ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Could the snow drought end next weekend (1/7)? Maybe...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
A possible winter storm thread 6 days out (arriving late Sat with most precip on Sunday) would normally get laughed at (by me, too, lol), but it's been so long since we've even had a decent threat that I figured people might want to know, even if it's a very fragile setup that could easily miss us or bring everyone but those well inland mostly rain. As DT/WxRisk, who has been on top of this threat for days always says, look for all the things that can go wrong in a possible snowstorm forecast, as it's often hard to get conditions just right for snow for the 95 corridor.

In this case, there's not a lot of cold air to work with and the track has to be perfect for us to snow for this potential Miller B storm, in which a primary low approaches from the west (TN/KY typically) and transfers its energy to a secondary coastal low off the NC/VA coast, which becomes the main storm as a nor'easter coming up the coast (pulling in both Gulf and Atlantic moisture feeds), i.e., a snowstorm is a real "thread the needle" situation.

Right now, the latest operational model cycle (12Z, which just came out) shows everything from a major snowstorm to our south (the GFS, with south of LBI getting hit good), to a major rainstorm for 95/coast, but a major snowstorm well inland of 95 and a mix in-between (the UK/CMC) to a major snowstorm for 95 and inland, but mostly rain at the coast (the Euro). And last night's models all showed a major winter storm with similarly varying outcomes, as uncertainty is just too great to make any predictions yet. The important thing is consensus on a storm with the details to be determined later. At this range, the ensemble forecasts are probably better to look at and they're all showing potential for some snowfall, but also some rainfall for most of us.

Good thread on AmericanWx below, and nice NWS-Philly discussion, too. At least snow lovers have something to track. Also, there's a chance of some light snow (<1") on Thursday morning.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic...eases-jan-10-and-beyond-damaging-wind/page/7/

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
900 AM EST Mon Jan 1 2024

LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...

Saturday a secondary front tries to slip southward across the
area just ahead of an approaching low pressure form the Gulf.
Just how much impact this reinforcing front and the high
pressure moving in behind it has could make all the difference
regarding what type of weather the incoming Gulf system brings.
Potential exists for the first significant snowfall in nearly 2
years, but there remains great uncertainty, since lesser impact
from the high to the north may allow the system to stay further
northwest and bring more rain vs snow. Rain of course will bring
its own problems given how wet it has been of late, and onshore
flow will create another coastal flood concern. Bottom line is
there is a definite potential for an impactful system this
weekend, but exactly what flavor those impacts take remains to
be seen. Anyone with plans this weekend should keep very close
eyes on the forecast as there is a high potential for
fluctuations.

A possible winter storm thread 6 days out (arriving late Sat with most precip on Sunday) would normally get laughed at (by me, too, lol), but it's been so long since we've even had a decent threat that I figured people might want to know, even if it's a very fragile setup that could easily miss us or bring everyone but those well inland mostly rain. As DT/WxRisk, who has been on top of this threat for days always says, look for all the things that can go wrong in a possible snowstorm forecast, as it's often hard to get conditions just right for snow for the 95 corridor.

In this case, there's not a lot of cold air to work with and the track has to be perfect for us to snow for this potential Miller B storm, in which a primary low approaches from the west (TN/KY typically) and transfers its energy to a secondary coastal low off the NC/VA coast, which becomes the main storm as a nor'easter coming up the coast (pulling in both Gulf and Atlantic moisture feeds), i.e., a snowstorm is a real "thread the needle" situation.

Right now, the latest operational model cycle (12Z, which just came out) shows everything from a major snowstorm to our south (the GFS, with south of LBI getting hit good), to a major rainstorm for 95/coast, but a major snowstorm well inland of 95 and a mix in-between (the UK/CMC) to a major snowstorm for 95 and inland, but mostly rain at the coast (the Euro). And last night's models all showed a major winter storm with similarly varying outcomes, as uncertainty is just too great to make any predictions yet. The important thing is consensus on a storm with the details to be determined later. At this range, the ensemble forecasts are probably better to look at and they're all showing potential for some snowfall, but also some rainfall for most of us.

Good thread on AmericanWx below, and nice NWS-Philly discussion, too. At least snow lovers have something to track. Also, there's a chance of some light snow (<1") on Thursday morning.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic...eases-jan-10-and-beyond-damaging-wind/page/7/

Area Forecast Discussion

weekend, but exactly what flavor those impacts take remains to
fluctuations.
Byron Miranda from Pix11 mentioned this the other morning. Made me want to turn around and go back to Arizona.

Reactions: RU848789 and Jimpeg

Area Forecast Discussion

fluctuations.
Since you like snow so much maybe consider moving to Canada or Syracuse?

It's 703 days since Philadelphia has had an inch of snow. More then that if they actually measured in Center City.

We’re back! Missed my old friends Miller B, DT/WX Risk, GFS, Euro and 95 corridor among so many others! 😁

Well, as I said in an earlier thread…

While I did prep my snowblower for the season I did NOT pay to have it done.

So that being said I can’t guarantee no snow but assuming (at least around my parts) I won’t get much.

Byron Miranda from Pix11 mentioned this the other morning. Made me want to turn around and go back to Arizona.
DT/WxRisk has been on this threat for a couple of weeks, actually, and seriously barking about it since 12/29, as per the attached video. He's also been calling for the pattern change from much warmer than normal, which we had in December to seasonable to below normal for the end of Dec through January for awhile, which is verifying now and may continue (he's calling for very cold conditions for the eastern US starting in mid-Jan), although on the flip side, he was calling for a cold/snowy December back in November, so he misses big sometimes, too.

Nice update from the NWS-NYC discussing the potential system, multiple outcomes and the high uncertainty this far out, but recognizing the threat for wintry precip.

Attention then turns to the second half of the weekend. While there
is a general agreement on a potential storm system to pass near the
region Saturday night and Sunday, confidence is very low on any
specific impacts including precipitation types, precip amounts, and
winds. The exact timing is uncertain, but appears to occur sometime
Saturday night into Sunday/Sunday night.

The 12z deterministic and ensemble suite includes scenarios that
give the area an all snow event, a mixed precipitation event, or one
that has at least the southern half of the area in plain rain with
potential of wintry precip inland. There are also solutions that
indicate the system passing far enough south that little to no
precip occurs in the CWA. It is important to stress that any of
these solutions are possible, but we cannot say with any confidence
which one will occur. The model guidance is likely to waiver many
times in the next several days as the main southern stream energy is
still over the north central Pacific. The energy looks to reach the
western US Tuesday night into Wednesday. The evolution of the
northern stream over southern Canada is also important to the
outcome from this potential system.

The NBM does indicate a respectable 70 percent chance of measurable
precip (greater than 0.01") during time frame, and about a 50
percent chance of greater than 0.25". Deciding to Cap PoPs off at 50
percent for now given that it is still just under a week out.
Precipitation types will be fine tuned as models converge and
forecast confidence increases.

Reactions: Knight Shift
although on the flip side, he was calling for a cold/snowy December back in November, so he misses big sometimes, big sometimes
That explains a lot. Maybe he shouldn't be on your quotable list!

although on the flip side, he was calling for a cold/snowy December back in November, so he misses big sometimes, big sometimes
That explains a lot. Maybe he shouldn't be on your quotable list!

DT/WxRisk has been on this threat for a couple of weeks, actually, and seriously barking about it since 12/29, as per the attached video. He's also been calling for the pattern change from much warmer than normal, which we had in December to seasonable to below normal for the end of Dec through January for awhile, which is verifying now and may continue (he's calling for very cold conditions for the eastern US starting in mid-Jan), although on the flip side, he was calling for a cold/snowy December back in November, so he misses big sometimes, too.

Nice update from the NWS-NYC discussing the potential system, multiple outcomes and the high uncertainty this far out, but recognizing the threat for wintry precip.

Attention then turns to the second half of the weekend. While there
is a general agreement on a potential storm system to pass near the
region Saturday night and Sunday, confidence is very low on any
specific impacts including precipitation types, precip amounts, and
winds. The exact timing is uncertain, but appears to occur sometime
Saturday night into Sunday/Sunday night.

The 12z deterministic and ensemble suite includes scenarios that
give the area an all snow event, a mixed precipitation event, or one
that has at least the southern half of the area in plain rain with
potential of wintry precip inland. There are also solutions that
indicate the system passing far enough south that little to no
precip occurs in the CWA. It is important to stress that any of
these solutions are possible, but we cannot say with any confidence
which one will occur. The model guidance is likely to waiver many
times in the next several days as the main southern stream energy is
still over the north central Pacific. The energy looks to reach the
western US Tuesday night into Wednesday. The evolution of the
northern stream over southern Canada is also important to the
outcome from this potential system.

The NBM does indicate a respectable 70 percent chance of measurable
precip (greater than 0.01") during time frame, and about a 50
percent chance of greater than 0.25". Deciding to Cap PoPs off at 50
percent for now given that it is still just under a week out.
Precipitation types will be fine tuned as models converge and
forecast confidence increases.
@koleszar , @e5fdny need snowblowers in the ready position!

I remember when someone tried saying highs in the low 40s was cool....now its being touted as a below normal period..

old-lady-at-computer-finds-the-internet.jpg

I’m hoping I can hold off on the Electric 2-stage blower until 2025. Trying to get one more year out of my single stage Toro.

It was a Great New Year's Day for walking.
No wind and mid 40's.
Not a record warm 1966-when I welcomed in the New Year in Times Square-but not bad.

Tonight's 0Z runs still all show a major winter storm with variation of outcomes. Euro/GFS both hammer the 95 corridor and NW of there with 6"+ of snow (less towards the coast), while the CMC has only a few inches along 95, due to mostly rain falling, and 6"+ amounts a bit inland and the UK is even wetter with snowfall only 20-30 miles NW of 95 and no snow along/SE of 95.

Ensembles for the Euro/GFS/CMC all showing at least a few inches along 95, which is a very strong signal for at least some snow. Lots to come and big changes are still possible, so only hacks would put out actual snowfall forecasts right now, but people should start thinking about a potential snowstorm this weekend. The main energy is in the North Pacific right now, but will be on-shore by Wednesday, which is when we should get a better handle on this.

Maybe he could make a New Year's resolution to not be a Weather Thread Debbie Downer. Too late for 2024.
I have a theory.....instead of coming out of the closet and admitting he likes snow as much, or even more, than Ru#s he supresses it and rails against his true feelings.

Cmon man. If one has weekend plans and those plans are adjustable there is value knowing something has an elevated chance of occurring.
You know how these threads work by now. Numbers gives the board a responsible heads up summarizing what could potentially happen. Then Bac and T2K come on here and yank his chain. As the event draws closer or appears it will actually happen, Bac then contributes good observations along with Numbers and other mets on the board.

You know how these threads work by now. Numbers gives the board a responsible heads up summarizing what could potentially happen. Then Bac and T2K come on here and yank his chain. As the event draws closer or appears it will actually happen, Bac then contributes good observations along with Numbers and other mets on the board.
that supports my view

Reactions: RC1978
Cmon man. If one has weekend plans and those plans are adjustable there is value knowing something has an elevated chance of occurring.
bottom line is it might snow but it might end up being snow to rain or all rain. What the models show 5-6 days is not accurate most of the time. Being in the sweet spot today is not necessarily the place you want to be 4-5 days out. I see a bit too much hype on the tv already and that is because of the snow drought lately and they know they can hook people in. Be aware a storm is coming this weekend but no one has a clue right now what is going to happen.

Reactions: Section124
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT