ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Medical School

RUBigJ

Junior
Jul 28, 2001
My grand daughter is a junior at Rutgers. After five semesters her GPA is 4.0. She wants to go to medical school and has a MCAT score of 502. What are her chances of getting into Rutgers Medical School?

My grand daughter is a junior at Rutgers. After five semesters her GPA is 4.0. She wants to go to medical school and has a MCAT score of 502. What are her chances of getting into Rutgers Medical School?
What is her major, does she have her pre req’s complete? Gpa would make her attractive. But the MCAT score would need to increase. What does her academic advisor say?

Have you checked the linked page?

We do not have any minimum requirements. For the entering class of 2020, the average overall GPA was 3.7, and the average MCAT was a 514.

NJMS gives equal consideration to in-state and out-of-state applicants.

This link has more granular information. There seem to be more women applicants and matriculated.

Reactions: redking and MADHAT1
Keep in mind that Rutgers has two medical schools with separate admissions committees. The New Brunswick school is Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and the Newark school is New Jersey Medical School. She should apply to both.

Given KnightShifts post, I think she gets an interview, at the minimum. GPA is higher than average which offsets MCAT slightly lower than Average.

Think it comes down to the interview.
Given her credentials, she will end up somewhere really good, even if it’s not Rutgers.

Have you checked the linked page?

We do not have any minimum requirements. For the entering class of 2020, the average overall GPA was 3.7, and the average MCAT was a 514.

NJMS gives equal consideration to in-state and out-of-state applicants.

This link has more granular information. There seem to be more women applicants and matriculated.

That is the Newark one no? RWJ is more prestigious and I think preferable to be in NB.

a quick google found this> take it with a grain of salt but the info might be worth thinking about when deciding the Medical Schools you want to check out

Medical Schools in New Jersey (Key Info & Rankings)
>New Jersey has five medical schools. The state also has 43 teaching hospitals, providing numerous potential career options for students after graduation. Whether you’re interested in small-town living or the bustle of city life, New Jersey offers both.<
https://www.inspiraadvantage.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-medical-schools-in-new-jersey

4.0 GPA hall way through Junior year is great. She should definitely take MCAT again to see if she can bump up some. She likely will. Best of luck to her.

Reactions: ScarletNut
Some MCAT scores for Medical Schools in NJ

MD Programs:

Rutgers NJ Medical School; 514
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine: 512
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine: 513
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University: 511

DO Programs:

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine: 506

Side Note:

The Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York received a $1.0 Billion Gift from a former faculty member and board chair to provide Free Tuition to all current and future Medical Students accepted into Albert Einstein. Tuition at Albert Einstein is about $60,000 per year. The donation comes from Ruth Gottesman according to the WSJ.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine had an MCAT Score 516.

Harvard Medical School has an MCAT score of 521.

I wonder if Albert Einstein College of Medicine will have MCAT scores greater than Harvard in a few years.

What a wonderful gift, Andrew Carnegie would be proud.

At least it ($1.0 Billion) was not given to a University to provide unlimited NIL financing.
Even Ohio State would have trouble matching unlimited NIL funding from a competing school from such a gift. LOL!!!!

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Controversial take here but if she is a minority she will probably get into RWJMS with those numbers. If she is Asian/Indian or white she will probably have to raise the MCAT score.

Reactions: ashokan
My sense is that law schools are the only post-BA institution that cares much about standardized test scores. The numbers you give for Harvard and other schools confirm that.

Thank you for your response's. Her major is genetics, she has taken all of the pre req's, has volunteered at Robert Woods, shadowed doctors over the summer and is currently working for a local pediatrician. She realizes her MCAT score isn't very good and looks like she is going to try Rowan.

Controversial take here but if she is a minority she will probably get into RWJMS with those numbers. If she is Asian/Indian or white she will probably have to raise the MCAT score.

"Rutgers University and its schools of medicine have long been dedicated to pushing politicized ideologies in its medical education programs and application policies, and the M.D. program selection process seeks to determine which of its applicants will be similarly committed to the social justice agenda. But most concerning is that the university’s activism has included radical and discriminatory causes.The Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS) in Newark and the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (RWJMS) in Piscataway both have active DEI offices with many of the typical “resources” to promote its social justice positions. RWJMS even says that its “racial and ethnic diversity and equity” efforts for faculty and student numbers specifically target “Blacks and Hispanics.”

Last edited:
In 2028, the two Rutgers medical schools will merge into one school, Rutgers Medical School
That is the plan but the merger will only impact the incoming students. The students already in school will graduate from RWJM or NJMS

That is the plan but the merger will only impact the incoming students. The students already in school will graduate from RWJM or NJMS
I hope this works better than merging the Camden and Newark law schools. But there's a key difference -- RWJ is a lot closer to NJMS.

I think the US Supreme Court put an end to that with a ruling last year.

I think the US Supreme Court put an end to that with a ruling last year.
No impact at Rutgers.

The mission of our admissions committee is to select a diverse class of talented students who vigorously contribute to and care for the school community and society as a whole. In evaluating candidates we give balanced consideration to a range of attributes such as academic excellence, lived experiences, resilience, personal growth and maturity. We consider various other dimensions of an applicant such as socioeconomic status, languages spoken, gender, race and ethnicity. Qualities of integrity, humanism, and passion are considered as these factors may influence an applicant's potential to succeed in medical school and are critical to their growth as physician-leaders. We are committed to fostering diversity in medicine and actively recruit a class that resembles the diversity of the patient population.

Thank you for your interest in Rutgers New Jersey Medical School!

Reactions: NotInRHouse
No impact at Rutgers.
Last I checked, RU is in the US, so the ruling covers the university and its medical schools. They can write anything on a website, but their policies must comply with the Supreme Court's ruling.

Last I checked, RU is in the US, so the ruling covers the university and its medical schools. They can write anything on a website, but their policies must comply with the Supreme Court's ruling.
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, in Virginia was accused of violating that ruling .

Supreme Court Declines Case on Selective High School Aiming to Boost Racial Diversity
https://www.edweek.org/policy-polit...hool-aiming-to-boost-racial-diversity/2024/02

There is going to be plenty of lawsuits to enforce the ruling. Academia needs to get right, but it will be a struggle for them.
I believe you're right, some schools will push the envelope and the lawsuits will be the result until the schools that try to get around that ruling are forced to comply or find a way to convince the Courts that their admission policies are race based but based on financial needs that affect all that apply for admittance.
That;s what Thomas Jefferson High seems to have done .

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, in Virginia was accused of violating that ruling .

Supreme Court Declines Case on Selective High School Aiming to Boost Racial Diversity
https://www.edweek.org/policy-polit...hool-aiming-to-boost-racial-diversity/2024/02
So right now it is illegal for schools, etc. to adopt measures that explicitly favor minorities in admissions, but it's OK to adopt measures that, while neutral on their face, have the effect of increasing minority admissions. In other words, "disparate treatment" is illegal; "disparate impact" is not. This is a long-standing distinction in the constitutional law regarding racial discrimination; it is the same standard used to judge allegations of unconstitutional discrimination against racial minorities.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 goes beyond this and in many situations (like in tests of employment applicants) forbids practices that have "disparate impact," but apparently the Court doesn't yet want to face whether and when a school's facially neutral policies that promote minority enrollment violate the Act. Stay tuned for more developments . . .

Reactions: T2Kplus20

SCOTUS also ruled the DC cartel didn't have the authority to forgive student loans - so they did it again.

"In what one legal scholar described as “a very direct confrontation with the Court,” Biden held a press briefing from the White House just hours after the justices issued their verdict.

“Today’s decision has closed one path,” the president said. “Now we’re going to pursue another.”

That's their MO - lose in courts, so just reword/reconstitute and do the same thing. Contempt for the law and lawfare are everywhere. DOJ is renegade and looks away. DC cartel blames SCOTUS. Colleges learn they can keep on keeping on. They dont care about the students they are burying under illegals and added trillion a month debt.

No impact at Rutgers.

The mission of our admissions committee is to select a diverse class of talented students who vigorously contribute to and care for the school community and society as a whole. In evaluating candidates we give balanced consideration to a range of attributes such as academic excellence, lived experiences, resilience, personal growth and maturity. We consider various other dimensions of an applicant such as socioeconomic status, languages spoken, gender, race and ethnicity. Qualities of integrity, humanism, and passion are considered as these factors may influence an applicant's potential to succeed in medical school and are critical to their growth as physician-leaders. We are committed to fostering diversity in medicine and actively recruit a class that resembles the diversity of the patient population.

Thank you for your interest in Rutgers New Jersey Medical School!

I wouldn't take this too seriously. It wouldn't surprise me if no one has looked at this statement since the Supreme Court's decision. The important thing is what they do, not what they say.

I wouldn't take this too seriously. It wouldn't surprise me if no one has looked at this statement since the Supreme Court's decision. The important thing is what they do, not what they say.

NJ is one of the most diverse states. RU is going to be diverse so long as it's the state university of NJ and the best public U in the Northeast, much to the chagrin of the detractors of both RU and diversity.

Reactions: RUMED
Her MCAT score will likely need to be a little higher. I don’t know if it’s still done this way, but NJMS has an early decision option.

The benefit (if it’s still done the same way as in the past) is she should be able to schedule time with Dean Heinrich (who leads admissions) and discuss the school/ED program and herself more in-person. I don’t remember the timing of those conversations unfortunately but I believe they happened before or very shortly after the applications opened.

The downside (again, if it hasn’t changed) is that if she applies early decision and doesn’t get in, she may be a little late in submitting applications for other programs.

If she’s planning to stick with her MCAT, she should do some more shadowing of primary care fields like family medicine and internal medicine to make sure she would enjoy them (and medicine in general). Lower MCAT makes DO schools more likely, which can negatively impact competitiveness for some specialized fields of medicine (not always, and not necessarily due to merit; there have been some steps to mitigate this in recent years). Pediatric anything will typically pay less than adult medicine, and financially can really hurt the economic value of a medical degree when you factor in debt and opportunity cost.

The Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York received a $1.0 Billion Gift from a former faculty member and board chair to provide Free Tuition to all current and future Medical Students accepted into Albert Einstein. Tuition at Albert Einstein is about $60,000 per year. The donation comes from Ruth Gottesman according to the WSJ.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine had an MCAT Score 516.

Harvard Medical School has an MCAT score of 521.

I wonder if Albert Einstein College of Medicine will have MCAT scores greater than Harvard in a few years.
There’s a very good chance they will. NYU did something similar in 2021-2022 and the average MCAT is now around 523.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
NJ is one of the most diverse states. RU is going to be diverse so long as it's the state university of NJ and the best public U in the Northeast, much to the chagrin of the detractors of both RU and diversity.

Great schools don't tell people their health isn't related to their behaviors and that "racism" is the cause.
Certain minorities lead in categories like obesity and diabetes.
Telling them their behavior doesn't matter sets them up to lose feet, vision, lives etc.
That's just enabling and pandering, and political factions like to excuse groups of their self destruction while shifting blame to other targeted groups.

At least the they've now been waking up to game.

This guy should be fired ASAP

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT