ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will Notre Dame play in the ACC Championship game?

kapyoche

All American
Sep 11, 2010
They have some weird agreement with ACC when it comes to football.

If they don't play a championship game like other teams do then I just can't see them finishing in the top 4 for CFB playoffs. It would be a joke to have a team not play one last tough game to qualify for the playoffs.

I would not pick them in the top four if they are not playing in the ACC championship game. They could lose making the playoffs by taking the money and remaining independent.

No when the championship games roll around ND will fall in rankings without a Champ game notched to their resume.
BTW go look at their schedule every other game is a cup cake. Well designed, by nd but poor power ranking if anyone looks.

Reactions: brgossRU90
You're talking Notre Dame, not Baylor or TCU. The Domers don't need no stinking championship game to make the elite 4 teams.

If they win out they are 110% playing in the playoff. Same thing if the others win our Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State.

Why. Money and it will be the highest rated college athletic game(s) in history with those schools

No when the championship games roll around ND will fall in rankings without a Champ game notched to their resume.i
BTW go look at their schedule every other game is a cup cake. Well designed, by nd but poor power ranking if anyone looks.
Really? Unlike Alabama, Clemson, and another 50 plus teams they only play Divison 1 schools. Did you see the OCC for OK state, Clemson and Alabama? Btw ND has beaten two 25 currently ranked teams. Ohio State ...zero

Really? Unlike Alabama, Clemson, and another 50 plus teams they only play Divison 1 schools. Did you see the OCC for OK state, Clemson and Alabama? Btw ND has beaten two 25 currently ranked teams. Ohio State ...zero
They take credit for beating a ranked Georgia Tech who is now 3-6 and Temple who best win is against Penn State. two current ranked teams is Navy who we beat about 5 games straight. They beat the mighty Pittsburgh who we beat regularly. They won't get into the final four because the other teams are going into the meat of their schedule and ND schedule has very little meat.

They also beat the mighty USC and (4-5) Texas. USC fired their coach and Strong is about to be fired because they are so good. Their schedule is a perfect storm.

If they win out they are 110% playing in the playoff. Same thing if the others win our Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State.

Why. Money and it will be the highest rated college athletic game(s) in history with those schools

If Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and #6 Baylor win out, Baylor will get in ahead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame has Wake Forest, Boston College, and #7 Stanford remaining while Baylor has #12 Oklahoma, #8 Oklahoma State, #15 TCU, and Texas. The only way they make it would be at the expense of Clemson (Syracuse, Wake Forest, South Carolina, and #23 North Carolina / Pitt / Duke in the ACC Championship Game).

you mean the BIG East Championship game, right?
tumblr_inline_n9rlwhp9im1s7av0e.gif

Reactions: RUNYGDVLSFAN
An undefeated Baylor team will be selected for the playoffs before a 1 loss ND.

I don't watch Clemson, but I have seen Alabama and Ohio St.

Both of those teams would smoke ND.

Just like old times, they would be in a position they didn't earn.

If Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and #6 Baylor win out, Baylor will get in ahead of Notre Dame. Notre Dame has Wake Forest, Boston College, and #7 Stanford remaining while Baylor has #12 Oklahoma, #8 Oklahoma State, #15 TCU, and Texas. The only way they make it would be at the expense of Clemson (Syracuse, Wake Forest, South Carolina, and #23 North Carolina / Pitt / Duke in the ACC Championship Game).
There will be a Big Ten team , A SEC team, Clemson or FSt definitely in the final four. ND needs to beat out BiG 12 and PAC 12 for the final spot.

They kicked off their schedule teams that can beat them. No Big 12 since they can not score as much or Arizona or Arizona Ste because of the spread. Took off Michigan and Michigan State but kept the easy Purdue. I think they will want to schedule Rutgers now for the next few years.

If Notre Dame wins the rest of their regular season games, I think it is very probable that they will be in the playoff. I think there is a good probability that the Big 12 champ has at least 1 loss and the Pac 12 champ 2 losses. The last game against Stanford will be very big.

ND can take a bowl game away from an ACC team, aside from whichever bowl the ACC champion goes to but it cannot be the ACC champion itself, in football. I'm wondering how long it will take for the ACC schools to tire of seeing the bowl game their teams earned because it goes to ND instead. The bowl that goes to ND means that everyone from that pick on gets bumped down one bowl to a lesser game.

Hopefully Stanford will win out, which would solve the ND problem.

Reactions: brgossRU90
there was an idea floated on XM college sports radio - have ND play the BIG12 champion each year. Better for the BIG12 than expansion for a championship game. Interesting idea.

Nope. ND wins out they are in. Doesn't matter what Baylor does.

I don't watch Clemson, but I have seen Alabama and Ohio St.

Both of those teams would smoke ND.

Just like old times, they would be in a position they didn't earn.
Lost to the number one ranked team in the country on the road by 2 and would have beaten top 7 or even 5 Stanford on the road.

Nope. ND wins out they are in. Doesn't matter what Baylor does.

Yeah it does. Notre Dame plays 3-6 Wake and 3-7 BC before #7 Stanford. Baylor plays 3 teams that are ranked by the committee and 4-5 Texas.

If #1 Clemson (at 3-6 Syracuse), #2 Alabama (at #17 Mississippi State), #3 Ohio State (at 5-4 Illinois), #4 Notre Dame (home against 3-6 Wake), #5 Iowa (vs 4-5 Minnesota), #6 Baylor (vs #12 Oklahoma), and #7 Stanford (vs 6-3 Oregon) all win this weekend the order of the teams at this time next week will be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Iowa. Clemson might drop only to #2 and remain ahead of Ohio State, but Baylor will leap Notre Dame who needs Stanford (Oregon and Cal) to win their next two. Even if Notre Dame remains ahead of Baylor next week, they will drop the following week if they beat BC and Baylor wins at #8 Oklahoma State unless OSU lays a turd at Iowa State on Saturday.

Reactions: koleszar
Then why isn't Baylor in the top 4 now? The committee clearly does not respect the Big 12. There is still a lot of football the play but they just out Iowa over Oklahoma State as well

so if ND goes in the playoff, Clemson may need to beat them twice to win the championship? i don't see that happening. the playoff committee is trying hard to avoid controversies like that.

Yeah it does. Notre Dame plays 3-6 Wake and 3-7 BC before #7 Stanford. Baylor plays 3 teams that are ranked by the committee and 4-5 Texas.

If #1 Clemson (at 3-6 Syracuse), #2 Alabama (at #17 Mississippi State), #3 Ohio State (at 5-4 Illinois), #4 Notre Dame (home against 3-6 Wake), #5 Iowa (vs 4-5 Minnesota), #6 Baylor (vs #12 Oklahoma), and #7 Stanford (vs 6-3 Oregon) all win this weekend the order of the teams at this time next week will be Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, and Iowa. Clemson might drop only to #2 and remain ahead of Ohio State, but Baylor will leap Notre Dame who needs Stanford (Oregon and Cal) to win their next two. Even if Notre Dame remains ahead of Baylor next week, they will drop the following week if they beat BC and Baylor wins at #8 Oklahoma State unless OSU lays a turd at Iowa State on Saturday.
This is exactly correct Sherrane. Didn't anyone besides me and him listen to the committees criteria and explanations. This will be a week to week analysis. You play tougher opponents(ranked teams) you move up even if the other team wins against a 3-6 opponent. This is not being done like the AP or college polls where you win against whomever you don't drop, it's totally different. RUChip has it totally wrong.

Yea Notre Dame has no meat left, they only have to play #7 Stanford in the final game of the season. :rolleyes:

Then why isn't Baylor in the top 4 now? The committee clearly does not respect the Big 12. There is still a lot of football the play but they just out Iowa over Oklahoma State as well

Because Baylor hasn't beaten anybody. Yet. Come on, sometimes people make this too easy

Conference Championship Games have a problem, and that is that some very good teams get knocked out of contention. Since ND doesn't play in a CCG they will hurdle over those that do but lose their CCG. IF ND wins out, they're in.

It's Notre Dame-- they don't have to play in nobody's made up championship game... they just show up and get stuff.....

If they make the cut they'll get beat, you can bet the house on that
Yup. The name of the school should be "Our Lady of the Perpeually Overrated." If they win out the media will salivate over them getting in. Then somebody will thrash them like Alabama did in the championship game a few years back. Which was may favorite Notre Dame moment of the last decade or so.

"When it comes to ND, people will bend over backwards to get them in. It is considered their birth right, just ask any domer."

I don't see this is being true, where the committee is concerned. Most of the members of the committee are from the conferences. ND stands alone. I see things playing out the other way. If there is any way that the committee can keep ND out, it will do so (he writes, hopefully).

If texas or Oklahoma had Baylor ' s record they would be in the top 4. It's not disrespect for the big 12, it's disrespect for Baylor.

There is no way that a one loss ND is being left out of the playoff.

This is the new age of Football and if you do not play a championship game you will fall back a step in place of the conference champs. do the math 5 P5 conferences and a 1 loss ND trying to get a spot at the big 4 table. they will be sitting at 5 or 6 and after a few years of this (just look at Baylor/TCU last year) nd will be forced to join a conference. the longer they refuse they longer they miss the final 4, the more irrelevant they become. call a soothsayer projecting 5-8 years from now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT