ADVERTISEMENT

Another Big Rainstorm This Weekend (12/17-18)...

inflatable-colossal-snowman-20.jpg

Montclair is littered with these 20 foot tall Christmas snowmen strewn about their yards.
Don’t know how many are punctured, but they’re in crumpled heaps.
It seems blocks mass ordered these guys this year, they appear on ten front lawns in a row in spots…

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Ronnie_B

Montclair is littered with these 20 foot tall Christmas snowmen strewn about their yards.
It seems blocks mass ordered these guys this year, they appear on ten front lawns in a row in spots…
Most probably purposely deflated prior to the storm.

Not a big fan of those things, even less so when a weather event destroys them. But I think the kids like them, so that's all that matters.

Reactions: Jm0513
Rule of thumb is 10" of snow per 1" of rain, so this would've been an insane 20-50" of rain for most, although the colder the airmass, the less moisture it can hold, so a snowstorm likely would've been "capped" at 30-35" due to that. But yeah, we missed out on a biblical snowstorm.
I'm totally good with missing out on this one.

Got an absolutely insane amount of rain. I emptied our rain gauge around noon yesterday as I was splitting wood in the back. I took this shot around 8:30 this morning before I left:

LKHiRjs.jpg

Road Closures​

• Hillsborough - River Rd is closed between Mill Ln and Elm St Bridge.
  • Branchburg - The Studdiford Bridge between River Road and South Branch Road, South Branch Rd/ Chubb Way, Black Point Road, Opie Road, Studdiford Drive, Station Road near the train station, Route 28 near Vanderveer Ave, Old York Road at the Bridgewater Border Lamington Road at Bedminster Boarder Burnt Mill Rd at the Bedminster Boarder
  • Basking Ridge - Several roads are closed due to flooding, including Mt Airy Road and Newell Drive, Valley Road and Mt Airy Road, Hardscrabble and Childs Roads, Acken Road between Spring Valley and Warren Township line, Lord Stirling Road between EEC and Long Hill Township line, Madisonville Road from Verizon entrance to Harding Twp line, Childs Road closed at Route 202
  • Bridgewater - Currently closed roads: Loeser Avenue, Two Bridges (Bridge between Branchburg and Bridgewater on Old York Rd), Old York Road near Maple Street, Route 22 West at Vosseller Avenue
  • Raritan - John Basilone Bridge is closed due to flooding
  • Hillsborough - Amwell Road is closed between Long hill Road and Montgomery Road until further notice.
  • Watchung - Please be advised several Watchung Borough roads are experiencing flooding at this time: Circle, Route 22/Somerset, Route 22/North Drive, Route 22/Union Ave, Bonnie Burn Road South towards 22. Use caution and plan alternate routes.
  • Montgomery - Mountain View Road is closed due to flooding. Do not attempt to drive through flooded roadways.

Parks​

Due to flooding the following Somerset County parks are closed on Monday:

• Duke Island Park
  • Lord Stirling Park trails
  • Natirar
  • North Branch Park
  • Raritan River Greenway
  • South Branch Greenway

Rivers​

North Branch Raritan River at South Branch is at 11.46 feet as of 10 a.m. (major flooding stage).

The Millstone River at Griggstown is at 14.61 feet as of 10 a.m. (moderate flooding stage) just below major flooding at 15 feet.

Millstone River at Blackwells Mills is at 9.38 feet (near flooding stage) but projected to hit moderate flooding at 12.8 feet by 7 p.m. on Monday.

Decent tidal flooding in Manasquan around noon. Brielle Rd was closed from the bridge to 1st Ave. Main St for a couple blocks each side. a number of side streets flooded too.

Of course that doesn't stop the morons from driving thru salt water. Some people never learn or a least not till their car just stops running.

Decent tidal flooding in Manasquan around noon. Brielle Rd was closed from the bridge to 1st Ave. Main St for a couple blocks each side. a number of side streets flooded too.

Of course that doesn't stop the morons from driving thru salt water. Some people never learn or a least not till their car just stops running.
71960960007-monmouthweather-1218-a.jpg

A garbage truck plows through high water along East Main Street in Manasquan Monday, December 18, 2023. Overnight rainfall across Monmouth and Ocean totaled more than three inches in some areas, and storm conditions resulted in flooding and downed trees that have left around 17,000 residents without power.

Surf's up!

71960961007-monmouthweather-1218-d.jpg

Rough ocean surf envelopes the Manasquan side of the inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.

71960955007-monmouthweather-1218-c.jpg

A man photographs the rough ocean surf on the Manasquan side of the inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.

71960957007-oceanweather-1218-b.jpg

Waves crash into the Point Pleasant Beach side of the Manasquan Inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.

Reactions: 29PAS
I know we won't know about precip for Pinstripe but what's the temps expected to be, more like we have in 40s or is the pattern expected to change before then?

A garbage truck plows through high water along East Main Street in Manasquan Monday, December 18, 2023. Overnight rainfall across Monmouth and Ocean totaled more than three inches in some areas, and storm conditions resulted in flooding and downed trees that have left around 17,000 residents without power.

Surf's up!

Rough ocean surf envelopes the Manasquan side of the inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.

A man photographs the rough ocean surf on the Manasquan side of the inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.

Waves crash into the Point Pleasant Beach side of the Manasquan Inlet Monday, December 18, 2023.
"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli."

It was loud all night into today.

My MIL lives along the Rockaway River in Denville and we just found out she has about 2ft of water in her basement. And it doesn't look to her like the river is going down much at all at this point. Sound like they had about 5" of rain.

Surf's up!

The 2nd and 4th pics are extreme examples of you have to be out of your mind screwing with the inlet in bad weather.

Back yard and our detached garage totaly under water in Dunellen. Fortunately the water stopped just short of the house.
Grandkids had delayed opening but we didn’t bother trying to take them lots of roads to other side of town closed and toads out of town too

Can't get out of Wayne to the west: the Pompton and Ramapo rivers have flooded the roads over that way. Fortunately I can still get south to Rte. 80. And, fortunately, didn't effect Tyler getting up from VA last night.

Reactions: batts
The rain burned out my nearly a year old sump pump from continuouus use Sunday night into Monday. My plumber had put in this huge backup battery that saved my basement from flooding. Fortunately, the sump pump is covered by warranty but I have to pay out of pocket for labor.

The rain burned out my nearly a year old sump pump from continuouus use Sunday night into Monday. My plumber had put in this huge backup battery that saved my basement from flooding. Fortunately, the sump pump is covered by warranty but I have to pay out of pocket for labor.
Still worth it though when considering the alternative.

Reactions: batts
@RU848789 less than 10-days out are we ready to look at things yet? Seems to have been holding steady in the low-to-mid 40's but now seeing upper 40's (with "some rain," leftover from Weds, ending early AM)?? Make it happen my friend!!

@RU848789 less than 10-days out are we ready to look at things yet? Seems to have been holding steady in the low-to-mid 40's but now seeing upper 40's (with "some rain," leftover from Weds, ending early AM)?? Make it happen my friend!!
Too soon especially with the pattern likely in flux, plus you don't want the weather I want, lol.

Too soon especially with the pattern likely in flux, plus you don't want the weather I want, lol.
we basically know the pattern...temps in 40s range and a storm is hitting after X Mas, the question is will it be out by the 28th, Long range has been very consistent with a rain event sometime after X Mas. We can pretty much rule out cold conditions and its very likely it will be warmer than the cold Maryland game you labelled cool that barely hit 41

yeah likely that date but whether it lingers more than one day is still too early to determine
I’m not being scientific here but I find that the duration of these events tends to be over modeled. One exception was a winter storm a few years back that refused to leave for several days. Think it may have been 2021.

I’m not being scientific here but I find that the duration of these events tends to be over modeled. One exception was a winter storm a few years back that refused to leave for several days. Think it may have been 2021.
As expected 9-10 days out, models are literally all over the place with moderate rain, light showers and nice sunshine on 12/28 in the afternoon, although all of the major models are showing temps in the 50s, when they were showing temps in the 30s/40s yesterday. It's just not possible to have confidence in deterministic modeling forecasts this far out, plus the ensemble forecasts are usually more useful at this range than the operational models and those are all over the place too. Let's see where we are in a few more days.

Dude that was 2017, almost 7 years ago.
Yeah, noticed that this morning - must've grabbed the wrong pic. Yesterday's surf was truly epic though, as per many articles and social media posts. Here's a great story from surfer.com with pics. The caption for one of them said:

“Best ever day in Jersey?? Definitely in the conversation,” exclaims NJ’s Rob Kelly. “One claim I’m totally comfortable throwing around was [that this was] definitely the biggest surf I’ve ever seen here. Some of the heaviest too. While I definitely saw empty waves as big and perfect as you can ask for at a beach break, it was definitely a challenge with the stiff offshore winds, the outgoing tide all day and the 14-second period. Nonetheless, having the rare opportunity to experience energy like that so close to home made for a really memorable day; even if the majority of the time I was packing giant closeouts or free falling from the lip.”

https://www.surfer.com/features/biggest-swell-hits-new-jersey-shoreline

002-brendantighe-pnn_2156.webp

004-robkelly-pnn_1810.webp

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT