ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Urban Meyer Fired

A guy like urban has so much money now that he can start some BS shell companies and hook up recruits with great NIL deals . You know have his cousin run a burger shack and pay players ridiculous amounts . He will make it all back and then some on bonuses and compensation .
I am surprised no coach is doing this yet .

I love this...I have never been a UM fan at all. In college- he is an ass and it is win at all cost. Look the other way if a player helps you win and cover it up as much as you can. And once it seems to be catching up to him, come up with an illness, take a year off and then take a new job and repeat.
He is the classic smartest man in the room and that may work in college but when you have 50 men making millions and who depend on performance to continue making their millions, they were not going to put up with his crap.

He really looked miserable during his press conferences from the start- like he knew he made a big mistake. Now he gets paid for sucking at his job and to go away.

I love this...I have never been a UM fan at all. In college- he is an ass and it is win at all cost. Look the other way if a player helps you win and cover it up as much as you can. And once it seems to be catching up to him, come up with an illness, take a year off and then take a new job and repeat.
He is the classic smartest man in the room and that may work in college but when you have 50 men making millions and who depend on performance to continue making their millions, they were not going to put up with his crap.
One year on TV ( bidding for him already started) and then P-5 programs will come calling with wheelbarrows of cash
Then again, FSU might do a reversal to get a jump on the competition and despite giving Norvell an extention, decide Urban "Decay" Meyer needs to be scooped up now rather than gamble if Norvell can do it.

Last edited:
One year on TV ( bidding for him already started) and then P-5 programs will come calling with wheelbarrows of cash
Then again, FSU might do a reversal to get a jump on the competition and despite giving Norvell an extention, decide Urban "Decay" Meyer needs to be scooped up now rather than gamble if Norvell can do it.
Next FSU HC just landed the number 1 recruit...

Reactions: MADHAT1
How things change for "winners"... lol...So Schiano is a better NFL coach... He lasted 2 full years with Tampa and won 11 games in those 2 years compare to Urban 11 months and 2 wins at Jacksonville. Not to mention Urban multiple scandals in a short period of time. Nuts

My theory is that Urban got used to winning all the time with little effort, since he had access to elite talent that only a few colleges coaches have. He doesn't know how to lose anymore with grace and class and does not know how to make good/non-elite players better anymore.

The sad part is that this guy will get multiple opportunities to coach at another elite school and will get top $$$$$ but if I was a parent I would guide my children away from these types of toxic personalities.
Besides Urban there were failures by Saban, Spurrier, Petrino and Kelly all failed in the NFL. Kelly won a lot of games but was a problem in both organizations.

Speaking of college coaches making the transition to the NFL, Kliff Kingsbury seems to have a pretty good thing going in Arizona. A younger guy with some relatively early success. We'll see how long it lasts.

Is the castrated steers fire sark, booty-grinder Meyer will fit in austin just fine

Speaking of college coaches making the transition to the NFL, Kliff Kingsbury seems to have a pretty good thing going in Arizona. A younger guy with some relatively early success. We'll see how long it lasts.
When he got fired from TT, I still liked him as a HC because of his offense and work with identifying and developing productive qbs. We weren’t looking yet at the time but if we were I mentioned here multiple times he was my choice. I was thinking his salary offset from TT can save some money and use that to hire a top DC and together a combo like that could possibly work.

It’s only a year of success in the NFL so who knows how long it will last. I wonder now that he’s gotten a taste, if he’s ever come back to college or just stick with the pros regardless of what happens in AZ. He could be an OC or something if it didn’t work out.

he wasn't considered a success at Texas Tech .
Maybe that's why he looks good as a Pro HC .
Didn't go in as a success and was willing to learn rather than feel the way he succeed at the college level would work in the pros

he wasn't considered a success at Texas Tech .
Maybe that's why he looks good as a Pro HC .
Didn't go in as a success and was willing to learn rather than feel the way he succeed at the college level would work in the pros
He’s also a more laid back type vs some others. I don’t think he’s type A. Type A can be useful sometimes but can also lead to personality clash issues in an environment like the NFL.

Only now he has a track record.. as opposed to just being a disciple of the all mighty Urban. That seemed to count for something, in some people’s minds, anyway.

That belief was clearly flawed, lol.

Not sure why people can’t accept that Ash is both a horrible HC (or horrible HC fit for RU) and a really good DC. The guys who played for him at Texas had high praise. Even our defense has held up well with a lot of Ash players.

This just goes to show that these winning CFB coaches are so overrated because of their recruiting prowess.
The real test of good coaching is the NFL and Meyer and Saban could not succeed there.
Saban is not quite in Meyer's category when it comes to the NFL. Meyer was bad. Saban was mediocre. If he hadn't quit on the Dolphins, he might have succeeded there eventually. I believe that he was 2 games below .500 when he left.

Reactions: Plum Street
It works for some - Carol, harbaugh , vermeil , jimmy Johnson, and Switzer .
Others it don’t - spurrier , Meyer.
Carroll and Switzer get asterisks. Carroll was an NFL guy. He was one of the best DCs in the league, who failed as a head coach with the Jets and Patriots before going to USC and building an empire. Switzer inherited the championship juggernaut that Jimmy Johnson built, and eventually drove it into a ditch.

Reactions: redking and theRU
You can certainly make an argument about college coaches in NFL, important competencies being different, etc.

But Urban's situation is different. You cant discuss his actual coaching performance because he was such an off the field disaster. He was an embarrassment, a PR nightmare, and I'm incredibly confident that the only reason he wasn't fired earlier was because of his contract. Kicking a player, sure they will argue and settle it, clearly will qualify as being fired for cause.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
All I can say is:
Meyer: the Eyes of Texas will be upon you , if Sark comes out of the gate slow in 2022.

Maybe start wearing Nike apparel whenever your on TV , the guy from Georgia might not match what Super Mario did and he will be told to take the midnight train back there because the Ducks want to play like Urban kids do.

Could be the Frost won't raise the corn high enough for the Husker Administration in 2022 and they might be willing to turn their program into an Urban Decay one

Reactions: Plum Street
All I can say is:
Meyer: the Eyes of Texas will be upon you , if Sark comes out of the gate slow in 2022.

Maybe start wearing Nike apparel whenever your on TV , the guy from Georgia might not match what Super Mario did and he will be told to take the midnight train back there because the Ducks want to play like Urban kids do.

Could be the Frost won't raise the corn high enough for the Husker Administration in 2022 and they might be willing to turn their program into an Urban Decay one

Nebraska, texas or florida state.

Florida state is easiest path

Jacksonville Jaguars have been an embarrassment to the NFL over the last decade, minus that 1 10-6 season. They have the worst record over the last 10 years including Detroit Lions, Jets and Cleveland Browns. Cleveland was the worst team, but zipped by them the last 3+ years, 7-8-1, 6-10, 11-5 and 7-6 this year and now on the hook for 4 years and.10-12 million each year.

All I can say is:

Casey Thompson the starting qb this past year at Texas just entered the portal. I think he’s a pretty good qb and Nebraska is in the running supposedly. Would be a nice improvement to Martinez who went to KSU. Frost on the hot seat but Whipple there might be an attraction after his work with Pickett.

Jacksonville Jaguars have been an embarrassment to the NFL over the last decade, minus that 1 10-6 season. They have the worst record over the last 10 years including Detroit Lions, Jets and Cleveland Browns. Cleveland was the worst team, but zipped by them the last 3+ years, 7-8-1, 6-10, 11-5 and 7-6 this year and now on the hook for 4 years and.10-12 million each year.
Embarrassment ? How many teams have made the conference championship game and had a lead in the 4th quarter the past 5 years ?

I think some of what was covered here is the most important.

Different college coach personalities will succeed differently in the NFL.

The "King" personality mentioned earlier will not work in the NFL. Likely hasn't since Lombardi. Screaming at and intimidating players in college don't work in the NFL with guys getting paid a couple of $M a year. You need more of a personality manager in the NFL. Assuming of course you can actually coach without relying on your talent disparity.

Here's a scary thought. Now that exceptional college players are being paid pretty seriously and that the transfer portal is wide open we may see a change from what type of coaching traditionally worked in college to something more like the NFL. A star player might have $100K in earnings on signing day. A tyrant HC in college can't push a modern player around by withholding opportunity or playing time. Modern players can just tell the coach to F off, spend their money and move on in the portal for a more appeasing environment (and more money). Might not be good for the sport...

Urban will head back to Fox Sports and cash his Jacksonville checks while awaiting the next offer coming his way. He was a pretty good commentator.

The "King" personality mentioned earlier will not work in the NFL. Likely hasn't since Lombardi. Screaming at and intimidating players in college don't work in the NFL with guys getting paid a couple of $M a year. You need more of a personality manager in the NFL. Assuming of course you can actually coach without relying on your talent disparity.

Here's a scary thought. Now that exceptional college players are being paid pretty seriously and that the transfer portal is wide open we may see a change from what type of coaching traditionally worked in college to something more like the NFL. A star player might have $100K in earnings on signing day. A tyrant HC in college can't push a modern player around by withholding opportunity or playing time. Modern players can just tell the coach to F off, spend their money and move on in the portal for a more appeasing environment (and more money). Might not be good for the sport...
Yeah, but not every player is getting paid pretty seriously . For every Kenny Britt there is gonna be 10 tderov’s . Notice the analogy both were suspended for games by schiano.

Yeah, but not every player is getting paid pretty seriously . For every Kenny Britt there is gonna be 10 tderov’s . Notice the analogy both were suspended for games by schiano.

Yet. Nor at RU. But soon and certainly at wealthy schools like for example Texas.

My fear is someday CFB teams are just minor leagues for the NFL. Once players are in and out yearly via transfers any connection to the alumni will be lost - beyond laundry.

That's when they lose me. I hope it doesn't happen but I think it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: redking
Yes in fact there has been. I believe you know him quite well. He ‘s living at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Washington D.C.

Embarrassment ? How many teams have made the conference championship game and had a lead in the 4th quarter the past 5 years ?
2012 2-14 2013 4-12 2014 3-13 2015 5-11 2016 3-13
2017 10-6 2018 5-11 2019 6-10 2020 1-15 2021 2-11

41-116 0.261 win% isn't an embarrassment to the league?
1 good year 4 years ago In a game they choked which led to mass player exodus from the team doesn't stop them from being 32nd out of 32 teams.

Cleveland Browns 2012-17 20 wins, 2018-21 30-29-1(11-5, 2020)
NY Jets 54 wins 2012-21(10-6, 2015)
Detroit Lions 62 wins, 2 ties 2012-21 (11-5, 2014)
There is distance between 31st and 32nd.

Last edited:
All I can say is:

Pee wee sark will have to win at the very least 9 games or he’s toast. I would not be surprised if he’s been told already!

Reactions: RUScrew85
he will sue and make some of it back and take a year or two back…or less back and see who gets canned in college in 2022. Not many big programs out there looking, given what took place this year!

Head coaches that are tyrannical bullies aren't good for the sport either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT