ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Why has the North Star have a fuzzy glow the last 2 nights?

RUfinally2008

All American
Aug 20, 2005
Seriously,last night I just figures there were high clouds near it, but tonight it looks the same again with most stars looking pretty clear.

9189283.jpg

Originally posted by DukeGrid:
I believe you are referring to Venus. Not the North Star.
Might be, as Venus is never as high as the North Star due to its (Venus's) proximity to the sun. In about 5 months it will be a morning star again, and the changes in position and brightness will impact its appearance. Also, Aliens. Julie will be issuing a perfunctory apology.

Edit: I think I just saw the star OP was referring to, and it is toward the north and sinking soon, so it isn't the North Star (the North Star doesn't set), but there was another bright star that had a glow around it. Not sure which one it was, but it was pretty bright, especially given its place near the horizon.
This post was edited on 4/18 10:19 PM by RutgersRaRa

It is about to explode and kill us all. Seriously. I am an astronomer....no wait an astrologer....no, sorry, just drinking whisky. Carry on.

If the North Star you are referring to was actually in the West... it's probably Venus. I'm pretty sure it's high clouds on both nights... just that the other stars are too dim to notice the fuzziness as much. That's my educated guess. And I am an astronomer... although I have had quite a bit of red wine tonight.

Originally posted by BuckRU:
If the North Star you are referring to was actually in the West... it's probably Venus. I'm pretty sure it's high clouds on both nights... just that the other stars are too dim to notice the fuzziness as much. That's my educated guess. And I am an astronomer... although I have had quite a bit of red wine tonight.
Celestron 8?

I left bread out for 2 nights and now it is fuzzy. Can I still eat it!

I also noticed that Uranus was fuzzy too, any ideas?

Did you just walk up to him and ask, 'can I check to see if Uranus is fuzzy'. Or did you do it without his knowledge using a telescope?

Originally posted by RutgersRaRa:

Celestron 8?
8i for me
And Stellarvue 104
and astrotech 66

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Celestron 8?
8i for me
And Stellarvue 104
and astrotech 66
Explains why you stay in the parking lot during the games and seem to still be up on things. I'm gonna credit the Stellarvue for that.

Originally posted by RUScrew85:

Celestron 8?
8i for me
And Stellarvue 104
and astrotech 66
13" Dob at home. 16" LX200 at the college. Didn't know there were so many astronomers on board!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT