ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The History Underground - Band of Brothers

Thanks. I will be in Bastonge April 20, 21. We are going for the Liege-Baston-Liege cycling events. Saturday we will visit all the areas in Bastonge including the maintained bunkers from the video. I was going to ask the board of anyone has been to Bastonge, might as well start a thread after this.

Awesome wil give it a listen.

Masters of the Air debuts in 2 weeks.
Looking forward to Masters of the Air.

I loved both Band of Brothers and The Pacific, which I know some weren't as high on as B of B. I can see that as I don't think people quite got the same connection with the men in The Pacific as you did with B of B.

Vinnie Utz RU football player lost his arm in the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
Thanks. I will be in Bastonge April 20, 21. We are going for the Liege-Baston-Liege cycling events. Saturday we will visit all the areas in Bastonge including the maintained bunkers from the video. I was going to ask the board of anyone has been to Bastonge, might as well start a thread after this.
You might be interested in this one also

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
The History Underground has a ton of great BoB content/videos. One of the best YT channels!

I watch YT like I used to watch TV. I just watched 6 hour bit on middle ages. A problem now is that YT front loads the commercials so you might have to sit through 5 minutes of commercials before program. That's not a long time unless you are trying to research something and going vid to vid to vid.

But 4k downloader will DL vids that can be watched before ads finish (on my Fios PC anyway) . Its always had a good rep for not being sketchy. It does, MP3 conversions also. one of my top 5 apps.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Vinnie Utz RU football player lost his arm in the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne.
The final Rutgers football contest before America’s entry into World War II was played at Providence, R.I. on November 20, 1941. The April 20, 1952 Sunday Times of New Brunswick remembered, “In his final game against Brown, he (Vinnie Utz) scored Rutgers two touchdowns in the 13 to 7 upset and played 60 minutes. His brilliant defensive work was every bit as spectacular as his offense. He led the Scarlet in scoring, running and passing.

Vinnie entered the service as a paratrooper shortly after his graduation and was soon on his way to the battle lines. A member of the crack 101st Airborn Division, the Baron took part in 14 para-jumps. His 13th leap was made at Normandy six hours before the D-Day invasion by the Allies… With his usual cynical good humor, he refers to himself as the ‘Wonderful Wiz Who Wasn’t.’ To the thousands who have cheered his exploits on the gridiron and his feats as a war hero, he remains “The Wonderful Wizard Who Is.’”

The October 6, 1945 Daily Home News reported Utz lost an arm as a paratrooper while in Europe.

The final Rutgers football contest before America’s entry into World War II was played at Providence, R.I. on November 20, 1941. The April 20, 1952 Sunday Times of New Brunswick remembered, “In his final game against Brown, he (Vinnie Utz) scored Rutgers two touchdowns in the 13 to 7 upset and played 60 minutes. His brilliant defensive work was every bit as spectacular as his offense. He led the Scarlet in scoring, running and passing.

Vinnie entered the service as a paratrooper shortly after his graduation and was soon on his way to the battle lines. A member of the crack 101st Airborn Division, the Baron took part in 14 para-jumps. His 13th leap was made at Normandy six hours before the D-Day invasion by the Allies… With his usual cynical good humor, he refers to himself as the ‘Wonderful Wiz Who Wasn’t.’ To the thousands who have cheered his exploits on the gridiron and his feats as a war hero, he remains “The Wonderful Wizard Who Is.’”

The October 6, 1945 Daily Home News reported Utz lost an arm as a paratrooper while in Europe.
He lost his life when his home in Metuchen was on fire, and after getting his family out, he believed his father in law was still in the house, and he re entered. When he re entered he severely cut his arm. He was working for J&J in New Brunswick at the time.

Reactions: goru1869
Alex of HistoryLegends on Youtube does 4 segments on battles in BoB.
He's an engineer by training but his knowledge of military tactics and history have made him a YouTube fav since Uk war (he was one few who knew what was happening - people in Ukraine followed him close).
He said BoB was his fav depiction of WWII and is mostly very accurate.
He adds details like Germans at Market Garden (Battle of Nuenen) were average age of 17, and that the battle wasn't actually a big one.

In this segment about Brecourt Manor he adds that Winters was more of an effective hunter/killer than series showed. VDH has said the best officers were the ones who knew the other side was trying to kill them and that they had to be killed first.

The comments sections of his vids are the best.
One dude lived on the street where there was a lot of fighting.
Afghanistan vets comment etc

Reactions: JDNB and goru1869
A new episode just dropped today from the History Underground. Inside the 101st Airborne Museum of Bastogne.

The map depicting the positions of the different divisions must be fascinating to see.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT