ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP to Karl Wallinger, frontman of World Party and member of the Waterboys

Not sure how to reply. Is the World Party liberal or conservative?

Once I know that, I can seek a preprogrammed response from my sheep leader and can then post it straight-away so as to devastate those people in the nasty awful terrible really, really bad opposition.

Surely they will be cowering in fear of my pending post, all those nasty, awful, terrible, really, really, bad people.

Reactions: chiphi80
giphy.gif

Not only did we lose Eric Carmen from the Raspberries yesterday, but we also lost Karl Wallinger, multi-instrumentalist member of the Waterboys during their successful early years and then frontman for World Party for many years. Was a big fan of both bands. Sad day in rock and roll.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68540877

Sad.
He was one of my favorites. First bumped into him in The Waterboys, which he left to do his own thing as World Party. Love the albums Private Revolution, Goodbye Jumbo, Thank You World, and Bang.
His stuff always made my cd mixes...with people struggling often to recognize the tune and the artist. They always enjoyed it though.
It's All Mine from Private Revolution is probably my favorite song by him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
Reactions: RUScrew85
I apologize for my ignorance and possible lack of hipness in my musical preferences but I have never heard of Karl Wallinger, the Waterboys or World Party.
However hopefully he will rest in peace.
No need to apologize, but I would say, given that I know you like classic rock, give this 1985 song from the Waterboys a listen. While the band may have been labeled New Wave, many of their songs could easily pass for classic rock/folk rock with superb songwriting and musicianship and this one is their best, IMO (especially if you like some violin, trumpet and saxophone layered on top of a driving, but atmospheric song, with great vocals), and is one of my top 25 songs ever. Karl is the guy playing keyboards on this and adds background vocals. Hope you like it.

No need to apologize, but I would say, given that I know you like classic rock, give this 1985 song from the Waterboys a listen. While the band may have been labeled New Wave, many of their songs could easily pass for classic rock/folk rock with superb songwriting and musicianship and this one is their best, IMO (especially if you like some violin, trumpet and saxophone layered on top of a driving, but atmospheric song, with great vocals), and is one of my top 25 songs ever. Karl is the guy playing keyboards on this and adds background vocals. Hope you like it.

Definitely an 80s sound.
Thanks for posting.

• Haha
Sad.
He was one of my favorites. First bumped into him in The Waterboys, which he left to do his own thing as World Party. Love the albums Private Revolution, Goodbye Jumbo, Thank You World, and Bang.
His stuff always made my cd mixes...with people struggling often to recognize the tune and the artist. They always enjoyed it though.
Actually, I think I first heard both The Waterboys and World Party on WRSU...or possibly WPRB...back when I was still living in Middlesex county.

Actually, I think I first heard both The Waterboys and World Party on WRSU...or possibly WPRB...back when I was still living in Middlesex county.
Both played each artist, as did WHTG (106.3), which started up in 1984. Mainstream rock stations like WNEW played at least a few World Party songs, as several made it beyond the "Alternative" charts into the "Mainstream Rock" charts (Ship of Fools, Way Down Now, Put the Message in the Box and Is It Like Today), with Ship of Fools making the top 40 and the others sniffing at that.

Both played each artist, as did WHTG (106.3), which started up in 1984. Mainstream rock stations like WNEW played at least a few World Party songs, as several made it beyond the "Alternative" charts into the "Mainstream Rock" charts (Ship of Fools, Way Down Now, Put the Message in the Box and Is It Like Today), with Ship of Fools making the top 40 and the others sniffing at that.
Not familiar with WHTG.

World Party's album Goodbye Jumbo was pretty big when it came out. Had several songs on MTV in heavy rotation. This one is one of my favorite songs to this day:

Reactions: Kbee3 and RU848789
I think he meant no one cares except fringe freaks.
At least I wasn't into insipid boy bands like you were in the 80s as a teen. I've heard you can still do the dance moves and lip sync perfectly to Menudo, New Kids on the Block and New Edition. So you got that goin' for ya.

Reactions: Kbee3
Sad.
The amazing thing to me is how many tunes on those four albums...actually I think Bang is an EP....I always enjoy listening to. There aren't too many records where I can let it play through and enjoy just about every song....even still in 2024. The guy was special.

I just re-listened to Goodbye Jumbo this morning. Absolutely one of my favorite all-time albums.
One great tune after another. I actually had forgotten how many there were. Particularly enjoyed And I Fell Back Alone and God On My Side. But most of the rest on this classic album were outstanding as well.
We've lost a genius.
Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT