ADVERTISEMENT

Pacheco - Props to Rutgers and Greg Again

Is it me or is Schiano especially good at having a positive impact on kids with personal backgrounds like Pacheco?

Because it’s really interesting / impressive what an impression Schiano made on Pacheco. He didn’t even recruit the kid.
Well, I think recruits like Pacheco are tough enough to handle his coaching and the demands of the program. There is a perspective and understanding of the big picture.

Is it me or is Schiano especially good at having a positive impact on kids with personal backgrounds like Pacheco?

Because it’s really interesting / impressive what an impression Schiano made on Pacheco. He didn’t even recruit the kid.
Definitely. When my better half watched this clip, she immediately said almost the same thing about putting young men in a position to succeed in life, whether it is at the next level of football and in life after football. Greg is adept at teaching life skills such as when you are part of an organization: (1) trusting the process; (2) listening to your coaches (supervisors); (3) being a good team player; (4) blocking out distractions and focusing on your job (CHOP). The kind of stuff anybody in any organization can use and adopt to be successful.

If you speak with any former Schiano players the impact he has had on them is real. Not just football but life lessons. The loyalty and admiration for him runs deep .

Definitely. When my better half watched this clip, she immediately said almost the same thing about putting young men in a position to succeed in life, whether it is at the next level of football and in life after football. Greg is adept at teaching life skills such as when you are part of an organization: (1) trusting the process; (2) listening to your coaches (supervisors); (3) being a good team player; (4) blocking out distractions and focusing on your job (CHOP). The kind of stuff anybody in any organization can use and adopt to be successful.
Spot on.

I think Pacheco had the goods even before he got to RU, it didn’t have a lot to do with the “RU culture”. He was recruited by Ash when the RU program was at the bottom. He never wavered from his verbal commitment when other more established programs got involved late. He is a straight forward, loyal guy and I think that comes from the horribly difficult and great adversity he went through growing up.

Schiano is a culture builder. Culture builders make positive impacts on the people they coach. In the end I always want culture builders running programs.
Especially in these times of NIL , transfer portal galore and one year rentals culture takes a hit and a back seat .

Really well said.

Hopefully he can add a little finesse to his running style.
How many years can he do the Tasmanian devil style?
A guy from my HS was OL Pro Bowler in NFL
NY Times did a story on him after retiring and he said he had 20+ operations and could only sleep 3 hrs at a time.
He said his one regret from playing was throwing his body around with reckless abandon.

Pop supposedly missed the last game with "quadricep/shoulder injury."
He only needed 65 yds for 1k yds.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can add a little finesse to his running style.
How many years can he do the Tasmanian devil style?
A guy from my HS was OL Pro Bowler in NFL
NY Times did a story on him after retiring and he said he had 20+ operations and could only sleep 3 hrs at a time.
He said his one regret from playing was throwing his body around with reckless abandon.

Pop supposedly missed the last game with "quadricep/shoulder injury."
He only needed 65 yds for 1k yds.
Couldn't agree more. It's fun to watch him but he has to think about the long term.

Reactions: ashokan
I think Pacheco had the goods even before he got to RU, it didn’t have a lot to do with the “RU culture”. ...
While probably true.. culture can work AGAINST players as well. So "RU Culture" is positive enough for that to have NOT happened. We have seen other coaches' cultures at Rutgers result in problems both academic and criminal. So I don't think it is much of a reach to suggest that a positive culture yields positive results.. even when it deals with recruits who come in with positive attitudes.

Such a likeable dude.

Wasn’t recruited by Schiano and wasn’t even the starter his final year.

Yet goes out of his way to credit Rutgers and Schiano for putting him in a position to be successful.

I think Pacheco had the goods even before he got to RU, it didn’t have a lot to do with the “RU culture”. He was recruited by Ash when the RU program was at the bottom. He never wavered from his verbal commitment when other more established programs got involved late. He is a straight forward, loyal guy and I think that comes from the horribly difficult and great adversity he went through growing up.

I think it could be both, one building on the other.

My bad. Could have sworn he had lost the starting job or his role was diminished.

Not sure why I remember it that way.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT