ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Fleck...

Nice for the league to see Minnesota (and Indiana) go on the road and win games against P5 opponents. He'd probably annoy me after a while, but it's not like he's all style and no substance. The man can recruit, and the man can coach. Combine that with a cupboard that was not bare, and the Gophers will be OK.

Not going after Fleck was an huge mistake on our part.
HUGE mistake..all because some people in charge at RU didnt want any connection to the Schiano tree!
PJ is a media hit everywhere,his personality promotes his program..and he has built a top 25 program from nothing prior at Mac level and is 2-0 at Minny..
Good forward thinking for those in charge to break so free of the Schiano tree..Brilliant!

Expect he followed Schiano to the NFL, which is why we were left with Flood.

Christ, how do people forget things like this?

If Pernetti had had an eye for young coaching talent, he would have offered the job to Fleck instead of Flood and no question Fleck would've taken it. Although I'm sure many would've said he wasn't ready yet to be a head coach in 2012 - same could be said, though, for Flood.

Reactions: drewbagel423
If Pernetti had had an eye for young coaching talent, he would have offered the job to Fleck instead of Flood and no question Fleck would've taken it. Although I'm sure many would've said he wasn't ready yet to be a head coach in 2012 - same could be said, though, for Flood.
Fleck credit his coaching development to GS. That Fleck was not anything like the Fleck now. It was a mistake not going after him after Flood but not before Flood.

Man I wish Bob Stoops left Oklahoma , not because of wanting to retire, to take his dream job as the as the HC of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
I'd sooner have Stoops that have Fleck row row row the RU boat , because I might still have to go through my 99 bottles of beer on the wall ( with PJ) I go through watching RU games, like the one against EMU.
With Stoops it will be only CCC ( Cigars > Champagne & Caviar )[winking]

Fleck would have stayed if offered the HC job,but instead we got Elmer Flood.
Chance #2 came 1.5 years ago and gain RU leadership dropped ball on Fleck,Schiano and even Narduzzi.You get what you pay for,like Maryland and Minny did.

Reactions: redking
Fleck seems to be the flavor of the week lately after a long line of others who have since gone into oblivion.

He hasn't done anything on this level yet but so many are willing to anoint as "man he's so awesome." I'm sure many here were doing the same at 7-0 with Flood. We know how most of them feel now. Let things play out and see where his tenure ends up. He's also taken over a team that won 8-9 games over all 3 out of the last 4 years and .500+ in conference 3 out of the last 4 years. So IMO that's probably a baseline of where he should be. If he can get to double digits well that would be an improvement over where they've been in recent times and something of a little substance. But even then it still would only be one year. Should I dub Lincoln Riley the next Bob Stoops after the impressive win at Ohio State?

The best you say is good start, good year, etc.. but you can't go act like this guy is the 2nd coming until some time has played out in a tenure. Just like some start out crappy and turnaround, some start out quick and fizzle out. Who's to know without the benefit of time.
I've never been a fan of him because of the antics and always wonder what substance is behind them. Plus I'm not a fan of the coaching model either, specifically if you don't have the deep pockets. IMO coordinators are extremely important in that model....both of them.

It's like a poor man's James Franklin (although he was actually a coordinator) or Dabo Swinney. Look at how badly Franklin struggled with Donovan as his OC even though Franklin was an OC himself, but he found Moorhead and had the budget to get him and keep him. Dabo had some of the highest paid coordinators in college football in former OC Chad Morris and current DC Brent Venables. Ed Orgeron is another now at LSU after his failed stint at Ole Miss. He's got the highest paid assistant in Aranda (my fave to be our HC last year) as his DC and another highly paid one they snagged from Pitt as OC in Matt Canada. If these guys didn't have deep pocketed programs I wonder how successful they'd be.

Minnesota isn't "poor" by any stretch but doesn't have those kind of deep pockets and we certainly don't. I will say though Fleck has two coordinators who likely aren't pining for HC jobs so he can probably keep the band together if they do well. Ed Warriner OC from Ohio State/Kansas and Robb Smith DC from Arkansas/Rutgers.

Point is he's off to a 2-0 start, that's nice but let's see if he can build on what he was left this year and beyond. Consistency on this level is what will judge how good he is.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Should we bring up the job asst turned head Coach D.J. Durkin is doing at Maryland both recruiting and winning games on field? Last year a bowl game,this year 2-0 ,with a road win at Texas?

D. J. Durkin
Current position
Team Maryland
Conference Big Ten
Record 8–7
Annual salary $2.5 Million

Expect he followed Schiano to the NFL, which is why we were left with Flood.

Christ, how do people forget things like this?

You and your facts... no one cares, Feelings are more important.
3492351.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT