ADVERTISEMENT

Phase 2 details

Sounds like the field house replacement for the bubble will be the next big one. Hobbs says it will be cheaper to do than Iowa's as there is no need for locker room, coach office, and some other items already in the Hale Center. I looked it up and it appears that Iowa's field house cost $55 million. So it could be the new facility for Rutgers will be in the $20 - $30 million range.

If nothing else, based on what Hobbs has already done, facilities should not be a hindrance on the football program moving forward.

Sounds like the field house replacement for the bubble will be the next big one. Hobbs says it will be cheaper to do than Iowa's as there is no need for locker room, coach office, and some other items already in the Hale Center. I looked it up and it appears that Iowa's field house cost $55 million. So it could be the new facility for Rutgers will be in the $20 - $30 million range.

If nothing else, based on what Hobbs has already done, facilities should not be a hindrance on the football program moving forward.
Yes, but Iowa is in...Iowa. A bare bones steel hangar structure for us with non-insulated walls and a properly draining field will cost $50MM.

Why does the field have to drain?
Not sure, but it might have do with the 1994 construction of Rutgers Stadium. The concrete structure of the North endzone took away the ability of the natural gulch to drain the fields where Yurczak and the Bubble are. Even though this is a covered facility, to ensure everything is nice and dry, they’d still have work to do below-grade because of the high water table.

Not sure, but it might have do with the 1994 construction of Rutgers Stadium. The concrete structure of the North endzone took away the ability of the natural gulch to drain the fields where Yurczak and the Bubble are. Even though this is a covered facility, to ensure everything is nice and dry, they’d still have work to do below-grade because of the high water table.

It sounds like the plan is to build it where the bubble currently sits. If drainage is not a problem now, I don't know why it would be with the new structure.

It sounds like the plan is to build it where the bubble currently sits. If drainage is not a problem now, I don't know why it would be with the new structure.
Haven’t been in there in years, but I remember it being a bit of an older turf field. I wouldn’t think they’d use the same field.

Haven’t been in there in years, but I remember it being a bit of an older turf field. I wouldn’t think they’d use the same field.

Even if they replace the turf, if it does not have a drainage problem now why would it when you are basically re-carpeting the field?

Especially once those town permits discussed in the other thread are added in.
In case this is not a sarcastic/ironic point I'l say it again.
The towns have no say over what happens in a State facility on State land.
Not what concerts we don't book into the RAC, nor what booze we do, or don't, sell in the Stadium.
We have to meet State standards, building and safety codes, as examples.
But local zoning and inspectors do not apply.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Even if they replace the turf, if it does not have a drainage problem now why would it when you are basically re-carpeting the field?
I assume you’d put Fieldturf in there. It’s not like the old astroturf carpets. It’s just a part of the proper installation process. If you’re upgrading the fibers and the infill, you should update the foundation too. Like if you re-tile a bathroom, you’re not just going to pull up the old stuff and slap thinset snd new tile down. You ensure the subfloor is secure and screw that down, then new cement board or isolation membrane etc.

I guess you don’t have to do it this way, but if you skimp now, it there’s something wrong later, you’ll pay extra to dig it all up and re-install.

In case this is not a sarcastic/ironic point I'l say it again.
The towns have no say over what happens in a State facility on State land.
Not what concerts we don't book into the RAC, nor what booze we do, or don't, sell in the Stadium.
We have to meet State standards, building and safety codes, as examples.
But local zoning and inspectors do not apply.

It was sarcastic, but I believe you are correct. It's a good thing too -- Rutgers would probably never be able to make a move to do anything if the towns had a say.

LOL. If built in Iowa with Iowa labor sure. You'll be lucky to get the project as described for the full $55M in NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT