ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

HA! HA! Gotta make a meaningless inch or so of snow fun. We are at 600+ days and counting on a good storm.
Everywhere around you got 2"+ of snow, so no bust compared to your NWS forecast of <1" and your forecast of all rain. Congratulations!

Somerset County...
Hillsborough Twp 4.0 in 1035 AM 01/07 Trained Spotter
Hillsborough Twp. 3.5 SE 2.4 in 0800 AM 01/07 COCORAHS
2 ENE Montgomery Twp 2.1 in 0700 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter
Belle Mead 2.0 in 0710 PM 01/06 Trained Spotter

2 inches in belle mead..we were out in Hillsborough..no way 4 inches..that had to be in sourlands...note somerville and manville measured 2.3 and 2 so the 4 seems an outlier

2 inches in belle mead..we were out in Hillsborough..no way 4 inches..that had to be in sourlands...note somerville and manville measured 2.3 and 2 so the 4 seems an outlier
We have more elevation on this end of Hillsborough. I had 3" at dinner time, and the snow was still coming down. I'm sure if you used a snow board to measure, or even caught it at its maximum, we'd have gotten 4 or so. Up Zion road, I'm sure they got even more than that.

I didn't check again until 10:00 a.m. the next morning, and it had compacted down to about two inches. Kids happily got some sledding in for the first time in two years.

Edit: Just looked it up, and my house is at 190 ft elevation. The high school is at 95 ft. The top of sourland mountain is 568. There has been a spotter on Zion Road in the past that had frequently reported more than we've gotten, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
We have more elevation on this end of Hillsborough. I had 3" at dinner time, and the snow was still coming down. I'm sure if you used a snow board to measure, or even caught it at its maximum, we'd have gotten 4 or so. Up Zion road, I'm sure they got even more than that.

I didn't check again until 10:00 a.m. the next morning, and it had compacted down to about two inches. Kids happily got some sledding in for the first time in two years.

Edit: Just looked it up, and my house is at 190 ft elevation. The high school is at 95 ft. The top of sourland mountain is 568. There has been a spotter on Zion Road in the past that had frequently reported more than we've gotten, too.
We did not get 4 inches in the center of town in Hillsborough. We were out plowing and the most was 2 or so on the grass.

We did not get 4 inches in the center of town in Hillsborough. We were out plowing and the most was 2 or so on the grass.
Yeah, we always tend to get a touch more than the center of town. Depending on the storm, sometimes that's an inch or so, but in bigger storms it's been as many as 3+ more.

We still have a solid coating over our yard this morning.

There's also measurement differences. I've never liked when people measure on a snow board and clear it off every hour, or whatever. If it snows two inches, then some rain compacts that to one, then it snows two more inches.... To me that's 3" of accumulation, but I can see how that could be measured as 4" of snowfall.

Yes that spotter posts on americanwx

Reactions: RUChoppin
01_08.24_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.7587501f8c44b5b369c68ff45b651524.jpg

I appreciate what both bac and numbers bring re: weather information, and I think their respective biases balance each other a bit - so reading both sides gives a fairly good view of what to expect.

I think the peanut gallery that tags along in bac's wake is toxic, though. I have put several of them on ignore over the years, but there are several others that are valuable contributors in other ways but seem to bring out their worst in the weather threads. I think non-weather disagreements and arguments bleed over way too much, especially as it relates to political disagreements.
This is a great post!

Reactions: RU848789
Even Lee Goldberg was talking about the pattern change to colder weather coming up starting in the wake of Saturday's rainstorm (another 1" or so of rain, ugh), followed by most models showing some sort of winter storm on Tuesday, although way too far out to predict, especially since suppression is a risk with this one given pretty cold air/strong high P to the north, which might keep the precip to our south. The cold pattern looks like it will continue all of next week and probably the following week. Decent pattern for snow, but no guarantees.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT