ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Mulcahy is the first New Jersey H.S basketball player to AVERAGE a triple-double since 1993

Have we ever had a guy at RU average 10-5-5?

A guy like Steve Worthy comes to mind, getting 5 APG is very hard .

EDIT nope...18.8.....4.7......3.8 his junior year

Reactions: soundcrib
Have we ever had a guy at RU average 10-5-5?

A guy like Steve Worthy comes to mind, getting 5 APG is very hard .

EDIT nope...18.8.....4.7......3.8 his junior year

Closest I found since my era.....1989.

Senior Myles Mack 13.4...4.0...4.2

Went back to the media guide, and we haven't had a ton of top assist guys. Looking at the top 20 in total single season assists, and then breaking it out vs. number of games that season, I found only 5 seasons where we had a player that averaged 5.0 per game.

1. Eddie Jordan (1976-77) 202 (7.2/g)
2. Rodney Duncan (1977-78) 169 (5.5/g)
3. Eddie Jordan (1975-76) 174 (5.3/g)
4. Brian Ellerbe (1984-85) 149 (5.0)
5. Brian Ellerbe (1983-84) 139 (5.0)

In those seasons, the rest of their lines were:
Eddie Jordan (1976-77): 17.7 pts, 4.4 rbs, 7.2 ast
Rodney Duncan (1977-78): 7.1 pts, 2.2 rbs, 5.5 ast
Eddie Jordan (1975-76): 14.1 pts, 3.1 rbs, 5.3 ast
Brian Ellerbe (1984-85): 8.3 pts, 3.0 rb, 5.0 ast
Brian Ellerby (1983-84): 9.0 pts, 2.1 rb, 5.0 ast

Keep in mind, though, that seasons before 1971-72 might have had guys that averaged 5.0/g but didn't make the Top 20 for total assists in a season if they played fewer than 24 games. Those three guys are the only ones to get 5.0/game in the last 48 years.

So, at least since we started playing more than 23 games per year, the closest we've had was Eddie Jordan in 1976-77.

Edit: Also keep in mind this total number of assists / total games the team played, not necessarily total games the player played. If there were 150 assists and 30 games that year, that'd come out to 5.0..... even if the player only played in 25 of those games, and it should have been 6.0

Last edited:
So was the triple double in 1993 from Rhodes? If not, how about Donnell Williams? He was Gatorade NJ POY that year, then went to Seton Hall.

Went back to the media guide, and we haven't had a ton of top assist guys. Looking at the top 20 in total single season assists, and then breaking it out vs. number of games that season, I found only 5 seasons where we had a player that averaged 5.0 per game.

1. Eddie Jordan (1976-77) 202 (7.2/g)
2. Rodney Duncan (1977-78) 169 (5.5/g)
3. Eddie Jordan (1975-76) 174 (5.3/g)
4. Brian Ellerbe (1984-85) 149 (5.0)
5. Brian Ellerbe (1983-84) 139 (5.0)
I'm surprised Rich Brunson isn't on this list. IIRC, he had an excellent season dropping dimes during his senior year (1982-83).

High school assist and rebound stats?
Not saying that this is the situation here but high school stats on rebounds and assists are usually kept by some 16 year old girl who has a clipboard and has a crush on one of the players. One of the assistants has to constantly remind her to pay attention.
Would not put much credence in their accuracy.

Not saying that this is the situation here but high school stats on rebounds and assists are usually kept by some 16 year old girl who has a clipboard and has a crush on one of the players. One of the assistants has to constantly remind her to pay attention.
First, I dont think that's the case with the top high school programs in NJ. Second, theres a whole thread from like two weeks ago where the entire board goes down the path of this argument and it kind of sucked, so hopefully this doesn't turn into a repeat.

Geo Baker averaged 12.2....3.1 RPG and 4.1 ASG this past year.

It's very difficult to get the assist numbers unless you are playing more up tempo....and more tempo leads for more shots per game and usually more rebounds.

There are so many more efficiency rating ways to determine how effective or impactful a player is for his team or how that player impacts opponents.

Mulcahy will have a very good assist total by playing some point, some wing and with more scoring options on RUs roster.

Al Harrington *averaged a triple double* his junior year of 96-97, but I put a lot of credence to @colbert17's point of who was the stat-checker. Heck, it even happens in today's NBA game. The home team keeps the stats for assists and rebounds with an NBA-overlay to review each game before the stats are *official*. Worse problems to be had in this world, I guess. Glad Paul is in the RU program as of late JUNE !!!

I forgot how loaded this St Anthony's team was when Rhodes was a freshman

This game from '89 is online Mike Breem and Don Crique on the call!

Reactions: satnom and truth_KB
None of those guys made the league except for Bobby before his accident.
Think that says great things/and not so good things about his Dad's preparation of kids vs the "win now" mantra; but all of those kids---now men---stayed out of trouble. So that counts as a Win, to me.

Reactions: dkostus
None of those guys made the league except for Bobby before his accident.
Think that says great things/and not so good things about his Dad's preparation of kids vs the "win now" mantra; but all of those kids---now men---stayed out of trouble. So that counts as a Win, to me.

Terry Dehere was a first round pick of the Clippers and played 7 seasons in the NBA. Didn't have much of a career but he was there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/deherte01.html

Reactions: satnom and dkostus
Rodrick Rhodes was a first round pick, and a bust at NBA level

I once had 19 solo tackles in a game. I must have led the state that year. Yes, the 16 year old girl keeping the stats had a crush on me. Thanks for the memories.

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
First, I dont think that's the case with the top high school programs in NJ. Second, theres a whole thread from like two weeks ago where the entire board goes down the path of this argument and it kind of sucked, so hopefully this doesn't turn into a repeat.

Doesn't have to be a girl with a crush to question the validity of high school stats. I was covering a high school baseball game the other day and was quite surprised to see the winning team had 23 stolen bases, including one kid with 8. Looking at my scorecard (I score every game I cover in every sport and ignore the online sites, which are awesome for stats these days but highly questionable for this reason), I figured out that some yahoo gave the kid credit for a steal every time he moved up on a wild pitch. And yes, I know if he was running on the pitch it's normal to give him credit for a steal, but I pay attention to that.

High school stats at the basketball factories are fine. Otherwise, well, not so much.

The point is that even with countless others having their stats bumped up, they still don't avg a triple double. If mulcahy didn't avg it, he was at least extremely close to doing so. Not sure why this is so tough to understand for some of our fans. If it was easy or if the numbers are fudged to the extent that some make it seem, many other high school players would receive that achievement.

If he averaged 9 rebounds and 9 assists per game it doesn't make it any less impressive.

Rodrick Rhodes was a first round pick, and a bust at NBA level
Rhoderick was a tremendous talent that then went on to play for Pitino at Kentucky. Played with Jamal Mashburn then fell out of favor with Pitino and transferred to USC where he got into some trouble. Kid was a McDonald’s AA and the best player in the country coming out of HS. I attended Bob Hurley’s camp after 7th and 8th grades. Almost went to St Anthony’s until I saw the school and the academics there. Bob Hurley Sr is a legend in my book. He helped turn the lives of a lot of youth for the better.

GO RU

Reactions: toby83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT