ADVERTISEMENT

OT: When did you become a Rutgers fan? Favorite memory?

BTW -- I think the worst game I've ever watched was RU vs Va Tech in 2012. We should have absolutely destroyed them, but our offense couldn't do anything.

But you're in "The Photo"!!! (somewhere)
Lol haha. Had the camera zip over my head 2 or 3 times was standing right next to a number of players but the smell of stale booze on the students all up in your mug was bad enough but the pushing and shoving was worse. Somehow I got herded into midfield and couldnt get out only to find my a-hole brother in law got off the field in like 2 minutes called him when I got off and he was at my car already in little side lot across from purple lot

My favorite RU game was listening to RU/Va. Tech on the radio back in 1992 down most of the game to win 50-49 with no time remaining Brian Fortay and Ray Lucas going in and out game and pulling it out. Then having to watch it on NJN Sunday Morning
Did the same. Screamed so loud scared the heck out of my wife in the other room

Freshman in 1967. Became a football fan when I went to see the Princeton game that year. Favorite moment is Louisville, followed by VT. I think my favorite moment might be the 1960 100th anniversary game with Princeton, by it is too hazy. Favorite away games, the Tennessee "what's a Rutgers" game and the UCONN '09 Tom Savage to Timmy Brown.

The best part of these threads are the memories from our older Loyal Sons.

I could read those all the time.

Started following RU when I returned to NJ after college. First game would be around '74.

1980 Alabama game at the Meadowlands

2005 Cincy game with the bowl invite afterwards

Of course the 2006 Louisville game

2014 Michigan

My dad was RU '53. I've been going to the football and basketball games since I was real little. One of my earliest memories is him driving me past the RAC right before it opened.

My dad died right before the basketball season in 1988, so that Penn State game was truly amazing. I remember it being the loudest game ever, yet crying a little because dad missed it.

Planned a trip to Arizona in 2006 for teachers convention. Week after week seeing what that Louisville game was going to mean started bother me a bit, but I knew my wife was going to be happy to see a good friend of hers for a couple of days (and I was getting some bonus golf in). The day after the game I played at the TPC Scottsdale course (Waste Management course). Before teeing off its the normal "where you from?" stuff... When I said NJ, the other three guys and the starter all got excited "DID YOU WATCH THAT GAME LAST NIGHT??" Fantastic.

(BTW, shot an 84, including -2 for the last 4 holes...)

this and that:

the Virginia tech finish has to be just about the best finish that we ever had in a sport....last play, do or die

the game itself was torture, we played terribly for a good portion of it.... I could not put this as our best game because of that, but you had to love the last couple of plays.

if you wanted to see a solid game from start to finish, the Tenn away game would be a better choice for a solid total effort in a big game..... our qb that day put up solid numbers to help control the offense.

a couple of other bb finishes

the four point play nearly at the buzzer, to beat Nova by one.

the Indiana state, very late bucket for the win
by James Bailey

I think we had a game where Herve Lam. hit two three points in the last seconds of a game against Providence, at home....memory fails a bit here..... a few fans I know were out the exit already, figuring we lost.

the most exciting bb game overall I have seen was the triple OT win against Ohio state at the MSG .

it looked, at times, as though we had no chance to win, but we kept coming back.

best home game, the PSU win for the A10 title, which also was the loudest fan crowd I can remember.....several others could have matched the volume, but this was good

of course, the final home game of the 76 season, where we almost did not get it done...scared the hell out of all the fans...

Sometime in 1953 when Harvey Harmon, Frank Burns and another individual, whose name I can't remember, sat in our living room in Baltimore and offered me a scholarship to play football for RU. I've been a fan ever since!

My being a fan of Rutgers was tied to one of your former players, Janarion Grant. He's from my hometown, I've known he and his family since he was a little kid. I became a Rutgers fan the day he committed to you guys, and came here to your board on signing day to chat about him.

Favorite moment would have to be his first time touching the ball for you, when he took the opening kickoff to the house.

I'm primarily a fan of my alma mater, Florida State; but I'll continue to pull for you guys & hope you get things turned around. Good luck this season.

Reactions: miketd1
SeaPA, at the Rutgers fanfest two years ago, I had my 9 year old son ask Janarion what happened the first time he touched the ball in a college game. Through the biggest and most sincere smile, he said, "I took it to the house..." There was no faking that smile.

Reactions: SeaPA
SeaPA, at the Rutgers fanfest two years ago, I had my 9 year old son ask Janarion what happened the first time he touched the ball in a college game. Through the biggest and most sincere smile, he said, "I took it to the house..." There was no faking that smile.

He's a nice young man; it was a shame that the end of his college career was marred by injuries. Watching him play in college was a lot of fun; watching high school kids trying to tackle him was ridiculous.
I saw almost all of his high school games, including a lot of playoff games against teams that had loads of future D1 players (and a few that are in the NFL now); never once did I leave the stadium thinking someone other than him had been the best player on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT