ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Zoagies

Eliminate the bread and it's not so bad. Fat (deep frying) is no longer the enemy, apparently.

Eliminate the bread and it's not so bad. Fat (deep frying) is no longer the enemy, apparently.

Not so sure that deep frying isn't the enemy. Still a difference between healthy fats and sandwiches drenched in cheap, dirty oil. That said, looks delicious.

South Jersey finally has something interesting of its own. Now it just needs to start exporting it to places people actually live :p

Not so sure that deep frying isn't the enemy. Still a difference between healthy fats and sandwiches drenched in cheap, dirty oil. That said, looks delicious.

South Jersey finally has something interesting of its own. Now it just needs to start exporting it to places people actually live :p
Just gotta deep fry everything in olive oil.

Sounds interesting--I'll definitely try it to see what it's like. I actually live right next to Pennsville and had no idea this was even nearby...

Smoke point is too low...
All I know is fat is the new lettuce.

Changed my dietary approach from eating whatever to a diet that's very high in fats, very low in carbs (particularly low in Glycemic load, which tends to parallel low in carbs, but not always). If I DO eat some carbs, I'm actually supposed to eat extra fats to compensate.

I know, sounds all wrong. But after six months with this new approach to eating, the doc took me off the statin I'd been on for years because all my numbers were better than they've been in a very long time.

I eat a lot of things cooked in olive oil or butter. And a ton of meat. Yum.

All I know is fat is the new lettuce.

Changed my dietary approach from eating whatever to a diet that's very high in fats, very low in carbs (particularly low in Glycemic load, which tends to parallel low in carbs, but not always). If I DO eat some carbs, I'm actually supposed to eat extra fats to compensate.

I know, sounds all wrong. But after six months with this new approach to eating, the doc took me off the statin I'd been on for years because all my numbers were better than they've been in a very long time.

I eat a lot of things cooked in olive oil or butter. And a ton of meat. Yum.

I don't mean to keep badgering, but you are still oversimplifying it. Trans fats (fried foods) are still considered terrible for you, and research is up in the air for saturated fats (meats/milk/etc). Poly and mono unsaturated fats, from vegetables, fish, nuts, etc., are the good ones.

It's not an academic distinction because trans fats are what you're going to find in something like a fried hoagie served out of a truck.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Healt...rans-Fats_UCM_301120_Article.jsp#.WIGBibYrK-o

I don't mean to keep badgering, but you are still oversimplifying it. Trans fats (fried foods) are still considered terrible for you, and research is up in the air for saturated fats (meats/milk/etc). Poly and mono unsaturated fats, from vegetables, fish, nuts, etc., are the good ones.

It's not an academic distinction because trans fats are what you're going to find in something like a fried hoagie served out of a truck.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Healt...rans-Fats_UCM_301120_Article.jsp#.WIGBibYrK-o
Good articles. Yeah, trans fat may still be problematic. Since I avoid most processed food, I don't get much of it.

As for meats and dairy, I eat tons of it and my cholesterol and triglycerides went from pretty bad to really good in 3 months, and to great in 6 months. How much of that is due to avoiding carbs and high glycemic load foods versus how much is due to the high fat diet I cannot say. I do eat a lot of walnuts and pecans, which might help. Also eat lots of berries and salads.

Just goes to show you. All the scientists in the world still get it wrong all the time. Bunch of guesswork with religious zeal backing it up. That goes for more than just diet...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT