ADVERTISEMENT

Next year only 15 of the 18 teams will play in the B1G Tournament

Just found the other thread. Go there.

15 out of 18 make it to keep the double by for the top 4 and as a five day tournament. They really couldn't get another three teams in there?

12265264.jpg

Conference Tournament serves one purpose - automatic bye for 1 team.
Design the tournament to maximize the benefit for the Big Ten.

Keep the current 14 team format.
Top 4 DON'T participate.
They don't need the automatic bye. They are in the NCAA tournament anyway.

Make it easier for a team to "steal" a bid like the other conferences do.

Teams 5-18 get seeded 1-14 with the winner getting the "Big Ten AQ bid".

If your worried about "too much rest" then the top 4 can play a mini round robin on the same days as the official semi/finals.

• Wow
Reactions: bac2therac
No one cares about

Washington vs Penn State
Fans of Washington and Penn St certainly do…and bigger fans of college basketball (I’ll watch any two teams playing during Championship week, especially any Big Ten games).

You really think it’s a good idea to give Washington the bye the first day if they are the 9th seed, but at 10, they should be playing?

I see no downside to a 9-16 game.

Last edited:
Fans of Washington and Penn St certainly do…and bigger fans of college basketball (I’ll watch any two teams playing during Championship week, especially any Big Ten games).

You really think it’s a good idea to give Washington the bye the first day if they are the 9th seed, but at 10, they should be playing?

I see no downside to a 9-16 game.
I'm guessing NCAA tournament resume has a lot to do with it. The #9 team in the Big Ten is probably going to be somewhere around the bubble. What benefit do they get by playing the #16 team in the league? The 16th place team is most likely not getting a postseason tournament invitation and losing to them hurts #9's resume more than a win helps. If they lose to the #8 team, it's not as damaging.

I'm guessing NCAA tournament resume has a lot to do with it. The #9 team in the Big Ten is probably going to be somewhere around the bubble. What benefit do they get by playing the #16 team in the league? The 16th place team is most likely not getting a postseason tournament invitation and losing to them hurts #9's resume more than a win helps. If they lose to the #8 team, it's not as damaging.
But if that’s the case, why have 10 play 15 rather than giving them a bye too? The same logic would apply, right?

That's why you cut out the top teams from the conference tournament and make it easier for the #9 team on the bubble to "win" the Big Ten AQ bid and guarantee another Big Ten NCAA bid.

Think About It GIF by Identity

That's why you cut out the top teams from the conference tournament and make it easier for the #9 team on the bubble to "win" the Big Ten AQ bid and guarantee another Big Ten NCAA bid.

Meh. Team that needs a few more wins….

no wants to see lesser schools while top schools dont even play for 12 days at least

Why not just have a simple format of top 16 teams make the tournament, single elimination? Worst two teams get left out.

First round 16 down to 8, then quarter finals second round down to 4 teams, third round semifinals, fourth round final.
I like this idea as well. But they can't play 8 games in one day on the same court. They would need to play half the games on an alternate court on day 1. That could be a big issue as well as the fact that the reward for finishing in the top 4 is diminished significantly. The current and future format makes it extraordinarily difficult for a team not in the top 4 to win it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT