ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Poor Notre Dame is being slighted in the new CFP format

The notion that Notre Dame won't be considered for the new football tournament format is wishful thinking.Conference championships is just for five selections.The won/loss records and national rankings also matter.Notre Dame is the only school that has a national tv contract for football.

Reactions: NotFromJersey
All kidding aside, when do you think ND is finally forced to sh$t or get off the pot with settling into a conference? Or do you think that time ever comes?

All kidding aside, when do you think ND is finally forced to sh$t or get off the pot with settling into a conference? Or do you think that time ever comes?
As Finebaum said on his show a few days back, they have that NBC contract proping them up and paying them a lot of money

As Finebaum said on his show a few days back, they have that NBC contract proping them up and paying them a lot of money
But how long? I haven’t studied it closely. It can’t sustain them forever especially in this environment.

They could definitely put together a Michigan-type year under the right leadership and with a little luck (like the Wolverines).

If it gets too untenable for them as an independent, they can always just join a conference.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
The notion that Notre Dame won't be considered for the new football tournament format is wishful thinking.Conference championships is just for five selections.The won/loss records and national rankings also matter.Notre Dame is the only school that has a national tv contract for football.
EDIT: @rutgersguy1

The Top 4 spots are for Conference Champions ONLY. So, seeds #1-4 are for Conference Champions, then highest ranked after that gets #5 seed and so on. So theoretically they could be #1 in the Country and wind up with a #5 seed for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
I’m thinking that another Faustian run would force their hand and NBC’s hand to make some tough decisions. However, if their wealthy alumni continues to support NIL they will probably avoid that scenario and can keep going as is.

This has been known for at least a few years and Swarbrick was on the group of 4 that helped create the format. They’re okay with never getting a bye.

It’s for the 12 team format which is only for the next two years. Beyond that it’s up in the air.

That’s where a potential issue can be for ND. If they expand beyond 12 to say 14 or 16 then the number of at-large bids could shrink to possibly even less than the 4 we have now.

Say hypothetically it’s 16. The B10 gets 4 auto bids, the SEC 4, the ACC 2, the B12 2 and the G5 1. That’s 13 out of 16 spots taken leaving just 3 at-large bids. That could be a tight squeeze for an indy ND.

They could definitely put together a Michigan-type year under the right leadership and with a little luck (like the Wolverines).

If it gets too untenable for them as an independent, they can always just join a conference.
"Luck," stealing signs, whatever.

The Top 5 spots are for Conference Champions ONLY. So, seeds #1-5 are for Conference Champions, then highest ranked after that gets #6 seed and so on. So theoretically they could be #1 in the Country and wind up with a #6 seed for the playoffs.
I think it’s the top 4 conf champs that get the 4 highest seeds, not 5. The fifth conference champ just gets seeded in order of CFP ranking wherever that ends up. Like UGA would’ve been the 5th seed this year not Liberty.

EDIT: my mistake it was FSU at 5 this year not UGA. But UGA was 6 not Liberty. It's only the top 4 seeds that get affected by highest conference champs.

I think it’s the top 4 conf champs that get the 4 highest seeds, not 5. The fifth conference champ just gets seeded in order of CFP ranking wherever that ends up. Like UGA would’ve been the 5th seed this year not Liberty.

Correct.
Conference Champs matter.....but only 4 of them. And 1 other matters a little bit.
The other 4 can GFY apparently.

It's like a competition between CFB and CBB for could have a worse seeding process.

CBB: We are going to have higher seeds/better teams play more games than a lower seed/worse team.

CFB:
Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

Correct.
Conference Champs matter.....but only 4 of them. And 1 other matters a little bit.
The other 4 can GFY apparently.

It's like a competition between CFB and CBB for could have a worse seeding process.

CBB: We are going to have higher seeds/better teams play more games than a lower seed/worse team.

CFB:
Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+
I edited my post because I made a mistake it was FSU at 5 this year not UGA. But UGA was at 6 and wasn't jumped by Liberty who was the highest ranked G5. Only the top 4 seeds are affected by the highest ranked conference champs.

It's actually not always going to be good for the 1 seeds because a 5 seed could be a stronger team than teams 2,3,4 and then will run into them sooner than if the 5 seed was seeded accordingly.

But it's a way to make conference championship games have something on the line and be worthwhile.

They beat Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Alabama, and Washington after the sign stealing was discovered. They were the best team in college football.
So none of the sign stealing intel they gathered before getting discovered could have been applied to any future games to help them? Even a little bit? And who's to say once they were discovered, they didnt continue cheating the system anyway? I think along the lines of once a cheater, always a cheater. They might have been the best team in football, but they get this in my book: 2023 National Champions *

I am having great difficulty trying to conjure up even a tiny bit of sympathy for ND.

Reactions: RUnTeX
But how long? I haven’t studied it closely. It can’t sustain them forever especially in this environment.

People have been saying this for 20 years, especially when conference re-alignment started. They just re-upped their deal through 2029 with NBC. Further, the new ND athletic director was the NBC Sports Chairman. I wouldn't think the relationship is dying any time soon.

EDIT: @rutgersguy1

The Top 4 spots are for Conference Champions ONLY. So, seeds #1-4 are for Conference Champions, then highest ranked after that gets #5 seed and so on. So theoretically they could be #1 in the Country and wind up with a #5 seed for the playoffs.

And at the end of the day, it's simply a trade off for ND. They don't have to play a conference champ game, which blocks them from the Top 4, but if they were in the Top 5 at the end of the season, they get the 5th seed more than likely which is another home game against the lowest seeded playoff team. After that, it goes to bowl sites anyway.

Notre Dame will eventually join a conference.

Longest time I figured it would be a big 10 due to the scores currently in the conference aligning with them

However, I would not be surprised to join the big 12. Although less money, I certainly don’t need it, I will be expanded playoffs, rough league, and we have a lot of say in the political in the big ten

They essentially do the dog which they enjoy being. I don’t know how much they would like sharing the spot with Ohio State & Michigan in the B1G

There's very little bitching from ND fans and even if you go to their board you don't see much .

I'm like most-----we aren't in a conference and we'll only play 12 games . It's only fair.

What no one has mentioned is that ND also doesn't have to play in a conference championship game either so that 1 less game is their bye.
That’s exactly why Swarbrick helped come up with it.

But like I said above it’s only for the next two years. We don’t know beyond that. Further expansion and auto bids could encroach on ND’s playoff access.

It’s possibly part of what could push them into a conference.

Notre Dame will eventually join a conference.

Longest time I figured it would be a big 10 due to the scores currently in the conference aligning with them

However, I would not be surprised to join the big 12. Although less money, I certainly don’t need it, I will be expanded playoffs, rough league, and we have a lot of say in the political in the big ten

They essentially do the dog which they enjoy being. I don’t know how much they would like sharing the spot with Ohio State & Michigan in the B1G
the more quality teams join the P2, the less options ND has. ND will get stuck playing also rans which lowers their quality of opponent hurting their chances via the rankings

the more quality teams join the P2, the less options ND has. ND will get stuck playing also rans which lowers their quality of opponent hurting their chances via the rankings
Thats true, but with the 12 team playoffs, they could theoretically run rough shot through that league and still get it

Thats true, but with the 12 team playoffs, they could theoretically run rough shot through that league and still get it
I don't think so

the committee basically told the world last year that quality of opponents and current team make up matter more than ever. Winning the ACC wasn't good enough when looking at OOC wins for ACC teams. No way the B12 helps ND or a reduced ACC when FSU leaves

Look at ND schedule next year, it's a joke

I don't think so

the committee basically told the world last year that quality of opponents and current team make up matter more than ever. Winning the ACC wasn't good enough when looking at OOC wins for ACC teams. No way the B12 helps ND or a reduced ACC when FSU leaves

Look at ND schedule next year, it's a joke
Personally I hope they join the big ten as the conference would be ridiculously awesome with them in it

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Personally I hope they join the big ten as the conference would be ridiculously awesome with them in it
it's the best possible fit for them. We're a national conference and will grow that way even more. at 24 though, there will be pods or something similar

we will mirror the nfl

it's the best possible fit for them. We're a national conference and will grow that way even more. at 24 though, there will be pods or something similar

we will mirror the nfl
I would love if Notre Dame, FSU, and Carolina all join. In addition to the current teams and structure, the conference would be absolutely stacked.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Notre Dame dosent play as strong a schedule as they used to. They have no buisness complaining. For the most part I don’t think they are.

But the problem for ND is that the 2 major conferences - B1G and SEC - are talking about doing away with their non conference games which would include ND in many of their schedules. Without any major-quality wins, will they be included in the Playoffs/

This is what happens when you think you're better than everyone else (ND) and want things your own way. Eff em

But the problem for ND is that the 2 major conferences - B1G and SEC - are talking about doing away with their non conference games which would include ND in many of their schedules. Without any major-quality wins, will they be included in the Playoffs/

This is what happens when you think you're better than everyone else (ND) and want things your own way. Eff em

This likely will never happen.

At the end of the day, even the big timers want a couple of tomato cans each year and also to load their schedule with as many home games as possible. If they go to no out of conference games, then they have to go to 6-6 home/away splits. Michigan is playing 8 home games this year, after 7 home games last year.

Out of conference games give them the opportunity for one off tomato can games that give them 7 or 8 home games in a season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT