ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rutgers Basketball lands San Diego transfer wing PJ Hayes

We will find out soon enough.

This is going to be Pike's toughest year coaching ever. He got bit last year with "new landscape" AND a rancid shooting team. It is obvious he has adapted...how does he get the new pieces to play the way his program likes to play?
Typically this would mean a rough start and a team that shows improvement late in the year. Could mean a rough go of it in the Vegas tournament.

Looks a bit like JJ McCarthy, QB from Michigan

i
ul8jh8xa9chlvwff8vza.jpg
Just to be clear, one of those pics is not McCarthy right?

Or is it? Eerily similar.

Only seeing one year at San Diego, but he's a Senior, I assume he played JUCO?

40% 3 pt shooter. 80% ft. Looks good.

He played at a DII school.

He averaged 45% there the year before transferring to San Diego. Kid can flat out shoot and that’s not likely to be impacted that much when he’s open. Even if he doesn’t get open, that’ll at least mean Dylan and Ace can’t be doubled when he’s in. Have to respect his shooting ability.

Defense will be the question but I like the idea of him being a veteran senior. Not the most athletic but I’m expecting him to be a smart player.

Anyone know how the rest of the game is? Is he a situational role player 3pt zone breaker type, or can he play D, rebound, etc.?
He's here for 1 reason and that's to be a spot up 3 point sniper

His advanced defensive stats are horrific and now he has to guard wings in the B1G which is a bit scary

I saw 2 advanced defensive metrics where he was really really bad. Worse than Gavin defensively in the same metrics by a substantial margin

On the flip side his offensive metrics are excellent. His catch and shoot 3 percentage is like 94th percentile or something insane. So he's exactly what we need on the offensive end

He will be a bench rotational 3 point shooter floor spacer. Hopefully Pike can coach him up on D so that he's at least mediocre

His advanced defensive stats are horrific and now he has to guard wings in the B1G which is a bit scary

I saw 2 advanced defensive metrics where he was really really bad. Worse than Gavin defensively in the same metrics by a substantial margin

On the flip side his offensive metrics are excellent. His catch and shoot 3 percentage is like 94th percentile or something insane. So he's exactly what we need on the offensive end

He will be a bench rotational 3 point shooter floor spacer. Hopefully Pike can coach him up on D so that he's at least mediocre
I would toss individual attempts at quantifying defense mostly in the trash. An exception might be quantifying a big's ability to get blocked shots.

I would toss individual attempts at quantifying defense mostly in the trash. An exception might be quantifying a big's ability to get blocked shots.
Definitely not perfect but if you're an extreme outlier it can't be good

Hopefully he at least understands positioning, rotations, concepts

He's definitely not the quickest. Wonder how he looks defensively if you actually watch a full game to get a better sense

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Like this guy's game and the fact that he climbed all the way to the big 10 from D2. Definitely a hard worker with confidence in his self. And his shot looks good when it comes off his hands. Also a good finisher around the rim. Team definitely has some guys that can put the ball in the basket this year. We will find out about the coaching staff this year. If all these new guys still produce the same Rutgers style defensive intensity while being able to score. It should be a good year.

I think Hayes will be able to put a body on someone. Don’t expect him to be Mag out there, but I think will be solid enough to get minutes. He won’t be a complete negative like Gavin was on that end

Nice pickup. I was worried we would be shut out of getting this piece of the puzzle at this point. We only fall short by not having Cliff but maybe we'll be that team that has a magical run. A bunch of other Jersey teams have done it. Maybe this year it's our turn.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think Hayes will be able to put a body on someone. Don’t expect him to be Mag out there, but I think will be solid enough to get minutes. He won’t be a complete negative like Gavin was on that end
I was thinking how many of the guys we are bringing in are more offensively oriented vs’s our teams with Johnson, and McConnell and Mag which had such a defensive identity.

Lets see if Pike can coach them up on the d side of the ball.

Reactions: GRU23
It's not his size that's a concern on defense. It's his lateral quickness to keep wings in front of him

Unless he plays the 4 as some have mentioned but seems unlikely

It's not his size that's a concern on defense. It's his lateral quickness to keep wings in front of him

Unless he plays the 4 as some have mentioned but seems unlikely
Don’t think it’s that unlikely. Play him with Ace and everything is fine

So I saw the same info but I also went and watched some highlights from San Diego opponents to watch his flawed D. St Mary’s is a good one to watch - his metrics absolutely took a nose dive in that one. Look - he gets beat on the perimeter - there’s no doubt. But he wasn’t close to the worst defender on San Diego. Their post defense was truly horrible. A help defender on any servicable defensive team would’ve bailed him out on many of them. San Diego seemed to have played no help D at all. Oddly - I think (though not with great confidence) he will be better here. Meaning - while not a plus defender, not as much of a liability. I’d be way more comfortable if we still had Caleb.

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT