ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YouTube TV or HULU TV Experiences?

Raritan83

Senior
Sep 6, 2011
Cedar Grove
Anyone have any experience with either YouTube TV or Hulu TV? Both have BTN.

FiOS contact coming due in 2 months and they want to double what I am paying.

I have had the YouTubeTV since the Washington game and it is decent - no major problems. Live channels are good for watching games. However, you only get the main BTN, not the overflow channels.

I am not familiar with the Hulu TV experience

Reactions: mikefla
Even if you cut off the TV packages, aren't you still on the hook for the internet connection?

Last time I audited my services, it was only something like $60 more to get the channels I wanted.

I have had the YouTubeTV since the Washington game and it is decent - no major problems. Live channels are good for watching games. However, you only get the main BTN, not the overflow channels.

Think PlayStation Vue has the best lineup of Channels. Sports and otherwise. All BTN overflows. Best service, imo.

Even if you cut off the TV packages, aren't you still on the hook for the internet connection?

Last time I audited my services, it was only something like $60 more to get the channels I wanted.

Yes still need the internet. That said with the cost of that and the roughly $35 YouTube cost it is a $60 month difference for me which is still $720 a year.

Think PlayStation Vue has the best lineup of Channels. Sports and otherwise. All BTN overflows. Best service, imo.

What type of equipment do you need for that?

Yes still need the internet. That said with the cost of that and the roughly $35 YouTube cost it is a $60 month difference for me which is still $720 a year.

What type of equipment do you need for that?

He have PS Vue on firesticks in our house. Many more features of the service if u download on a PlayStation, however. But it more than fine on a firestick.

+1. I cut the cable over the summer. We pay for PlayStation Vue and get BTN, Yes, most of the ESPNs and FS1. We also have the local network NYC feeds and cut our total bill in half. Unlimited DVR (cloud based) that can record as many channels as you want is very nice.

In terms of performance, any problems have been on the ISP side and we've worked out most of those kinks. Got the most up to date modem from cable company and went with a high end router for the house.

Side note -- we use fire sticks on our TVs. The fire stick app for Vue is significantly better than the one for Roku. We have a traditional "guide" that is a grid. The Roku app does not.

Reactions: FanuSanu52

+1. I cut the cable over the summer. We pay for PlayStation Vue and get BTN, Yes, most of the ESPNs and FS1. We also have the local network NYC feeds and cut our total bill in half. Unlimited DVR (cloud based) that can record as many channels as you want is very nice.

In terms of performance, any problems have been on the ISP side and we've worked out most of those kinks. Got the most up to date modem from cable company and went with a high end router for the house.

Side note -- we use fire sticks on our TVs. The fire stick app for Vue is significantly better than the one for Roku. We have a traditional "guide" that is a grid. The Roku app does not.

Vue also has all the Turner networks..great for March Madness. YT TV doesn’t..and don’t think Roku does either.

Agree with all this.

I have YouTube and love it. Will prob cancel after football season to save money and sign up again in the fall. Big plus is the cloud saved DVR that is free with it.

Oh even though you don't get the overflow BTN channel you can just use the BTN app and sign in with your YouTube account. I just cast the RUgames to my big screen TV from the BTN app when that happens. It works great.

Been looking into PS Vue for a little while now. Packages range from $39.99/month to $74.99/month. Looking at the packages, I think most people moving over from cable would be happy with the $44.99/month package which includes BTN.

Do you get SNY?

with youtube TV is it monthly per device or account? I'm adding 3 Tv's to my basement and my Direct TV is maxed out. I can't add anymore boxes without headache

Do you get SNY?

No SNY or MSG. I get My9, but not PIX, so any I miss the handful of Yankee games on channel 11. I don't do hockey or the Mets, so it's not a problem for me.

I'll also mention that I got an Obi200 (Similar to MagicJack). I don't have 911 in the house (would need to call from a cell), but still have a house line that doesn't cost me a dime (beyond the cost of the Obi). I pay $45 for Vue and $70 for internet. Our bill went from $210 to $115. We still get all the same channels, and we no longer have to deal with the "introductory package" bs that escalates every year. Couldn't be happier.

There is a 30 second or so delay with live sports on the Vue. When Rutgers scores, my phone lights up with texts and I have to wait to see what happens.

Reactions: thegock

Do you get SNY?

None of the streaming services offer SNY or MSG. That’s a bummer

Reactions: Block R

Also a PS Vue user. Quite happy with it. The only channel I've missed from cable, in terms of college football, is PAC12 network, which usually has a good game or two per Saturday. PAC12 is my second favorite conference, though, so might not matter to others.

Overall happy with it.

Interesting. I've been using only on Roku but sounds like Fire stick might be worth switching. Thanks for that info.

Also a PS Vue user. Quite happy with it. The only channel I've missed from cable, in terms of college football, is PAC12 network, which usually has a good game or two per Saturday. PAC12 is my second favorite conference, though, so might not matter to others.

Overall happy with it.

Interesting. I've been using only on Roku but sounds like Fire stick might be worth switching. Thanks for that info.

I have the firestick and be aware that the remote control is somewhat defective. I have to change the batteries every 2 weeks or so or the remote becomes unresponsive. Google it to verify it. Now, I don;t know if the remote issue has been fixed or not by Amazon. My system is over 1 yr old.

I chose Hulu live TV specifically for BTN and it's the only service with BTN on XBox One. It's very stable and you have access to the entire Hulu library as well. It's missing AMC and Comedy Central though, which is annoying.

If Directv Now ever comes to XBox one, I'd probably switch to that.

Reactions: mikefla

Overall happy with it.

I have the firestick and be aware that the remote control is somewhat defective. I have to change the batteries every 2 weeks or so or the remote becomes unresponsive. Google it to verify it. Now, I don;t know if the remote issue has been fixed or not by Amazon. My system is over 1 yr old.

I’ve had firestick for about a year and never had that remote problem.

Must have fixed I️t.

So I’ve decided to finally cut the cord. I know there have been threads on this in the past but didn’t pay much attention.

For those who use a streaming service over Fios or cable, what are your thoughts/feedback/regrets? I’m leaning towards Hulu or YouTube. I already subscribe to Netflix. Only setback to either service is no AMC so I have to wait for Saul to hit Netflix or Blueray.

I have the channel comparison but curious as to performance and pitfalls. I have Roku smart TV’s and Fios 25 Mbps.

Hulu doesn't offer live content. Youtube TV does. I have both but Hulu is more to watch episodes of the latest season of X or to put on cartoons for your kids. Youtube TV is to watch the football game live, or NHL, NBA, etc.

Get Youtube TV and branch out from there.

Reactions: Jersey Boys
Hulu doesn't offer live content. Youtube TV does. I have both but Hulu is more to watch episodes of the latest season of X or to put on cartoons for your kids. Youtube TV is to watch the football game live, or NHL, NBA, etc.

Interesting. When you say no live content are you talking about traditional Hulu or Hulu with live content? The latter includes traditional Hulu plus the standard live TV.

I have YouTube TV. It's really good. If you're into sports you're going to get most of the channels you need. Only thing I don't have is MSG but you get YES, BTN, all the espns, fox sports, tennis channel and of course your local broadcast stations.

I would say this though: it looks better on my computer than it does on my 55 inch 4k tv. The bigger the TV, the more it looks like a stream. You can tell there is compression going on. The quality of cable is probably a bit better still. However, I'm saving so much money I really don't care. Basically I have YouTube TV and supplement it with Netflix and Amazon Prime and I have all I'll ever need.

You can watch live tv on Hulu. However playing for this, plus you internet connection (enough to watch tv), plus any other services will soon cost as much as your cable bill. You’re better off just calling your cable co and getting a better price.

Prices for these alternative services have already gone up as they add content

You can watch live tv on Hulu. However playing for this, plus you internet connection (enough to watch tv), plus any other services will soon cost as much as your cable bill. You’re better off just calling your cable co and getting a better price.

I pay $35 a month for 100mb internet from Verizon and $40 for YouTube TV. You're just not going to get a deal like that with cable.

Hulu and YouTube are both $40 and have pretty much everything I need. I've done the math, when you add in the triple play cost of TV, additional fees and multiple DVR boxes it's far from cheaper. Like $100 vs $40 cheaper. To quote Pulp Fiction, Cable is dead as... dead.

I am very impressed with DirecTV Now. For $40/month, you get plenty of channels, HBO, 20 hours of cloud DVR recording and 2 simultaneous viewing. If you have ATT unlimited choice plan, that could mean free HBO and possibly another $15 deducted on the DirecTV Now price. Can't beat that price. The service is excellent and the new menu is easy to view.

I am very impressed with DirecTV Now. For $40/month, you get plenty of channels, HBO, 20 hours of cloud DVR recording and 2 simultaneous viewing. If you have ATT unlimited choice plan, that could mean free HBO and possibly another $15 deducted on the DirecTV Now price. Can't beat that price. The service is excellent and the new menu is easy to view.
+1. Switched to directTV Now a couple months ago and honestly wasn't thrilled the first few weeks. But latest updates to the guide, menu, and cloud DVR have really improved my experience. Get BTN, all the ESPNs, all the Fox Sports, NBC Sports, Tennis channel, Golf channel, YES. Only sports channels missing for me are MSG and SNY. Not a Mets or Knicks fan, so only really missing out on the Rangers, but at least I get NBC Sports for the NHL playoffs.

I'm saving $100/month. Totally worth it.

Yep...it may be cheaper to cut the cord vs. paying a monthly cable bill today but these steaming options are just going to continue to increase once more people migrate over and they have everyone by the balls.

Hulu and YouTube are both $40 and have pretty much everything I need. I've done the math, when you add in the triple play cost of TV, additional fees and multiple DVR boxes it's far from cheaper. Like $100 vs $40 cheaper. To quote Pulp Fiction, Cable is dead as... dead.
I thought the Pulp Fiction quote was “dead and f*%king fried chicken”.

What I meant was that cutting the cord now may be a good deal but give it another year or two, it won’t be so cheap. I used to pay $100 for my fios triple play with all the bells and whistles. I think it was YouTube who raised their price $15 more a month once they added the Turner network saying “now you can watch the ncaa tournament blah blah blah”. YouTube still doesn’t have Viacom or Discovery/Scripps nets. When they eventually do add them, that cost gets passed on to you. YouTube also admitted that their subscription price isn’t sustainable but their priority is getting a foothold in the market. Price will go up as they add content. Price will go up as they make their own content. Distribution is buying up everything. Comcast is going to bid for Fox, which will give them the majority stake in Hulu. What happens when your data starts getting capped?

Alls I’m saying is enjoy the extra $40 now because it won’t be long before your cord cutting plan costs just as much as what you’re paying for cable.

I have tried them all including Direct TV now and Playstation Vue. Direct TV Now has the most Cable like feel. Do yourself a favor and sign up a free trial for all of them.

I thought the Pulp Fiction quote was “dead and f*%king fried chicken”.

What I meant was that cutting the cord now may be a good deal but give it another year or two, it won’t be so cheap. I used to pay $100 for my fios triple play with all the bells and whistles. I think it was YouTube who raised their price $15 more a month once they added the Turner network saying “now you can watch the ncaa tournament blah blah blah”. YouTube still doesn’t have Viacom or Discovery/Scripps nets. When they eventually do add them, that cost gets passed on to you. YouTube also admitted that their subscription price isn’t sustainable but their priority is getting a foothold in the market. Price will go up as they add content. Price will go up as they make their own content. Distribution is buying up everything. Comcast is going to bid for Fox, which will give them the majority stake in Hulu. What happens when your data starts getting capped?

Alls I’m saying is enjoy the extra $40 now because it won’t be long before your cord cutting plan costs just as much as what you’re paying for cable.

You don’t have a contract so you could theoretically switch back at some point. Bottom line is I’m not that big of a live TV watcher anyway. I watch more Netflix than anything. The $200+ cost of my triple play plan just ain’t worth it for me anymore. I watch CNBC at times, YES and the occasional HBO/Showtime series. I can’t even remember the last time I watched a network sitcom.

it's disgraceful what the cable industry has been allowed to do. (perhaps because they control the internet as much as anyone, and outright own or fund virtually all the non print main stream media).

cable and the internet should both be treated as utilities, (duh!), and regulated as such including price.

cue the board cable/internet social media reps/lobbyists to tell you this isn't so.

cable/internet providers should be infrastructure providers only, and should never be allowed to have any ownership interests in any content what so ever, or receive any revenue from content what so ever, for any reason.

in addition, they should not be allowed to even sell content, as allowing them to do so allows them to force you to buy content you have absolutely zero desire to buy..

the idea that you should have to sign 1 and 2 year contracts to have what's essentially a utility or be charged grossly more, is beyond absurd.

no greater example of complete failure of govt and the purchase of policy, than the cable/internet industry.

a total disgrace what's gone down, and a testament to the power of moneyed interests controlling the media to advance their own ends.

blame not cable. moneyed interests will never self regulate themselves, and to expect so is to completely fail to grasp the very essence of capitalism.

all the blame falls on govt, it's ceasing to represent the interests of the citizenry, and doing so strictly for the self gain of those in govt.

on a side note, everyone who is "cutting the cord" is catching themselves in a catch 22 to begin with.

if you aren't dependent on all your video being delivered over the internet, 2-3 megs is way more speed than you need, and $15-20 mo wired internet should more than suffice. (or just use your phone internet).

and 2-3 megs is more than enough to stream if not running multiple streams at once.

also remember that absent title II classification, ISPs can charge you whatever they they want for the internet and there's nothing you can do about it.

the instant you become dependent on the internet for your "cable" needs, you're just that much more at their mercy.

if you think they are in the nice guy business, or haven't already figured this all out long ago, you are being naive.

most of the country has no more than 2 ISPs to pick from tops, and duopolies behave very much like monopolies.

if you think 5g is coming tomorrow to save you, don't hold your breath, or think it will necessarily will be a savior when it does eventually arrive.

on a side note, when cable started, delivery was all you were charged for. you pd zero for content. content sustained themselves with ads unless you got premium channels like HBO or Showtime, which you subscribed to ala carte.

even when cable expanded to 36-41 channels, you still paid only a couple bucks a mo for content. (why cable was still only $10 mo or less).

no one should need to pay more than $50 mo for cable and internet, and should get a good choice of channels and more than adequate speed for that amount.

and no contracts or forced equipment rental.

everyone is being forced into paying $100 mo more than they should be, and both the cable/internet providers and content providers work together to keep this rate ridiculously artificially high.

Last edited:

people love to say that to justify their own cable package, but it simply isn't true. a lot of money to be saved now. if they raise to cable prices ...well, we can talk about that then.

streaming also offers the advantage of being able to easily cancel/restart ...so use it when you need (like football season), save $$$ the rest of the year. so even if the per/mo price is same as cable, yearly is not.

if they make it more like cable, think plenty of people will be cutting out live tv period, going all netflix or the like and spending more time doing something other than staring at a colorful box. i know i will

Reactions: Jersey Boys
I didn’t go through and read everyone’s response but we “cut the cord” 5 months ago and it’s great !

I cancelled my Verizon after they royally screwed up and enticed me to even consider this. I then came back and got the new customer internet only deal ($40/month) from Verizon. I have not noticed any speed difference between this vs my prior 1GB for steaming 2 TVs . Laptop, phones , iPads and a few other devices.

We use YouTube TV and love it. Channels are great (my wife only complained about missing one of the HGTV type of channels) , on demand inventory is great, it’s easy to use and only $35/month.

So now we’re paying $75/month for Internet and TV vs $155 prior and have barely noticed the change

Does the $40 cover multiple TVS / devices in 1 house or account?
It's one account but yeah it can be on multiple devices at a time. You can also have your phone or iPad in a completely different market and if u have internet, you get TV. My parents house is in the Philly Market while my apartment is in the NY market. When I visit my parents the channels I get just switch to the Philly stations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT