ADVERTISEMENT

OT: We may win the World Cup in 2026

Did Pulisic set a new record for "times knocked to the ground in a qualifying match" tonight ?

Best case for me would be one of these…

Qatar
USA
Poland
Ghana or Cameroon

Portugal
USA
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Worst case is something like…

Brazil
USA
Serbia or Senegal
Ecuador or Wales (need at least one Euro, so couldn’t be Senegal and Ecuador)

Reactions: Scangg
We sure berhaltered our way into qualifying tonight. But, Just qualify, baby! Feels good to be back in the WC.

So glad we are in Pot 2. There isn't a single team I'm comfortable with the USA facing.

Best case for me would be one of these…

Qatar
USA
Poland
Ghana or Cameroon

Portugal
USA
Tunisia
Saudi Arabia

Worst case is something like…

Brazil
USA
Serbia or Senegal
Ecuador or Wales (need at least one Euro, so couldn’t be Senegal and Ecuador)
In your first grouping, I'd rather have Scotland/ Ukraine (but not Wales) than Ghana or Cameroon (groups can have 2 Euros).

In your second group, Saudi Arabia is a good shout but wouldn't mind Scotland or Ukraine.

Your Group of Death scenario couldn't include Ecuador since Brazil is already there. Actually would prefer to avoid any of the Euro Pot 1 teams over Brazil/ Arg.
Pretty sure it's because Australia switched regions that there's no guaranteed slot.
Australia left Oceania because they kept having to get in via playoff, usually vs S American team. Went to Asia since they had multiple auto qualifiers.

In your first grouping, I'd rather have Scotland/ Ukraine (but not Wales) than Ghana or Cameroon (groups can have 2 Euros).

In your second group, Saudi Arabia is a good shout but wouldn't mind Scotland or Ukraine.

Your Group of Death scenario couldn't include Ecuador since Brazil is already there. Actually would prefer to avoid any of the Euro Pot 1 teams over Brazil/ Arg.

Australia left Oceania because they kept having to get in via playoff, usually vs S American team. Went to Asia since they had multiple auto qualifiers.
I agree on the Scotland/Ukraine, however I'd rather avoid that ball tomorrow rather than potentially face Wales if they win the playoff.

And good call on Ecuador.

I agree on the Scotland/Ukraine, however I'd rather avoid that ball tomorrow rather than potentially face Wales if they win the playoff.

Sadly, who knows if Ukraine will be able to field a team in June. Could be Wales/Scotland for the last Euro spot.

They are nice to look at but aside from her…not sure on the talent thing besides appearance.
Kate has been doing this for years covering champions league. She's good at it. Wrangling the US yahoos is not easy... they aren't naturals in front of the camera.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Kate has been doing this for years covering champions league. She's good at it. Wrangling the US yahoos is not easy... they aren't naturals in front of the camera.
Exactly right. All those former US Nats get to be a bit boring & not all that much for insight. Too many homers but what can you expect for Concacaf qualifiers.

Yeah, I get what you mean. More than a good probability that Wales gets through vs the other 2. They already are in the final for that group, just waiting for one of the other 2.

As an outsider looking in…it sure didn’t look like it last night.

And I am not going to blame it all on the jockocracy either.

I'm not worried about the Costa Rica game. Natural to have a letdown on the road against a much more motivated team after having qualified for the WC.

More Jenny Chiu please.
I'm actually not very familiar (don't pay attention) to who the commentators are. So I don't know who Jenny Chiu is. I'm guessing she's been part of the coverage crews in some of the games, yes?

In my weird way of focusing, the commentators are often just background noise I ignore. They're a very low focus priority compared to what's taking place in the game on the field.

I'm gonna rant a little...

When I'm watching soccer, I really appreciate accurate commentary focused overwhelmingly on the tactics on display, or the tactical evolution of the game, along with stuff about a various players' great, or poor, moments on or off the ball, etc. In other words, pure dryly delivered soccer talk.

As opposed to a bunch of BS that's wholly irrelevant to the game on the field. Such as how some coach or player must be feeling about something. I mean, putting aside the fact that the commentators can't possibly know how the players or coaches are feeling (unless they're mind readers), who actually GAF anyway?. It's not a freaking soccer therapy session.

It just seems like the USMNT qualifier game coverage has had far too much of the irrelevant BS and too much reality-TV-esque injected fake drama. And not nearly enough actual soccer talk about what's taking place on the field, other than droll play by play about stuff we can all see for ourselves anyway.

I also get the sense that they've been instructed to dumb everything way way down for the US audience, whom they appear to assume must know very little about soccer. There's almost a complete absence of discussion about the tactics in play at any given time.

I don't get that same sense at all when watching most European soccer, where it seems the presumption appears to be that the fans actually have a reasonably decent level of understanding about the sport.

But other than that, I'm perfectly okay with the commentating. 🙂

Okay, rant over.

I'm actually not very familiar (don't pay attention) to who the commentators are. So I don't know who Jenny Chiu is. I'm guessing she's been part of the coverage crews in some of the games, yes?

In my weird way of focusing, the commentators are often just background noise I ignore. They're a very low focus priority compared to what's taking place in the game on the field.

I'm gonna rant a little...

When I'm watching soccer, I really appreciate accurate commentary focused overwhelmingly on the tactics on display, or the tactical evolution of the game, along with stuff about a various players' great, or poor, moments on or off the ball, etc. In other words, pure dryly delivered soccer talk.

As opposed to a bunch of BS that's wholly irrelevant to the game on the field. Such as how some coach or player must be feeling about something. I mean, putting aside the fact that the commentators can't possibly know how the players or coaches are feeling (unless they're mind readers), who actually GAF anyway?. It's not a freaking soccer therapy session.

It just seems like the USMNT qualifier game coverage has had far too much of the irrelevant BS and too much reality-TV-esque injected fake drama. And not nearly enough actual soccer talk about what's taking place on the field, other than droll play by play about stuff we can all see for ourselves anyway.

I also get the sense that they've been instructed to dumb everything way way down for the US audience, whom they appear to assume must know very little about soccer. There's almost a complete absence of discussion about the tactics in play at any given time.

I don't get that same sense at all when watching most European soccer, where it seems the presumption appears to be that the fans actually have a reasonably decent level of understanding about the sport.

But other than that, I'm perfectly okay with the commentating. 🙂

Okay, rant over.
Agreed. More Arlo White, Graeme Le Saux, and Lee Dixon in game please. But def more Jenny, Kate, and Jules in the pre and post-game.
Assuming that American audiences are less educated about the game is fine. They could use it as an opportunity to educate folks about the tactics, in game adjustments, positioning, etc., rather than be a cheerleader. It's why Madden was so beloved for the NFL.

If rants are acceptable at this point.. can the Outlaws please come up with more creative chants? Various flavors of chanting USA is so basic and annoying. Be more creative please.

Reactions: mildone
Here we go. Who else is watching?

Is the mascot of Qatar 2022 seriously a cross between Casper the ghost and a keffiyeh?

Oh fereffsake, please get on with it.

Ugh, opening ceremony for draw 😬. Trying to out do the Olympics. Lol FS1 cut away from it.

Who are these players on stage?

OMG. WTF. Maybe next time just announce draw time. Save me 20 minutes of my life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT