ADVERTISEMENT

Overlooked Fact: We're Closer to Success

Barnaby&Neill

All American
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2010
RU is playing really good defense and has a decent running game.

Last year the team's problem was the sport of football (even the NM win was by lighting up the scoreboard; not a sustainable plan in this league). This year the problems are identifiable: finishing drives, clock management, QB decision making.

If the guys play good defense and run the ball, they will learn to win.

Last year the team's problem was the sport of football (even the NM win was by lighting up the scoreboard; not a sustainable plan in this league). This year the problems are identifiable: finishing drives, clock management, QB decision making.

If you call getting carved up by a MAC QB every third down good defense, then okay.

If you call getting carved up by a MAC QB every third down good defense, then okay.

MAC QB? dude is s 5 year starter he obviously does something right or has been decent to be starting his 5th year. When is the last time we had a defense that's been together that long to be consistently shutting down offenses that they see for the first time week in week out

There were enough negatives in this game already. You don't need to make it worse by making things up. The defense held EMU to something like 4-15 or 4-17 on third down.

The D did enough for us to win this game. Hell, even special teams did better. This teams biggest problems center around offensive execution and questionable coaching/decisions.

There were enough negatives in this game already. You don't need to make it worse by making things up. The defense held EMU to something like 4-15 or 4-17 on third down.

The D did enough for us to win this game. Hell, even special teams did better. This teams biggest problems center around offensive execution and questionable coaching/decisions.

"center around offensive execution"

They scored 16 points and we couldn't.

Reactions: KevH and thegock

I don't think you saw good D today !

For most of the game they were 0 for on 3rd down conversions so at least give them that. This loss is on the offense not the defense
I'd add that they had key successful plays that were essentially rolling dice on timing routes in man coverage... the receivers were covered, not open.. they just took a chance and plays were made.. a couple times they were bailed out by easy PI calls and sometimes questionable PI calls or even non-calls on offensive PI.

We threw ONE such pass. a long completion to TE Washington on what was essentially a fade route to the sideline. We need more of that to punish a guessing defense... and that's what EMU was doing.. gambling, guessing on D and we did not punish them for that. At the start of the 2nd half we had a plan for that.. but there is no reason why we shouldn't have done that in the 2nd QTR or even the 2nd drive.

Their receivers dropped about 5 catchable balls yesterday. If those balls were caught, I would probably say that the 5th year (and former 4 star) QB pretty much carved up the defense. The refs for me was the biggest reason why Rutgers lost (failure to call holding on the Washington pass, hands to the face on the second to last play of the game and some made up offsetting penalties on the Grant return), but it still should not have came down to the refs.

Meh. Schiano sold his vision of the program well. I was onboard when we were getting drubbed by Buffanova.

Ash is a drip. No vision. I don't know if Kill is the answer. He's not an O guy really. Schiano, at least, was a defensive savant.

Reactions: Plum Street
Meh. Schiano sold his vision of the program well. I was onboard when we were getting drubbed by Buffanova.

Ash is a drip. No vision. I don't know if Kill is the answer. He's not an O guy really. Schiano, at least, was a defensive savant.

Schiano: "we're going to win championships", "When it's built, it'll be built to last"
Ash: "We're going to work hard and get better each week"

Ash's vision is to fatten his bank account at our expense.

Ash reminds me a lot more of Shea than Schiano

Thats it, rate our team against a overbliwn was team that Montana did better than us against and a bottom feeder mac school

Lol

lol at this thread.
Fact:
Eastern Michigan had 38 straight losses to Big Ten schools..till Yesterday.
Fact:
Eastern Michigan had lost 58 straight games to power Five schools ..Till Yesterday..
Fact :
Rutgers is now the school they have beaten after all those losses to B10 schools and power five programs..
Please..they are no where near even the top of the Mac.this is a new low for RU football program.

Reactions: MorrisAsh

Please stop! It is insulting. Team is not good. Lost to a team that was 0-58 against P5 teams at home . Can't put lipstick on a pig. Football is in the doldrums. As a fan can only hope they get better

MAC QB? dude is s 5 year starter he obviously does something right or has been decent to be starting his 5th year. When is the last time we had a defense that's been together that long to be consistently shutting down offenses that they see for the first time week in week out

Please . Did you look at the EMU OL.
Three new starters . Not one guy anywhere on their OL who would start in the B1G.

If we can't put pressure on a mid level MAC Team then the Defense is pitiful. Coaching breakdowns, lack of preparation, no motivation, etc..

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Purdue W 44-21
Rutgers L 16-13

You gotta score points. Defense played good enough to win

The EMU QB had all day to throw. And EMU got a lot of flags and dropped balls.

Even a Purdue or Illinois will not make those mistakes and they will destroy us.

Yes the offense is more of a problem but our defense is awful, do not let EMU's self inflicted wounds fool you.

Ohio State's QB will have time to tie his shoes before throwing with our "pressure"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT