ADVERTISEMENT

Past QB transfers from RU

Jul 31, 2005
With recent QBs Wimsatt and Simon transferring out, I wondered if any RU QB excelled after transferring out. Tom Savage and Artur Sitkowski had a few good moments. Are there others?

Tom Flacco at Towson. He had played two years at Western Michigan (I think), and then transferred to RU as a walk-on. This was in 2017, back when transfers still had to sit a year. Jerry Kill, the OC at the time, reportedly felt he was the best QB on the roster. But the next year Kill left, Flacco asked for a ship, Ash said no, and Flacco said adios.

At least that is how I recall it.

Then there was Philip Nelson, who did well at ECU. He did not transfer out though. He was booted out, thanks to one minute of drunken madness that nearly ruined two lives.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Tom Flacco at Towson. He had played two years at Western Michigan (I think), and then transferred to RU as a walk-on. This was in 2017, back when transfers still had to sit a year. Jerry Kill, the OC at the time, reportedly felt he was the best QB on the roster. But the next year Kill left, Flacco asked for a ship, Ash said no, and Flacco said adios.

At least that is how I recall it.
He was the Cole Snyder of his time.

GO RU

Yeah right. LMAO
Chad Schwenk was a heck of a lot better QB than Cubit. Cubit’s Dad and Schiano made a real bonehead move.
Cubit had a good career at western Michigan.
Chad should have started the 2001 season .

What are you disagreeing with exactly ??

Reactions: MADHAT1
Then there was Philip Nelson, who did well at ECU. He did not transfer out though. He was booted out, thanks to one minute of drunken madness that nearly ruined two lives.
He was cleared of any wrong doing, it was the guy who got his ass kicked and sent to the hospital that attacked and punched him 1st. He would have helped tremendously compared to what we had.

With recent QBs Wimsatt and Simon transferring out, I wondered if any RU QB excelled after transferring out. Tom Savage and Artur Sitkowski had a few good moments. Are there others?
No, because better qb prospects understandably gravitate towards more successful and better capitalized football programs, like Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan.

NJ hasn't produced great QB prospects as well, and the few that NJ did produce mostly headed elsewhere. It also has hurt Rutgers that we haven't had a strong group of WRs since 2014. That thankfully has changed, beginning this year. We will also have better chances of landing a top notch quarterback once the new Fieldhouse is built. But we will also need people to step up NIL. So our QB history has been much less than illustrious but hopefully that will change going forward.

He was cleared of any wrong doing, it was the guy who got his ass kicked and sent to the hospital that attacked and punched him 1st. He would have helped tremendously compared to what we had.
No, Nelson wasn't cleared at all. The original attacker had been subdued and lying unconscious, and Nelson kicked him in the head. The incident resulted in very serious injuries. However, the case against Nelson was downgraded to a misdemeanor, as the prosecution could not prove that it was Nelson's kick that caused those injuries.

EDIT: The argument that the other guy (Isaac Kolstad) started it, is highly debatable. What happened was Nelson thought some guy was making a pass at his girlfriend. He mistakenly thought it was Kolstad, and confronted him. They had words. Nelson initiated the physical contact by pushing Kolstad. Kolstad then slugged him, and it looked like that would be that. But Nelson's buddy then sucker punched Kolstad, knocking him to the ground, and Nelson then literally kicked him while he was down.

Flood acted correctly in booting him immediately.

Last edited:
Yes of course any QB on our bench or transfers out is our best QB.

Tom Savage played well at Pitt.

2013: In his lone season of eligibility at Pitt, threw for 2,958 yards and 21 touchdowns on 61% passing (238 of 389)...threw only nine interceptions on the year...also rushed for three TDs.

Reactions: mikershoein
FWIW, Chad Schwenk played well for Lehigh.

Lehigh 2002 Season​

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Schwenk, Chad 10 116.28 247-135-10 54.7 1618 11 73 161.8

2003 season ( fractured hand 5th game, end of college career
PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
Schwenk, Chad 5 117.40 178-98-7 55.1 1095 10 46 219.0

talk about a drop in football
To be honest we were pretty much playing at the same level at the time.

I always thought the first mistake GS made was starting Cubit, but did he really have a choice? I always give Cubit huge props for the Tennessee game. We were there and he played great until the SEC officials woke up.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT