ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Ten Commandments is on tonight on ABC

Thank god they moved it back a week as there would be too many NCAA games to conflict with. As it is now I will still be flipping back and forth with the regional games. I know I know you can watch it anytime but nothing beats watching this spectacle live as it unfolds

Reactions: Postman_1
Never saw the correlation between Moses and Easter. Two totally separate events. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the nuns in grammar school but they were mean so we had to listen, if not, out came the wooden ruler 🤣

I know a lot of people like me look forward to this every year around this time. It comes on tonight on ABC. This year they moved it back to the Saturday before Easter. Hope everyone enjoys
Awesome movie
We watched King of kings this week

Never saw the correlation between Moses and Easter. Two totally separate events. Maybe I shouldn't have listened to the nuns in grammar school but they were mean so we had to listen, if not, out came the wooden ruler 🤣

There used to be a lot of Yeshua/Jesus movies all week before Easter.
"King of Kings...Jesus of Nazareth...The Robe...Ben Hur..Greatest Story Ever Told" and others.
Networks ditched those for "Ten Commandments."
It works - Jesus Saves and Moses Invests

This movie was made in 1956. At this time I think the special effects in it were way beyond its time.
Hopefully I make it to the end of it tonight and don’t fall asleep

There used to be a lot of Yeshua/Jesus movies all week before Easter.
"King of Kings...Jesus of Nazareth...The Robe...Ben Hur..Greatest Story Ever Told" and others.
Networks ditched those for "Ten Commandments."
It works - Jesus Saves and Moses Invests
they are great movies and ratings are good, wish they would run them all week

they are great movies and ratings are good, wish they would run them all week
I have a bunch of them off torrents.
Zeffirelli was maybe the best (Anne Bancroft, Ernest Borgnine, Laurence Olivier, Christopher Plummer, Anthony Quinn, Rod Steiger, James Earl Jones and Peter Ustinov).

I always remember Victor Mature in "The Robe" though.
"Ill never serve you again you Roman Pig!"

This movie was made in 1956. At this time I think the special effects in it were way beyond its time.
Hopefully I make it to the end of it tonight and don’t fall asleep

Indeed and Technicolor has never been equaled.
I saw the theatrical 10C 70mm reissue in 1989 - "Ben Hur" the same year.
"Lawrence of Arabia...Gone With The Wind...My Fair Lady...Spartacus" lots of great films restored around 1988-93. I got to see some private screenings with restorer

There are some great older historical movies that when they’re on, you just watch. Ten Commandments, Judgement at Nuremberg, The Right Stuff are some of my favorites.

Reactions: ashokan
There are some great older historical movies that when they’re on, you just watch. Ten Commandments, Judgement at Nuremberg, The Right Stuff are some of my favorites.
It's really scary that the Right Stuff, based almost exclusively on events during my life time and made when I was in my thirties, is to you an example of an "older historical movie."

Passover.

The Passover lambs sacrificed to save Moses and the Jews are a real life foreshadowing of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who died to save all who would believe and trust in Him.

Old Testament:

Exodus 12:13

“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord. The blood [of the sacrificed Passover lambs] will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.”

New Testament:

1 Cor. 5:7

“For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.”

Since Easter was early this year , they were able to show it Saturday night as it did not interfere with nba playoffs

It's really scary that the Right Stuff, based almost exclusively on events during my life time and made when I was in my thirties, is to you an example of an "older historical movie."

Its all relative - when you're 1000 yrs old, this years homecoming queen will be around 950

Passover.

The Passover lambs sacrificed to save Moses and the Jews are a real life foreshadowing of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, who died to save all who would believe and trust in Him.

Old Testament:

“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord. The blood [of the sacrificed Passover lambs] will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.”

New Testament:

That's a stretch for sure.

Passover.

Old Testament:

New Testament:

that's revisionist bs
there was no foreshadowing but it's a good analogy

next?

I loved The Ten Commandments when I was a kid. The whole family watched. While I get the nostalgia, the movie seems silly to me now (though I can still enjoy watching Charlton Heston his thing).

I'm not arguing at all. I made a simple statement that there is no correlation between the 10 commandments and Easter.
I know you think that's a simple statement. I agree with it. But some people see linkages between the two events. Arguing about whether or not they are invites even worse quarrels than disputes about politics. Some pubs/bars/ taverns have signs: "no politics or religion!" We need to follow the same rule on sports forums. Everything else should be on the CE board.

I loved The Ten Commandments when I was a kid. The whole family watched. While I get the nostalgia, the movie seems silly to me now (though I can still enjoy watching Charlton Heston his thing).

Cecil B was born in 1881 and originally a silent film director. Silent films could be mannered and campy and we see that in 10C. I hate they way they make Heston look like he was tripping after coming down the mountain lol.

1LGOolP.gif

Last edited:
Cecil B was born in 1881 and originally a silent film director. Silent films could be mannered and campy and we see that in 10C. I hate they way they make Heston looked like he was tripping after coming down the mountain lol.

1LGOolP.gif
Who says he wasn't??

Cecil B was born in 1881 and originally a silent film director. Silent films could be mannered and campy and we see that in 10C. I hate they way they make Heston look like he was tripping after coming down the mountain lol.

1LGOolP.gif
>"Cecil B. DeMille’s first rendition of the Ten Commandments was this 1923 silent epic"<

>"Cecil B. DeMille’s first rendition of the Ten Commandments was this 1923 silent epic"<

In the 1956 version there is a scene where Ann Baxter's dress is see-thru on top. That wasn't standard in 1950s bible movies. However there were nude girls in a parade scene (first technicolor) from the 1923 silent version of Ben Hur. There was no code yet and a lot of artists and photographers were doing tasteful nudes for public works. Cecil was probably being auld skool with the nip slip.

Finished watching tonight.

Every year I'm more convinced Yul Brynner was the best actor an with the best role in the film. Even when he's campy he seems natural - and he had a lot of the best lines. The shaved head, build, voice, stare - moves like a cat - very unique actor.

Only one from film I saw was still alive is Debra Paget - born in 1933. Elvis wanted to marry her back in the day. She was John Derek's girl in 10C

xt4YOcf.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT