ADVERTISEMENT

"Out" with no Mag. Same logic dictates "In" with JWill?

The Mag injury absolutely factored into last year's snub, and was stated by a committee member..

This is what he said. Verbatim. It’s been twisted to say that he said the INJURY was a factor in the decision. What he clearly said were the factors were the OOC schedule, our late season slump and the lack of quality OOC wins.

Here is Reynold’s full answer to Steve Torre and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo on Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio when asked what went into leaving Rutgers out of the field and putting other bubble teams like Nevada in:

“These are very difficult situations. It’s challenging because it’s like splitting hairs. Both teams had good years — not great years, but good years. But I will say this: when you look at Rutgers, for example, their non-conference schedule — in particular, their non-conference wins — the committee looked hard at that. They were trying to find something they could really grab to. In the non-conference as it relates to having success in that portion of the schedule, it was lacking. And they certainly had some wins over conference teams, I don’t want to take that away from them. However, when you get to February 7, the team suffered a setback with an injury to a key member of the team and they just didn’t look the same the rest of the year. We had several games we could observe them from February 7 on and they had a difficult time. So we certainly look at the full body of work, but when you look at the non-conference schedule and lack of quality wins (in it), and how they looked down the stretch, the combination of the two were the reason why they were left out by the committee.”

Reactions: Goku
However, when you get to February 7, the team suffered a setback with an injury to a key member of the team and they just didn’t look the same the rest of the year. We had several games we could observe them from February 7 on and they had a difficult time

Not sure how you can read this and think the injury wasn't a factor

However, when you get to February 7, the team suffered a setback with an injury to a key member of the team and they just didn’t look the same the rest of the year. We had several games we could observe them from February 7 on and they had a difficult time

Not sure how you can read this and think the injury wasn't a factor
It was a factor in the collapse. It wasn’t a factor in the decision.

Have some of you people been under a rock ??
The committee puts who they want in and who they want out . Then they cherry pick stats to justify the choices. They will use one criterion for one school and not for another. They are not consistent in the criteria they use. They just try to justify after the facts.

They have also not bothered to watch conference tournaments the last few years. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they out of nowhere use it as a reason to justify a selection when they need to.
Can't argue with this based on last year. Is it the same people more or less I wonder?

Rutgers played badly post injury but not so badly relative to other bubble teams that it should have mattered. Remember Mag went down when the game was 13-12 so that Michigan State game should really have been considered a win without Mag.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F26087dc5-8698-4393-babf-221ce8dff215_280x171.png

Your splitting hairs I think. These are functionally the same thing.
How is saying “it’s a shame your guy got hurt and you lost those games but a loss is loss and you’re out because of your record” the same as “you’re out because your player is hurt”?

How is saying “it’s a shame your guy got hurt and you lost those games but a loss is loss and you’re out because of your record” the same as “you’re out because your player is hurt”?
"the team suffered a setback with an injury to a key member of the team and they just didn’t look the same the rest of the year." Could not be more clear IMO.

They said we weren't the same team and had a bunch of chances to see us play post injury. They apparently thought the team they saw without Mag wasn't tournament worthy

Reactions: Goku and JavaDunk18
This is a crazy statement. People need to always remember that shooting is always very very variable. Yes you have control about the quality of looks you get and give, but at the end of the day it becomes a roll of the dice (not equally weighted) how many shots go in.

You have control of whether you get the horse to water, sometimes you can't control how much it drinks.

We know the program struggles making layups, 3's and foul shots. It always has under Pike. The numbers are shocking.

The bottom line is we are a bad shooting team AND we take too many poor shots.

Having Gavin shoot long 2's off the inbound? Embarrassing.

Giving the ball to cliff when his back is to the basket?

Having Simpson take long 2's in a 1-4 set?

Players taking shots just inside the 3 point line?

Being ok with Simpson driving straight down the line and shooting after not being able to get into the paint?

Mag 100% commiting to taking a shot before he's even taken his 1st dribble?

Big men allowed to lead the break?

The solution is to run even more thru JWill. Doing so will limit the number of low IQ possessions.

The team legitimately is playing for their tourney life with no wiggle room to spare. If they continue to do what they've been doing on offense as a reward for working hard on defense, there will be no post season. If Pike can't get them to see that, there needs to be some major explaining.

They said we weren't the same team and had a bunch of chances to see us play post injury. They apparently thought the team they saw without Mag wasn't tournament worthy
It still amazes me that no regard was given to Paul and Caleb being out for the non-conference. Not that they had to consider injuries at all but they came out brought up Mag’s injury and our non-conference performance within a breath of each other. And we were missing two starters for most of the non-conference too.

It still amazes me that no regard was given to Paul and Caleb being out for the non-conference. Not that they had to consider injuries at all but they came out brought up Mag’s injury and our non-conference performance within a breath of each other. And we were missing two starters for most of the non-conference too.
I still say the reasoning is generated after the fact.

We know the program struggles making layups, 3's and foul shots. It always has under Pike. The numbers are shocking.

The bottom line is we are a bad shooting team AND we take too many poor shots.

Having Gavin shoot long 2's off the inbound? Embarrassing.

Giving the ball to cliff when his back is to the basket?

Having Simpson take long 2's in a 1-4 set?

Players taking shots just inside the 3 point line?

Being ok with Simpson driving straight down the line and shooting after not being able to get into the paint?

Mag 100% commiting to taking a shot before he's even taken his 1st dribble?

Big men allowed to lead the break?

The solution is to run even more thru JWill. Doing so will limit the number of low IQ possessions.

The team legitimately is playing for their tourney life with no wiggle room to spare. If they continue to do what they've been doing on offense as a reward for working hard on defense, there will be no post season. If Pike can't get them to see that, there needs to be some major explaining.
Go to the wisky board and read posts about Pike coaching circles around Gard while you think he's sleeping his way through a 3 game win streak 🤣

Scangg, how often are we gonna go 10 for 17 from 3? What do the wisky fans really know about us? Are my points wrong?

Our defense is on a tear. Opposing fan bases should be impressed by what Pike has the players doing. We have very few breakdowns on defense.

When we don't go 10 for 17, we're going to be looking closer at all of the wasted possessions. We were literally 0'fer on post ups by Cliff and EO against Wisconsin.

Do you really think we consistently get good looks on offense?

Scangg, how often are we gonna go 10 for 17 from 3? What do the wisky fans really know about us? Are my points wrong?

Our defense is on a tear. Opposing fan bases should be impressed by what Pike has the players doing. We have very few breakdowns on defense.

When we don't go 10 for 17, we're going to be looking closer at all of the wasted possessions. We were literally 0'fer on post ups by Cliff and EO against Wisconsin.

Do you really think we aren't getting better looks with JWill now? I can't imagine why anyone would disagree with this

Reactions: Loyal-Son
We are absolutely getting better looks with JWill and I'm calling for the ball to be in his hands even more. That's not gonna be enough to go 7-1. Since we are a bad shooting team, we have to continue to weed out the shots that hurt us the most.

Had we started the year with JWill, I think we could have made the postseason despite being careless with offensive possessions.

We didn’t have to go 10-17 against Wisconsin, 5-17 would have been more than enough.

Reactions: Scangg
If JWill was eligible all season, we would already be a projected 6 seed..

Now it is interesting to see if we could still sneak into the tournament with his very late start..

6-2 is still possible..

Tomorrow night will be key to see if this becomes more so

I do not see us getting a favorable whistle, but think we will still eek out a close win, maybe even in OT..

The fact that we have already won twice with JWill on the road, gives me more confidence that maybe they could get 2 more. Will not be easy with 2 teams with revenge on their mind..

Getting the next two games, will make it very interesting-

The questions are -

1. Does a win at Purdue make a 5-3 finish a bubble resume?
  2. Can a 5-3 finish (w no Q3 losses) be overcome by advancing to BTT semis?

Reactions: Scangg and BillyC80

Now it is interesting to see if we could still sneak into the tournament with his very late start..

6-2 is still possible..

I do not see us getting a favorable whistle, but think we will still eek out a close win, maybe even in OT..

The fact that we have already won twice with JWill on the road, gives me more confidence that maybe they could get 2 more. Will not be easy with 2 teams with revenge on their mind..

The questions are -

I do think, in our case the special circumstances of having such a high caliber player injected into our lineup, that the committee will look favorably on RU if we have at least 18 regular season wins AND make a deep run (finals) in the B1G tourney.

Reactions: Scangg
This is what he said. Verbatim. It’s been twisted to say that he said the INJURY was a factor in the decision. What he clearly said were the factors were the OOC schedule, our late season slump and the lack of quality OOC wins.

Here is Reynold’s full answer to Steve Torre and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo on Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio when asked what went into leaving Rutgers out of the field and putting other bubble teams like Nevada in:

“These are very difficult situations. It’s challenging because it’s like splitting hairs. Both teams had good years — not great years, but good years. But I will say this: when you look at Rutgers, for example, their non-conference schedule — in particular, their non-conference wins — the committee looked hard at that. They were trying to find something they could really grab to. In the non-conference as it relates to having success in that portion of the schedule, it was lacking. And they certainly had some wins over conference teams, I don’t want to take that away from them. However, when you get to February 7, the team suffered a setback with an injury to a key member of the team and they just didn’t look the same the rest of the year. We had several games we could observe them from February 7 on and they had a difficult time. So we certainly look at the full body of work, but when you look at the non-conference schedule and lack of quality wins (in it), and how they looked down the stretch, the combination of the two were the reason why they were left out by the committee.”

Just read the bolded part. He says how they looked down the stretch, without Mag, was one of the two reasons why they were left out. That's as clear as it gets.

Reactions: goru7 and Scangg

6-2 is still possible..

The questions are -

It really depends on the resumes of the teams sitting on the cusp. Relative positioning to those teams is likely what will matter most. If it’s between us and bubblers like St John’s - yeah then I’d think we’d probably be in pretty good shape. Even with that win, I think we’ll have a tougher time moving ahead of many of the mid-majors with gaudy records that maintains a relatively clean profile on the loss side. 14 losses vs say 10 losses is a lot to overcome when only one of your wins pops out as a super win.

Just read the bolded part. He says how they looked down the stretch, without Mag, was one of the two reasons why they were left out. That's as clear as it gets.
I agree. I think he handled this interview poorly, almost like setting a precedent for how the committee will consider how a team finished out the year.

He should have just stuck to the script and said it was based on the full body of work for the whole season.

Instead, he cited a reason for our poor performance at the end of the season was due in part to an injured player (who everyone knew would not be returning).

Big mistake to say that.

I agree. I think he handled this interview poorly, almost like setting a precedent for how the committee will consider how a team finished out the year.

He should have just stuck to the script and said it was based on the full body of work for the whole season.

Instead, he cited a reason for our poor performance at the end of the season was due in part to an injured player (who everyone knew would not be returning).

Big mistake to say that.

While probably not very common, it wasn't exactly unheard of to consider a major injury in a team's evaluation. One of the more famous examples was Cincinnati when Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the first game of their conference tournament, which they ultimately lost. They finished the regular season ranked #1 and were dropped to a 2 seed even though they only had that one game to evaluate the true impact of the injury.

If it was UNC or Duke, they'd be given credit for a strong finish if they needed that boost to get in. I fully believe the committee will not be looking for reasons to include RU.
They have to trim bubble teams. If the other defined selection criteria is outside of being worthy, we won't make it.

Reactions: G- RUnit
We are absolutely getting better looks with JWill and I'm calling for the ball to be in his hands even more. That's not gonna be enough to go 7-1. Since we are a bad shooting team, we have to continue to weed out the shots that hurt us the most.

Had we started the year with JWill, I think we could have made the postseason despite being careless with offensive possessions.
And we have been moving in the right direction. We have seen more ball and player movement. Less uber inefficient Derek going one on one taking double digit shots. Less post touches to Cliff more JWill setting up for easy buckets and dunks etc

We aren't going to go from a 300+ ranked efficiency offensive to a crisp clean elite offense. You need to be realistic with the goal. Things are getting better and you're posting as if it's getting worse

Hyatt has been in a slump but he was close to a breakout game. Noah was slumping forever (1 three was off an Ogbole post assist btw). Mag was in a little slump and finally hit a 3. Gavin probably never shot this bad this long in his entire life... there is hope that better shooting could be incoming... we aren't a good shooting team but we are likely decently better than the 5 game stretch prior to Wiscy

Reactions: goru7

What games have you been watching. ? We won the Maryland and Michigan games hitting 2 and 3 three pointers in those games. We cut our turnovers drastically from first half to second half from 12-2 and 10-3 and then shot over 50% from the field in the second halves , all while playing real good defense.
We only had 5 turnovers in the first half against Wisconsin and had a 9 point first half lead and our best offensive half of the year scoring 37 points and only hit 3-4 threes in the first half. We hit 6 threes in the second half and if they were all 2’s we still would have won by 16. We had 1-2 total turnovers in the second half and ran our offense.
We had about 4 bad shots all game, JMike out of control on the break, first half, Derek out of control on the break , second half , Derek taking an off balance 12 footer when the lob flush to Cliff was there , second half , and Mag started his move and dribble and lost his feet and threw up a ridiculous shot , second half. That was the extent of the bad shots I saw. The rest of the shots were within the flow of the offense even if they didn’t go in.
What did you want to see on offense that you did not see?

We basically must win 7 out of the next 8 games. Short of that, you have to create all these different scenarios for us to dance. I believe this is something the team is capable of now because of JWill.

There is no time for moving in the right direction. We consistent can't shoot so there will not be an elite offense. We need to get the most out of what we have. Even in the Wisconsin game, the announcers and halftime crew were calling out our poor shot selection.

They can scrape an extra 5-6 points by trimming the losing shots. It doesn't takes months of practice. It takes clear direction from the HC. If JWill had 10 more possessions, we are scoring at least another 6 points (makes, drop offs to cliff, kick outs, put backs off his misses).

What games have you been watching. ? We won the Maryland and Michigan games hitting 2 and 3 three pointers in those games. We cut our turnovers drastically from first half to second half from 12-2 and 10-3 and then shot over 50% from the field in the second halves , all while playing real good defense.
We only had 5 turnovers in the first half against Wisconsin and had a 9 point first half lead and our best offensive half of the year scoring 37 points and only hit 3-4 threes in the first half. We hit 6 threes in the second half and if they were all 2’s we still would have won by 16. We had 1-2 total turnovers in the second half and ran our offense.
We had about 4 bad shots all game, JMike out of control on the break, first half, Derek out of control on the break , second half , Derek taking an off balance 12 footer when the lob flush to Cliff was there , second half , and Mag started his move and dribble and lost his feet and threw up a ridiculous shot , second half. That was the extent of the bad shots I saw. The rest of the shots were within the flow of the offense even if they didn’t go in.
What did you want to see on offense that you did not see?
4 bad shots against Wisconsin? Holy hell.

Goru7, you were talking about Simpson's mid range shots being good shots earlier this year and how analytics not being important.

There were an easy 10+.
Simpson pulling it out, going iso and then launching a mid range shots.

Mag taking a mid range on a break (announcer talked about it)

Cliff trying to go coast to coast.

Hyatt not pulling the trigger from 3, dribbling and then taking a 18-19 footer.

2 designed plays to get Gavin long 2 attempts off the inbound.

All inbound passes to cliff when he has his back to the basket and too far from the hoop. His numbers are scary.

Multiple (2?) completely out of control drives (not isolated to the UW game).

I could count Mags embarrassing drive cause he was trying to do something beyond his game. But he was trying to get to the hole and the play was there so I won't count it.

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there are couple more crappy long 2's.

Have to give credit to the team. We do a good job protecting the ball for the season. PSU did a very good job turning us over(20). There were less bad shots cause there were a lot less shots(50).

Goru7, you were talking about Simpson's mid range shots being good shots earlier this year and how analytics not being important.

There were an easy 10+.

All inbound passes to cliff when he has his back to the basket and too far from the hoop. His numbers are scary.

I could count Mags embarrassing drive cause he was trying to do something beyond his game. But he was trying to get to the hole and the play was there so I won't count it.

Have to give credit to the team. We do a good job protecting the ball for the season. PSU did a very good job turning us over(20). There were less bad shots cause there were a lot less shots(50).
There are going to be some bad plays every game. That's just the way it is. Rutgers trending towards limiting them

There were an easy 10+.

You want perfection. It isn’t happening anywhere in college basketball. You trying to critique plays that end with a missed shot. Give me a break. Did you watch Kansas last night get steamrolled by 29 against Texas Tech. How many shots that missed were terrible ? I had no problem with Hyatt’s misses as he seemed to be hunting his shots properly. He also got another 3 in the first half taken away from him on a secondary break with the bullshit foul on Egbole. Cliff was good from in close last night even though he missed 2 leaving them short. They were good shots just that they missed. The 2 out of bounds plays designed perfectly for Gavin were great calls just missed. The same ones he made against Purdue. I really am not sure what you are complaining about. That the shots were missed , the design was bad, or that you never want to see a 2 point shot from 15 ever made by one of our players ? Complaining after a 22 point thrashing of a ranked team that was really never in the game in a coast to coast domination is just very weird. Like I said there were only about 4 shots that were out of control and should never happen. But for the most part there was less dribbling, more quick passing and many assists leading to made baskets.

They don't get to 15 ft.

Designing attempts for deep 2's off an inbound is criminal for a bad shooting team. 2 games in a row our 5 is leading the break. Come on. Simpson thinking he should be going iso for a long 2 is ridiculous now that we have JWill. Cliff is probably shooting around 20% on the season when he gets the ball x feet from the basket yet no one is telling his teammates to stop making those passes.

When a team is full of poor shooters, you can't just let them play. Pike does and that explains our horrific offensive efficiency ranking this year.

If this team doesn't go 6-2 then it wont matter. Getting to 19-12 puts the J Will stuff in play
Agree completely and hope Wachtel and others are right about the team roster at the end of the year being important as clearly we're a much better team with JWill. I had also hoped that last year we'd get the "tiebreaker" in our favor given the stolen OSU game and that didn't happen.

They don't get to 15 ft.

Designing attempts for deep 2's off an inbound is criminal for a bad shooting team. 2 games in a row our 5 is leading the break. Come on. Simpson thinking he should be going iso for a long 2 is ridiculous now that we have JWill. Cliff is probably shooting around 20% on the season when he gets the ball x feet from the basket yet no one is telling his teammates to stop making those passes.

When a team is full of poor shooters, you can't just let them play. Pike does and that explains our horrific offensive efficiency ranking this year.
We have more open looks than almost any team in our conference. Those are good looks. They should be no reason a Division 1 basketball player misses a shot within 8 feet of the basket if he uses the backboard. All of our guards , Derek , JMike and Noah have to use the backboard more and stop the out of control drives. Jeremiah does it under control and you see the difference. Derek has gotten slightly better the last 2-3 games actually looking to dish especially to the wings for 3’s and he just has to improve his lobs to Cliff as does JMike and Noah.
Sorry , totally disagree with your point that Gavin’s shots coming off a double screen on the out of bounds play is a bad shot or a badly designed play by Pike. It is perfectly designed and should result in a basket 60% of the time and if missed the offensive rebound should be available with the defense scrambling. .
You’re pointing to Cliff bringing the ball up is comical as it has barely happened. What has happened a ton before Jeremiah were all guards leading the break in a dysfunctional manner never spacing properly or passing properly to the right person or setting up their teammate for a wide open look. They have gotten better lately but there really should not be any dysfunction this far into the season.

The offense in 4of the last 5 halves has been good. Maybe not as good as you would have liked but 50% against Maryland and Michigan and 44% against Wisconsin is a huge improvement from the 25-30% shooting all year. You are not getting perfection. They do not have Ace or Dylan talent.

Goru7,

"It is perfectly designed and should result in a basket 60% of the time". Lol.

On this Earth, your percentage is a complete fantasy. You must live on a different Earth in the multiverse. 60% of the time, it works every time.

RU gets more open looks than anyone in the country? Find 1 person on this board that doesn't find that to be an insane statement

Goru7,

"It is perfectly designed and should result in a basket 60% of the time". Lol.

On this Earth, your percentage is a complete fantasy. You must live on a different Earth in the multiverse. 60% of the time, it works every time.

RU gets more open looks than anyone in the country? Find 1 person on this board that doesn't find that to be an insane statement
Which part do you disagree with? That we get more open looks than anyone in the country but except for the last 3 games have missed them at an alarmingly high rate or you disagree we get the most open looks. ? We miss more uncontested layups than any team in the country? You are going to disagree with that statement ?

Are you quibbling with the inbounds design ? That it is set up for Gavin ? Or that he has airballed them a lot except for Purdue game ? Or just that that open shot in rhythm should not hit 60% of the time with no one in the players’face ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT