therapist as well to help them along. It's the message being delivered. Try to avoid getting lost in the details of TV vs. reality.
First, they didn’t have to wrap up storylines in a one hour episode, they had a 3 season arc of 30+ episodes to deal with the characters.

Second, the details only matter because THEY were the ones who chose to take on serious issues at first, and obviously decided to wrap each character into a nice little bow at the end instead.

It’s funny how fans of a show get so caught up in it, that they blindly continue their devotion even when substantive changes, like the showrunner for Lasso leaving after season 2 and Sudeikis taking over the whole operation, result in a marked downturn in quality.

Reactions: Armor and Sword
Finally caught the final episode tonight with my wife. (Logistical issues and a vacation.)

For me, a great final episode.

Corny as f*ck, but that’s Ted Lasso.

I know I’m corny, but I enjoy shows with the goodbye scenes where you know it’s also the actors saying goodbye.

In that last scene, Ted Lasso looked like he rather eat a bullet than be in Kansas. Only reason why he was there was for his son. But since his ex wife had custody, no way the son went to England with Ted.

Damm shame because Lasso built a new life that he had to give up.

Reactions: cshelley
Finally caught the final episode tonight with my wife. (Logistical issues and a vacation.)

For me, a great final episode.

Corny as f*ck, but that’s Ted Lasso.

I know I’m corny, but I enjoy shows with the goodbye scenes where you know it’s also the actors saying goodbye.
My wife and I and 4 friends, tonight talked about the final episode and we all essentially agreed it was perfect. The Sound of Music piece was perfect, Ted and Rebecca's conversations were perfect, the restoration of "Believe" was perfect, the game was perfect, and Ted going home was perfect.

In that last scene, Ted Lasso looked like he rather eat a bullet than be in Kansas. Only reason why he was there was for his son. But since his ex wife had custody, no way the son went to England with Ted.

Damm shame because Lasso built a new life that he had to give up.
True. But is she still his ex wife? It appeared he was staying at the house when he returned. And she seemed annoyed with the new boyfriend while watching the final game.

There was a lot to like about Season 3 and the final episode ended very well but I've got gripes. The larger story arc with Ted and some smaller character arcs like Nate and Keely were not well done. Some season 3 episodes became preachy adult-version After School Specials or kids shows. It may not have been intended for this show to appeal to soccer fans but playing 3 matches in 30 seconds in one episode, then on a 10 game win streak in another was jarring. But don't tell that to the hardcore fanbase of this show who were less interested in the main story and more interested in how characters, relationships and character struggles made them feel. Until Ted Lasso, I assumed most people watched a final season to see how the main story begins, unfolds, develops and ends, but that's not the case with many of the hardcore Lasso fans I've seen. If they watched to see how it ends, it was with an eye for getting hints on any possibility of extending the series or what spinoffs spawn from it.

I'd be OK with most of these characters appearing in more shows than Richard Belzer's Detective Munch.

There was a lot to like about Season 3 and the final episode ended very well but I've got gripes. The larger story arc with Ted and some smaller character arcs like Nate and Keely were not well done. Some season 3 episodes became preachy adult-version After School Specials or kids shows. It may not have been intended for this show to appeal to soccer fans but playing 3 matches in 30 seconds in one episode, then on a 10 game win streak in another was jarring. But don't tell that to the hardcore fanbase of this show who were less interested in the main story and more interested in how characters, relationships and character struggles made them feel. Until Ted Lasso, I assumed most people watched a final season to see how the main story begins, unfolds, develops and ends, but that's not the case with many of the hardcore Lasso fans I've seen. If they watched to see how it ends, it was with an eye for getting hints on any possibility of extending the series or what spinoffs spawn from it.

I'd be OK with most of these characters appearing in more shows than Richard Belzer's Detective Munch.
Yes and I mean what professional sports team would sing a song from The Sound of Music like that? I like to suspend disbelief but some of this Season 3 was like the worst stuff recorded by Wings.

Yes and I mean what professional sports team would sing a song from The Sound of Music like that? I like to suspend disbelief but some of this Season 3 was like the worst stuff recorded by Wings.

You might suffer from JDD - joy deficit disorder.

You understand the concept of suspension of disbelief, so just go with it.

Reactions: Morrischiano
You might suffer from JDD - joy deficit disorder.

You understand the concept of suspension of disbelief, so just go with it.
Even my wife said the first ten minutes of the finale was too corny. That's enough validation for me.

My wife and I and 4 friends, tonight talked about the final episode and we all essentially agreed it was perfect. The Sound of Music piece was perfect, Ted and Rebecca's conversations were perfect, the restoration of "Believe" was perfect, the game was perfect, and Ted going home was perfect.

Mister D. I realized you left out the song choices. A Beautiful Game. Father and Son. C’mon man!

Reactions: RU848789
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT