ADVERTISEMENT

0T: Best outdoor tv

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
I am redoing my outside deck and want to put a good tv in. It will be covered by an overhang , but still outside.
Would prefer something I can mount and weatherproof through the winter months.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

I am redoing my outside deck and want to put a good tv in. It will be covered by an overhang , but still outside.

Thanks
If you can keep it dry the temperature doesn't matter.

Reactions: Plum Street

Thanks
We have had a cheap Toshiba TV outside for 7 years. Waterproof cover when we are not watching it. Still works perfectly.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
So maybe just buy something cheap and if it lasts … it lasts . Then replace when needed
I'd me more concerned with keeping it dry. Overhang, possibly a covering but TVs don't suffer in freezing weather. Cheap isn't a bad idea either if you are not using it much but we are approaching baseball, cigar season then the fall season so I use my outdoor TV a lot so I get a quality one because I want a sharp, colorful picture. A plexiglass box would do wonders.

This is what I did. “Outdoor” tv’s are expensive and come with a crappy UI in my opinion. Buy a $150 Vizio on sale, get a good cover for it and bring it inside in the winter is my suggestion. When it goes, buy another.
There is no need to bring in the outdoor TV just because it gets cold in the winter.

Outside TV? TV's are for inside. The great outdoors is for fresh air, playing with your kids, hiking, camping, baseball, football, bike riding, going down the shore, looking at woman in shorts OR bikinis. NOT for TV.

Reactions: Morrischiano
True. I brought mine in because it wasn’t used and in LBI the moisture eats away everything
More like the salt air eats everything. When I tell people this with their masonry they look at me like I'm crazy. But it's true. The salt down the shore is constantly in the air which corrodes metals and decays masonry at an accelerated rate.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone just get a cheap one. The technology is so good that outside of a showroom you won’t be able tell the difference.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
thanks for the advice
Just one caveat, our porch is covered, but fully exposed to the cold. It takes a rare wind-driven rain or snow to hi the covered TV.

We have a very old Sony TV flat screen that we left outside on the pool patio all winter with one of those types of covers, and it should work in the summer. But that TV was going in the trash, and we decided to put it out by the pool just because.

More like the salt air eats everything. When I tell people this with their masonry they look at me like I'm crazy. But it's true. The salt down the shore is constantly in the air which corrodes metals and decays masonry at an accelerated rate.
That’s it. Eats through a Weber grill in 2-3 years, the wheels start falling off

So maybe just buy something cheap and if it lasts … it lasts . Then replace when needed
Bought an LG at Costco for outside use. Bought a storm shell cover and have had no problems.

Neighbor spent thousands on an outdoor tv and has had issues.

Edit: Just saw the price increase on this shell. I bought this exact thing last summer and spent $159 for the 45” box.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Bought an LG at Costco for outside use. Bought a storm shell cover and have had no problems.

Neighbor spent thousands on an outdoor tv and has had issues.

Edit: Just saw the price increase on this shell. I bought this exact thing last summer and spent $159 for the 45” box.
Buying a stormshell today - are assembly and installation difficult?

Buying a stormshell today - are assembly and installation difficult?
Very easy to assemble and install. Mine came in 2 pieces and was assembled in 10 minutes. Installation took about another 20 minutes similar to installing a support for indoor tv find the stud and center on the wall. Make sure power source is close by.

Thanks

A buddy spend thousands on one of those 55' Sunbrite televisions years ago. Said it was once of his worst mistakes he made. Said if he had to do it all over again, he'd just go and buy a solid 55' from Costco or Target that he could get for like $3-400 and if it last 2-3 seasons, great.

Granted, since then, I think the price of those outdoor TVs has come down a lot. I still ended up buying a Vizio for like $200 two years ago and it works fine still for us. I have a cover and it sits under a slight overhang.

Reactions: Plum Street
True. I brought mine in because it wasn’t used and in LBI the moisture eats away everything

Yeah, as with most things metal, the shore weather is gonna tear that up. Normally, I am with WhiteBus, just leave the TV outside during the winter, and it should be fine. But down the shore? If not going to be used for a while, I'd store it inside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT