ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Women stay undefeated in BIG

Should have already been in top 25 when they beat #4 Maryland. Anyone else get the impression that CVS is not especially liked by her peers/writers?

Reactions: LC-88
A lot of the old dudes here still think she’s way overpaid.
I'll admit to being one, as I've claimed the game has passed her by. I think she now gets that in today's game you need 3 point shooters, not just superior athletes to be successful. Kudos to her! Go Lady Knights!

Reactions: beaced
They are doing this with a few potential stars on the bench aren't they ? And 2 more arriving next year.

Reactions: KevH
No one cares. They lose money and give away tickets. Sort of like the football team will be this year.

No one cares. They lose money and give away tickets. Sort of like the football team will be this year.
I hate the "they lose money" line. Most sports teams at any university lose money. Hell, most university programs lose money.

If financial self-sufficiency were the objective, the university would consist solely of a business school and some STEM programs. And football.

Why is it that when one of our teams does something well you find something negative to post about it. I have come to the conclusion that you are either a troll, a very depressed human being or a wanna be athlete who never excelled at anything. Who knows maybe all three.

Should have already been in top 25 when they beat #4 Maryland. Anyone else get the impression that CVS is not especially liked by her peers/writers?

We seem to believe we get screwed in rankings in any sport we are competitive in (ie. Lacrosse), but I've never heard anyone wonder if their "peers/writers" just don't like those coaches. Wonder why?

Depressed, maybe but not clinically. I’ve been watching RU football for years. So that could explain it?

Otherwise your shots in the dark are way off.

“I like women and I like basketball. But I don’t like women’s basketball”

No one cares is a figure of speach. How many people buy tickets to these games? Is there a big TV contract?

RU doesn’t pay the swimming coach and lacrosse coach a million a year? You can get a WBB coach for much less. Don’t say the AD doesn’t have enough money when they overpaid 5X or more for a coach of a non revenue generating sport.

A lot of the old dudes here still think she’s way overpaid.
Her pay seems to be in line with her peers, and in line for a hall of fame coach.
Data is a little dated. Her base is $775K.
http://www.sportsinfo.pro/WBBSurvey2017.html

Dawn Staley at South Carolina is over $1M in salary now and she just received a $7.8M extension:
https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/22/15392698/south-carolina-dawn-staley-agree-extension-ncaaw

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/ind...tringer_inks_4-year_extension_does_rutge.html

Keep throwing stones at longest tenured and the most successful coach at Rutgers. SMH.

Why is it that when one of our teams does something well you find something negative to post about it. I have come to the conclusion that you are either a troll, a very depressed human being or a wanna be athlete who never excelled at anything. Who knows maybe all three.

Make no mistake about it some people here really, really , really do not want Rutgers to have success in anything. These are typically SHU and PSU fans pretending to be Rutgers Fans. It used to be Cuse and Uconn fans doing it years ago but I don't think those guys post here anymore. It is the same people that post in the NJ.com comments section.

NO RUTGERS FAN are ever upset when a Rutgers team wins, think about it, that makes no sense whatsoever!

OK just say for arguments sake, say it’s in line with what other schools pay. Then obviously you need to pay what other successful schools pay for the most important sport that has the potential to generate tremendous revenue?

Or do you just pay top dollar (based on other schools of course) for the non revenue sports?

Just seems obvious to me that you throw everything at the sport that makes money. Save the 500K on the one that loses money.

Then one day maybe... if you are swimming in money like OSU or Michigan. Pay a WBB coach a million a year.

OK just say for arguments sake, say it’s in line with what other schools pay. Then obviously you need to pay what other successful schools pay for the most important sport that has the potential to generate tremendous revenue?

Or do you just pay top dollar (based on other schools of course) for the non revenue sports?

Just seems obvious to me that you throw everything at the sport that makes money. Save the 500K on the one that loses money.

Then one day maybe... if you are swimming in money like OSU or Michigan. Pay a WBB coach a million a year.
for arguments sake, should you drop a money losing sport that went 1-11 the previous year and has needed to be subsidized by Rutgers University in the past. Along with having a few of its players arrested for various crimes, possibly hurting the University's reputation because of their actions.
Makes sense if you object to paying fair market rate to coaches in non revenue sports.

I think not, non revenue sports along with others sports programs ( money makers or negative balance) are part of the fabric of many major Universities and make being a student at Rutgers ( or any University) more than just academics.

Depressed, maybe but not clinically. I’ve been watching RU football for years. So that could explain it?

Otherwise your shots in the dark are way off.

“I like women and I like basketball. But I don’t like women’s basketball”

No one cares is a figure of speach. How many people buy tickets to these games? Is there a big TV contract?

RU doesn’t pay the swimming coach and lacrosse coach a million a year? You can get a WBB coach for much less. Don’t say the AD doesn’t have enough money when they overpaid 5X or more for a coach of a non revenue generating sport.

You are chewing on some very sour grapes.

eliminate New Jersey residents--we make more from out of staters

Her pay seems to be in line with her peers, and in line for a hall of fame coach.
Data is a little dated. Her base is $775K.
http://www.sportsinfo.pro/WBBSurvey2017.html

Dawn Staley at South Carolina is over $1M in salary now and she just received a $7.8M extension:
https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/4/22/15392698/south-carolina-dawn-staley-agree-extension-ncaaw

https://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/ind...tringer_inks_4-year_extension_does_rutge.html

Keep throwing stones at longest tenured and the most successful coach at Rutgers. SMH.
She was successful at one time. Hasn’t been in while. Should Lou holtz still be HC at ND?

Does this season count or nah?
Sure does. I hope they keep it up but let’s wait till the season is over. She’s a top 10 paid coach in the country. I’d hope making the NCAA tourney isn’t the bar.

She has one of the best high school players in the country going to go to Rutgers. Saw it on ABC. Maori Davenport.

Sure does. I hope they keep it up but let’s wait till the season is over. She’s a top 10 paid coach in the country. I’d hope making the NCAA tourney isn’t the bar.
Barring the 2016-17 season, in the last 5 seasons, she has notched 20 plus wins per year on average, won the WNIT (yeah, mock it) and has made the big tourney once.
Yeah, she's paid a lot. But she also seems to be picking up steam again. Can you point to a coach of Rutgers athletics who has had a similarly consistent winning record over 20 years? What are you suggesting--pay her $200K less, which is chump change? Maybe Chris Ash should forego his raise this year for going 1-11 last year.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Barring the 2016-17 season, in the last 5 seasons, she has notched 20 plus wins per year on average, won the WNIT (yeah, mock it) and has made the big tourney once.
Yeah, she's paid a lot. But she also seems to be picking up steam again. Can you point to a coach of Rutgers athletics who has had a similarly consistent winning record over 20 years? What are you suggesting--pay her $200K less, which is chump change? Maybe Chris Ash should forego his raise this year for going 1-11 last year.
If the salaries are merit based Ash may owe the school money. The soccer coach should not be paid as well as the volleyball coach.

Reactions: ScarletteK80

Yes Women’s BB is a huge, huge drain on the Athletics Budget....like most programs.
However Football offsets that in the majority of B1G programs. Hopefully our Football program becomes relevant again in the future and can have positive revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT