ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Parochial school, when is best time to start

Cost is significantly different.

Oak Hill - $28,000/yr.
St John Vianney - $16,000/yr.

My children went through parochial entire school careers.

Both at St Francis in Metuchen (k-8) and one to Mother Seton Regional (HS) and one to Bishop Ahr/St. Thomas Aquinas (HS). Great experience with both.
Had no idea there was such a cost difference. To us, it was worth it. Excellent math and science program. Both kids went th HS for free, and oldest went to Rutgers HC for about $25K for the entire 4 years. So, for us, it was an investment that paid off.

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
I named a community near Cherry Hill etc. with low taxes and poor schools -- Merchantville. There are others, unfortunately.

Delaware is thirty-five miles down the road; it's hard to see anyone picking it just for low taxes. I have known couples, in fact, where the primary wage earner worked in Delaware but they chose to live in Cherry Hill instead.

I mean if you believe some people everyone wants to leave NJ entirely for the taxes, so...but yes. Idk about Merchantville, is there something that would make it undesirable? Otherwise it could be an option. Cherry Hill has the PATCO. The area in Monmouth County where OP is unfortunately not well serviced by public transportation.

Commuting wise all of the FTHS schools, sans Manalapan or possibly Marlboro, would be closer
She would take the bus to the parochial school though, which would likely add on 10-15 minutes, or possibly 20, depending on the number of stops and hitting the lights on 34

Wouldn't those schools be an academic step backwards from the Freehold Regional ones?

“Better” is based on what the parents value and what works best for their child. There is no one metric.

As my mother used to say “It’s easy to spend another person’s paycheck and raise another person’s children.”

Ah...but I am trying to *save* his paycheck. I am wondering also how the schools mentioned are better. I grew up in that area, between friends and family I have covered pretty much every school mentioned in the thread. Maybe I am missing something.

Typically I'd agree, but then life takes over
When we purchased this home, the plan was to have 2 kids
Hence, the size and location for my wife's job and the schools

Then we had one kid and decided that was enough
But now we're comfortable and don't want to downsize, or move

Although our neighbor next door has a house approx 500 sq ft smaller, and they have their 3rd child on the way.
I offered to him to switch houses, which I think caught him off guard, as we don't need the room and with another kiddo on the way, they would likely need the additional space

No need to move. Personally I think if you look at the data you would see the public schools in the area are a much stronger option. Given how expensive the area is, if you moved closer to one of the stronger parochial schools you could probably get an equivalent home for less. You're in an extremely hot area right now, I know people actively looking there.

Please, everyone, forgive my exasperation. The OP has decided he wants a Catholic education for his daughter. That is not something I would want for my child, and it may not be something others of you would want. But it is neither illegal or immoral -- it's not as though the OP is asking for advice on when to sell his daughter into prostitution. As parent, he is entitled to decide what is in the best interests of his minor child. He has not asked for advice on whether to give his child a parochial school education or on whether the economic or other trade-offs are worthwhile. He has only asked for advice on timing. So I suggest that commenters limit themselves to that topic.

Last edited:
Please, everyone, forgive my exasperation. The OP has decided he wants a Catholic education for his daughter. That is not something I would want for my child, and it may not be something others of you would want. But it is neither illegal or immoral -- it's not as though the OP is asking for advice on when to sell his daughter into prostitution. As parent, he is entitled to decide what is in the best interests of his minor child. He has not asked for advice on whether to give his child a parochial school education or on whether the economic or other trade-offs are worthwhile. He has only asked for advice on timing. So I suggest that commenters limit themselves to that topic.
Your hyperbole is very hyperbolic.

We'll be sending our daughter to parochial school sooner rather than later
There's various reasons why we're doing this, a lot of which have been rehashed here amongst multiple parties in many different threads over the years

My question is when is the best time to do this?
We're located in a good school system in Monmouth County, and our daughter, though well behaved and respectful, has definitely changed over the past year

Some of it is part of growing up IMO, but I'd imagine some of the things she sees and hears (not just in school) is also attributing to this
She's currently in third grade and will start a new school next year for 4th and 5th grade, and will have only been in this current school for one year

The plan would be to send her to the middle school and associated high school where most of the kids from that middle school go to
The issue, besides cost, is when to do it

I'm in favor of pulling the plug next year, while my wife prefers to wait until middle school starts (6th grade)
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Red city or blue city?

If your daughter is academically sound and has some athletic talent send her to a private or parochial . Public education in NJ is considered still best in nation but that seems to be somewhat over hyped by the teachers union who have controlled that thought process's since the mid 70’s at least. Ask posters on this board… where did your children attend grammar school through high school? You’ll find the answer there I’m certain.

If your daughter is academically sound and has some athletic talent send her to a private or parochial . Public education in NJ is considered still best in nation but that seems to be somewhat over hyped by the teachers union who have controlled that thought process's since the mid 70’s at least. Ask posters on this board… where did your children attend grammar school through high school? You’ll find the answer there I’m certain.
She’s average athletically
Academicly wise, fortunately shes good

Reactions: JRZEER
She’s average athletically
Academicly wise, fortunately shes good
As you see there are some very good options for your family . Money wise for most… MOST…don’t want to spend 16k -28 k per year. If money is not an issue then personally I would go the prep route. You can do well in public schools but overall there is way too much drama going on. Find her a co-ed place # 1 … a school which puts the emphasis on math, science, language and of course computer technology. A place where she can be exposed to sports, theater arts and kids with like interests or goals . That is not found at the majority of public schools throughout this country let alone in NJ. There are however some excellent public schools but that number is at a precipitous point.

As you see there are some very good options for your family . Money wise for most… MOST…don’t want to spend 16k -28 k per year. If money is not an issue then personally I would go the prep route. You can do well in public schools but overall there is way too much drama going on. Find her a co-ed place # 1 … a school which puts the emphasis on math, science, language and of course computer technology. A place where she can be exposed to sports, theater arts and kids with like interests or goals . That is not found at the majority of public schools throughout this country let alone in NJ. There are however some excellent public schools but that number is at a precipitous point.
Monnie is definitely an issue as we would like to retire in our early 50s, and sending her to prep school would likely delay that

Additionally, we understand that we essentially be paying two sets of taxes for parochial school, but prefer the Catholic school education to the public school option (not academically, but because of the Catholic teachings)

Reactions: RUBOB72
My kids both attended public school till 8th grade and they went to SJV. The education you get there depends on the student. If they are really good student they have an Early College Academy. I liked the school because of the discipline and structure Catholic schools offer as opposed to public. Plus the size of the school made my kids not feel like a number.

To answer your question about timing, it all depends on your child. Some like the comfort of their hometown and friends, where others will branch out and make new ones.

My kids both attended public school till 8th grade and they went to SJV. The education you get there depends on the student. If they are really good student they have an Early College Academy. I liked the school because of the discipline and structure Catholic schools offer as opposed to public. Plus the size of the school made my kids not feel like a number.
Regarding the early college Academy, is that where you can receive college credits while taking the classes in high school? Not sure totally what it entails.

It’s kinda crazy you had to post something like this multiple times in this thread . People can’t read

It's legible. I just think it's not a payoff that will function in the end, aside from the true extremely top end which unfortunately the OP does not have good geographic access to. And I say that not just academically as many of the people who went to religious school make me look religious and I am an atheist lol. Generally most of the people who I know that would proclaim religious values are those that chose it from a secular environment, and the least religious are those who had it force fed.

Ultimately it's a message board, it's for opinions. People can weigh in about the plan. Hopefully the OP reconsiders. Ofc it's a free country for now and he can choose, but he should be as informed as possible.

It's legible. I just think it's not a payoff that will function in the end, aside from the true extremely top end which unfortunately the OP does not have good geographic access to. And I say that not just academically as many of the people who went to religious school make me look religious and I am an atheist lol. Generally most of the people who I know that would proclaim religious values are those that chose it from a secular environment, and the least religious are those who had it force fed.

Ultimately it's a message board, it's for opinions. People can weigh in about the plan. Hopefully the OP reconsiders. Ofc it's a free country for now and he can choose, but he should be as informed as possible.
They love their child. They are involved and paying attention. If they find the choice, they make now is not what is best for their daughter they will adjust.

With loving involved parents their daughter has an advantage no matter if she attends public or private school

Regarding the early college Academy, is that where you can receive college credits while taking the classes in high school? Not sure totally what it entails.
Yes, the students will go to Brookdale and take courses and will receive credits toward select colleges. My daughter to AP courses and didn’t have to take the course in college.

I am not saying you are wrong . But the guy isn’t looking for advice on that . He’s just asking when is the best time to start - 5th or 6th grade .

Reactions: NotInRHouse
They love their child. They are involved and paying attention. If they find the choice, they make now is not what is best for their daughter they will adjust.

With loving involved parents their daughter has an advantage no matter if she attends public or private school
Yours is a much more tactful response than the one I initially posted and then deleted.

Reactions: RUBOB72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT