ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Note To / From Jerry Izenberg

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart
Re.: the dean' of journalist's article on Duke's Coach.

MO

==========================================================
Loved Your Article...Still Hate Duke

Jerry

Two things of interest as a follow up.

There was a center on the Army team named Joe Halloran also from Chicago who played with Mike and was coached by Bobby Knight .

Joe was 6 foot 7 or or 6 foot 8....a very big man. Also very bright, funny and competitive. We used to play some game (Catch Phrase) that was tied to a child like timer that buzzed when time was up to answer and win the point. Joe enjoyed dragging his feet / giving the correct answer and then passing the plastic “buzzer” as it was about to ring - frustrating his opponents as he smiled . Somehow that image seems appropriate for Coach K as well e.g. "Duke doesn’t accept transfers …but about 20 years ago Dhantey Jones left the Banks for the Tobacco Triangle".

Then there was another Rutgers connection . Coach Foster who literally took a team no one had ever heard of and made it 3rd place in the NIT’s in 1967. Lloyd, Valvano we’re the stars ….then he moved on to Duke.

So thanks for the article …but the snarling angry manipulative bully is also part of Duke’s and Coach K’s legacy : Pass!

Sincerely

Paul A. M. aka RutgersMO
PS I got to know Joe in 2012 through 2020 when I moved up to the Portland OR area. He passed in January 2020 -pre Covid.

=====================================================================================
On Mar 17, 2022, at 10:33 AM, Jerry Izenberg

Thanks for the great note .

I remember the Dhantey Jones incident. And I remember coach Foster. I graduated from New Brunswick's stepchild--the cement campus in downtown Newark. The Loyal Sons never admitted it but the first ,1000-point scorer in Rutgers history was Burt Geltzeiler ( a 6-3 center) at Newark-Rutgers,

My first significant Rutgers athletic experience was in the fall of 1948. Newark students got fre football tickets. The first college game I ever saw Brown beat Rutgers 20-6. The Brown quarterback was Joe Paterno, the Rutgers qb, Frank Burns. Both became close friends of mine years later. Stay well--Jerry

=========================================================
Jerry

Thank you for your reply

I attended Rutgers Newark for my first two years 1964-1966 And then transferred down to the big campus at New Brunswick 1966–1968.

I don’t know what ‘s in store for Rutgers football or basketball but I’m really glad that we have Schiano and Pike guiding the ship.

All of this seems somewhat inconsequential as we listen to Zelensky giving speeches to world leaders an de facto assuming a position of diplomat emeritus.

Hopefully will all be able to enjoy sports again more fully as opposed to being diverted by the realities of war.

Hope you’re doing well keep writing very enjoyable… Zy ga zundt.

Paul aka Mo
PS Did you know a student at Newark (Dana) named Ted Mitchell and his wife Wanda. They were friends of my parents: Bearnard / Selma M.
Thank you for your intellect and heart: you're a mensch!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT