ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Today is the day! The Big J. (BB-62) will be on the move! Battleship New Jersey heading to dry dock

tTw694F.jpeg

bBE5aMo.jpeg

Since 2000 the Battleship NJ has been docked along the Camden waterfront and became a museum a year later. Well it's time (overdue) for regular maintenance. It will head south to Paulsboro for ballast among other things. Afterwards it will be dry docked at Dock #3 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. The same dock she was built and launched at in 12/7/1942 (how cool is that? full circle).
A celebration at the Camden dock begins at 11am. Music, food, drinks etc.
Since it's heading to Paulsboro first most of the better viewing areas are along the Jersey side on the way to Paulsboro. The Walt Whitman will be closed as the Big J passes under.
So if you have an open day, a trip to the Camden Waterfront to celebrate the nations most decorated battleship would be a great salute. Bundle up if you plan to go.
More info below

I am sharing this piece from today's New York Times about the overhaul of the ship. (Because I am sharing it, it is not behind a paywall.) https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/01/...e_code=1.o00.lE0n.TqaRMA7u3FWq&smid=url-share

Reactions: WhiteBus
You can get reasonably close to the boat around the dry dock from public roads. The stern is near the road. Cool to see.

You can get reasonably close to the boat around the dry dock from public roads. The stern is near the road. Cool to see.
Yeah I checked on Google maps street view. You can get like within 100 feet of the drydock.

Is it just me or does the below the waterline look to be in great shape?

Maybe when those pics were taken some work was already done. But still….👍🫡🇺🇸

Did the dry dock tour today… awesome experience and something that won’t be available again for 30+ years. They added a few more slots over the next few weeks so hop on it! We hit Dalessandro’s for cheesesteaks afterwards.

PS - a friend’s father was very active with the NJ Battleship commission while the “where will it go” discussions were happening. He told me way back then that water depth was also a factor favoring Camden since the shoreline near Liberty State Park would require expensive dredging. The Bayonne Navy Pier was not a terribly attractive (nor available) alternative and even Sandy Hook and Raritan bay were looked at but ruled out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT