ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Walking Dead (spoilers)

Originally posted by RU1977:
Originally posted by JPhoboken:

Originally posted by RU4Real:
I just plain don't like it, from a security perspective. There just aren't nearly enough qualified people to defend a layout that big. You might as well not have the walls at all, since they're ultimately going to get breached without anyone knowing about it.
I hope Rick has them build a much more secure Gate. Perhaps an inner and outer gate similar to what they had at the prison. They have a whole mall under construction to get materials from.
There's a mall?

Plus they have running water?
Deanna mentioned that they got the steel for the walls from a mall that was under construction nearby. When talking about the community she mentioned solar power, cisterns and a sewage treatment facility.

One thing that did bother me was the support beams for the walls around Alexandria. I couldn't fathom why they would put them on the outside making it very easy for a human to climb them. That part now makes sense to me - they had an engineer\architect to do the design so they were clearly done exactly as intended. I think it was done as another small piece of evidence about how little the residents know about what is out there in the world now. As long as the anchor points are strong a bunch of walkers aren't going to rip the beams apart. If they were on the other side Deanna's husband might have considered that a herd could push hard enough to crush the beams.

Originally posted by David_RU:
Deanna mentioned that they got the steel for the walls from a mall that was under construction nearby. When talking about the community she mentioned solar power, cisterns and a sewage treatment facility.

One thing that did bother me was the support beams for the walls around Alexandria. I couldn't fathom why they would put them on the outside making it very easy for a human to climb them. That part now makes sense to me - they had an engineer\architect to do the design so they were clearly done exactly as intended. I think it was done as another small piece of evidence about how little the residents know about what is out there in the world now. As long as the anchor points are strong a bunch of walkers aren't going to rip the beams apart. If they were on the other side Deanna's husband might have considered that a herd could push hard enough to crush the beams.
Also remember that Deanna said they were put there to await evacuation, but the army never came back. It was then when they designed and built the walls. Essentially, they only thought they needed a place that was secure enough to prevent walker attacks as they waited the disaster out.

The Woodbury walls looked more secure. Plus people could stand on top of them and kill walkers

Originally posted by RU1977:

The Woodbury walls looked more secure. Plus people could stand on top of them and kill walkers
Wall walks are VERY important defensive elements. The walls around the Alexandria community don't even have observation towers (like the prison) and the tree line in many, if not most, places comes right to the wall. It's a terrible defensive setup.

Originally posted by RU4Real:

Wall walks are VERY important defensive elements. The walls around the Alexandria community don't even have observation towers (like the prison) and the tree line in many, if not most, places comes right to the wall. It's a terrible defensive setup.
I noticed the trees, too. Remember Rick's comment when they were at Noah's neighborhood. He knows you need better sight lines. I'm sure he will work on that as constable / Rick-tator in waiting.

These walls seem to be made to keep folks in. Who puts supports on the outside? All your trust is placed in whatever is securing the support to the walls. If they were on the inside the walls would be much stronger.

Norman Redus (sp?) said to bring your Kleenex for the season finally and that we would be screaming at our televisions.

If they are attacked by non-walkers, it will be a lot easier to remove the wall supports.from the outside.

Originally posted by Piscataway:
These walls seem to be made to keep folks in. Who puts supports on the outside? All your trust is placed in whatever is securing the support to the walls. If they were on the inside the walls would be much stronger.

Norman Redus (sp?) said to bring your Kleenex for the season finally and that we would be screaming at our televisions.
They talked about the wall on Talking Dead. They not only were trying to come up with a design which fit with the story line, but they had to build the wall to modern standards to make it safe. So they didn't have total control of how to build the wall.

I agree though, that supports would have been been better inside the walls....but perhaps the designers just didn't like the way they looked inside their little utopia.

This post was edited on 3/5 7:15 PM by JPhoboken

I understand the importance of building codes while working in a real town, but they have so much cgi going on that they could have erased them from the outside and put them on the inside.

That being said, I don't think the walls are the way they are due to building codes. I think they were being kept in.

There walls seem to be made to keep folks in. Who puts supports on the outside? All your trust is placed in whatever is securing the support to the walls. If they were on the inside the walls would be much stronger.

They talked about the wall on Talking Dead. They not only were trying to come up with a design which fit with the story line, but they had to build the wall to modern standards to make it safe. So they didn't have total control of how to build the wall.

I agree though, that supports would have been been better inside the walls....but perhaps the designers just didn't like the way they looked inside their little utopia.

I understand the importance of building codes while working in a real town, but they have so much cgi going on that they could have erased them from the outside and put them on the inside.

That being said, I don't think the walls are the way they are due to building codes. I think they were being kept in.

There walls seem to be made to keep folks in. Who puts supports on the outside? All your trust is placed in whatever is securing the support to the walls. If they were on the inside the walls would be much stronger.

I don't know why the supports are on the outside, maybe its to look like they are keeping them in as you say.

I do know there was a segment on Talking dead, and the set designers did have to make sure any design they used was within the building code.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT