ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women stay undefeated in BIG

Barring the 2016-17 season, in the last 5 seasons, she has notched 20 plus wins per year on average, won the WNIT (yeah, mock it) and has made the big tourney once.
Yeah, she's paid a lot. But she also seems to be picking up steam again. Can you point to a coach of Rutgers athletics who has had a similarly consistent winning record over 20 years? What are you suggesting--pay her $200K less, which is chump change? Maybe Chris Ash should forego his raise this year for going 1-11 last year.
Made the big tournament more than once - got to the final four twice with RU

Barring the 2016-17 season, in the last 5 seasons, she has notched 20 plus wins per year on average, won the WNIT (yeah, mock it) and has made the big tourney once.
Yeah, she's paid a lot. But she also seems to be picking up steam again. Can you point to a coach of Rutgers athletics who has had a similarly consistent winning record over 20 years? What are you suggesting--pay her $200K less, which is chump change? Maybe Chris Ash should forego his raise this year for going 1-11 last year.
I’m saying if we paid a football coach top 10 in the country type money and went bowling 1 time in 5 years we’d be screaming from the rafters.

I’m saying if we paid a football coach top 10 in the country type money and went bowling 1 time in 5 years we’d be screaming from the rafters.
Hard to say. I think our standards have been lowered so far, we might tolerate something like that. What's this bowling thing you speak of?

I somewhat see your point, but Coach Stringer should get a lot more slack than some new coach with less than 6 years under his or her belt. Yes, she has not produced at a high level lately, but she, like Ash and Pikiell, had to transition to the B1G schedule--and guess what---she is doing remarkably better than both of them, and seems like she might be getting traction for another solid run. Just so that the Knight Report jinx is not invoked, she will probably fail miserably.

quick note on foul calls.. seeing this game and some of the heinous calls and non-calls, I looked up stats of the Maryland game and this game.. BEFORE the other team started fouling us at the end.. the fouls and FT differential were disgusting both times.

vs Huskers.. at one point I heard the announcer say Nebraska as missed 11 FTs and I joked that we probably had not take 11 FTs yet.. despite leading.. we were 7 for 10, when they were 17 for 28. Our experienced team on a winning streak vs a bunch of underclassmen.. good team vs mediocre... and we do not the star treatment given to the better teams. If anything, we saw the opposite...

Same thing vs Maryland... MD got 22 FTs. Rutgers.. before the end game fouling.. had taken just 9 FTs

vs Penn State.. for the game PSU was 19 of 26, Rutgers was 15 of 17 with only 2 of those FTs coming in the last minute due to fouling.

While any one game's FT differentials could be because of style of defense or aggressiveness of same.. or lack of.. of going inside vs outside.. the games I have seen show Rutgers gets called more.. PERIOD. We have a good team, HoF coach, play with the lead, go inside and still get called for more fouls.

It is disheartening. Given a fair shake in that Nebraska game it would have been a snoozefest for the home Husker fans. We cannot expect our team to continually beat the other team AND the refs.

Hard to say. I think our standards have been lowered so far, we might tolerate something like that. What's this bowling thing you speak of?

I somewhat see your point, but Coach Stringer should get a lot more slack than some new coach with less than 6 years under his or her belt. Yes, she has not produced at a high level lately, but she, like Ash and Pikiell, had to transition to the B1G schedule--and guess what---she is doing remarkably better than both of them, and seems like she might be getting traction for another solid run. Just so that the Knight Report jinx is not invoked, she will probably fail miserably.
Come on. It would be like paying out football coach 7 million a year and going bowling 20% of the time. No chance

Reactions: Debtbubble
She was successful at one time. Hasn’t been in while. Should Lou holtz still be HC at ND?
at one time between the MBB, FB & WBB programs she was the only one successful.
Seems like it's the same way now.
Pike shows possibilities, but CVS has brought RUWBB back to national prominence and had a winning season last year. The only one of the 3 that done so.

What makes it hard to claim Vivian Stringer is doing a good job , is the expectations Rutgers fans have for the WBB program that Vivian gave ( and met) RU WBB fans years ago , but hasn't for awhile.

As for pay, her reputation and respect she brings to Rutgers doesn't have a price tag and
when comparing salaries with other College WBB HCs don't forget some areas are more expensive to live in and schools have to pay more . So don't expect a coach from Mississippi to coach in NJ for the same salary if they have a choice.
Doubt you'd get one of HOF caliber to settle for Mississippi wages .
Vivian earned her pay and to many RU fans think running a program on the cheap will bring in great coaching talent and want to dump her.
Stringer had been getting recruits to play for Rutgers based on her reputation , not the facilities the recruits saw on their visit.
That must count for something.

But can understand why some feel CVS isn't coaching as well as she did years ago.
Last NCAA tourney appearance was the 2014-15 season
Even though RU WBB had 19 or more wins 3 out of the last 4 years that one losing season was a doozie.

at one time between the MBB, FB & WBB programs she was the only one successful.
Seems like it's the same way now.
Pike shows possibilities, but CVS has brought RUWBB back to national prominence and had a winning season last year. The only one of the 3 that done so.

What makes it hard to claim Vivian Stringer is doing a good job , is the expectations Rutgers fans have for the WBB program that Vivian gave ( and met) RU WBB fans years ago , but hasn't for awhile.

As for pay, her reputation and respect she brings to Rutgers doesn't have a price tag and
when comparing salaries with other College WBB HCs don't forget some areas are more expensive to live in and schools have to pay more . So don't expect a coach from Mississippi to coach in NJ for the same salary if they have a choice.
Doubt you'd get one of HOF caliber to settle for Mississippi wages .
Vivian earned her pay and to many RU fans think running a program on the cheap will bring in great coaching talent and want to dump her.
Stringer had been getting recruits to play for Rutgers based on her reputation , not the facilities the recruits saw on their visit.
That must count for something.

But can understand why some feel CVS isn't coaching as well as she did years ago.
Last NCAA tourney appearance was the 2014-15 season
Even though RU WBB had 19 or more wins 3 out of the last 4 years that one losing season was a doozie.
What do you call this past season with Ash? That was more than a doozie.

It’s not about her. It isn’t personal.

Stop making decisions based on feelings. Throw everything at the 2 sports that generate revenue. Everything else needs to be on a stringent budget.

10,000 FB season tickets gone is big money.

What do you call this past season with Ash? That was more than a doozie.
BS ( before Schiano) type
Schiano had terrible years his 1st and 2nd as HC, but progress was being made and by 3rd record shown it.

Ash shown improvement in his second year and regressed in his 3rd.

women's basketball has been the crown jewel of Rutgers Athletics the past 2 decades.
4353924366_766414bf76_b.jpg

A lot of the old dudes here still think she’s way overpaid.

Dude...I’m a lot younger than you...but based on the last 5(?) years she IS overpaid. Dozens of programs blew by us, locals included, let’s not forget.

...THAT being said this is GREAT and it Would be awesome, a complete re-ward, if she brings us our first Big Ten title, whether regular season or post season!

Mississippi wages? WTF? We don’t need a top WBB coach. It’s not about her record. It’s not about her period. You missed the entire point.

The sport doesn’t generate revenue. And it’s just fluff like swimming or a dozen other sports. RU can’t pay and doesn’t need to pay top dollar for these teams.

They need to focus on the 2 sports that generate revenue. Which they are horrible at.

Mississippi wages? WTF? We don’t need a top WBB coach. It’s not about her record. It’s not about her period. You missed the entire point.

The sport doesn’t generate revenue. And it’s just fluff like swimming or a dozen other sports. RU can’t pay and doesn’t need to pay top dollar for these teams.

They need to focus on the 2 sports that generate revenue. Which they are horrible at.
Note the use of "they".

This guy is not a Rutgers fan. He is an ass hat and a clown. Piss off, loser.

It’s not about her. It isn’t personal.

Stop making decisions based on feelings. Throw everything at the 2 sports that generate revenue. Everything else needs to be on a stringent budget.

Good luck trying that nonsense, you might want to read up on what Title IX involves about financial support of Women's teams, that is if you know how to read!

Back to basketball.... I've seen the women 3x on TV, and once at the RAC. It's been a while since we've had playmakers on offense, and this year's squad has them. The defense is tenacious, and we finally have some depth off the bench.

I've been rough on Coach Stringer the last few seasons and said the game has passed her by. I was wrong. I was so impressed with their wins @ Maryland and yesterday @ Nebraska. This year's team has resurrected my interest in RU women's hoops. If you haven't seen the ladies play, check them out.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge

Yet many bitch about these teams if they don't do well. You can't have it both ways; under fund them and then bitch when they don't do well.

It’s much easier percentage wise making it to a bowl than the ncaa tourny

She is doing a great job this year but saying last year they were like 17-3 and then lost like 9 of 12 to end the season

I don't think they have the same collapse as last year but there is no denying that since 2009 there was a huge drop off where ru was not a top 25 program

She is doing a great job this year but saying last year they were like 17-3 and then lost like 9 of 12 to end the season

Franchise player Tyler Scaife was coming off heart surgery and a year layoff. IMO, she just wasn't yet physically able to carry the team for a whole season, hence the second half disappointments. This year's team is totally different, much deeper, with 10 players getting lots of minutes (and sharing a lot of the box score); so, hopefully, we won't see that problem again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT