ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Was your spouse/significant other a Rutgers fan before you met them?

My wife went to Northwestern. I met her while playing in a rugby tournament at Northwestern. She was a big NW fan until after her Wildcats lost to USC in the 1996 Rose Bowl.

My wife would never sit and watch sports.

She was scholar athlete at Rutgers.

When @RUScrew85 and I were dating 20 years ago He ran out of things to do with me and brought me to a Rutgers football game. I've always loved the color red. I love to throw a party and I love to cook. I was in!
A little later on I realized that I was the director of nursing at the surgery Center where all the players came to have their surgery. I would look at my schedule, look at the name and then look up at the player and go oh my gosh I saw you get hurt on Saturday!
The rest is, as they say history. I have become a bigger fan of all things Rutgers Athletics then my husband.

My wife is an alumna but was never into watching sports until I dragged her kicking and screaming to Rutgers games. After going with me to home games, a few away games and particularly bowl games 05-13, she now tolerates it.

My wife went to Cook and didn't even know where the stadium was. She learned football and wrestling by reading books and is now a huge fan of both. Now she wants basketball season tickets to go along with the others.

When @RUScrew85 and I were dating 20 years ago He ran out of things to do with me and brought me to a Rutgers football game. I've always loved the color red. I love to throw a party and I love to cook. I was in!
A little later on I realized that I was the director of nursing at the surgery Center where all the players came to have their surgery. I would look at my schedule, look at the name and then look up at the player and go oh my gosh I saw you get hurt on Saturday!
The rest is, as they say history. I have become a bigger fan of all things Rutgers Athletics then my husband.

Yep. I got jaded.

The future Mrs Shelby didnt then and doesnt now have strong feelings about the coach or the program one way or the other. Opposites attract, as they say.

Last edited:
And many of us and our sons thank you for it..,

• Love
Reactions: MrsScrew
My wife went to a small private school for college and grew up a nominal Penn State fan being from PA. She is rather indifferent to the outcomes of games, but we watch the Phillies on the couch every night while falling to sleep. The first Rutgers game I took her to was the 13-10 game we lost to Penn State, in which she wasn’t allowed (by me) to wear blue. It was the rainy 78-0 game that broke her budding spirit, she doesn’t have much interest going back unless we have a big tailgate with friends and their wives. That being said, she likes sports in general but prefers playing to watching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT