ADVERTISEMENT

PJ Hayes at Work

Still can't see how we have a successful season with Hayes playing like 5mpg and having one 3pt attempt a game.

If he can shoot, he needs to play and shoot often to create space for Ace/Dylan and make the defense account for him off ball.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Try a 1-3-1 defense with Dylan H. up top, Ace at the foul line and Martini down low. Wings could be P Hayes and J Will. On O they would get buckets.

In a 1-3-1 defense your quickest player is at the bottom, to cover the corners, to run baseline on defense - height is not a major issue at the bottom, you want speed. Your quickest LONG defender plays at the top of the 1-3-1. Your LEAST mobile player is in the middle at the foul line.

So, a couple of years ago, Mag played the top, Omoruyi was in the middle, and Baker or McConnell was at the bottom, with Mulcahy (and his length) at one wing and Baker or McConnell at the other wing ... great length at the top and wings for traps.

In your hypothetical line-up, Martini would 100% be in the middle and Williams or Harper might be at the bottom with Bailey or Williams at the top and Hayes and whoever is not at the top and bottom at the other wing.

But, frankly, that is not the best line-up for the 1-3-1. The best 1-3-1 line-up probably has Bailey, Davis (Davis at the bottom chasing - quickness and speed being more important than height in that role) ... Martini or Ogbole or Somerville in the middle ... and I think Derkack or Williams would be fine on the wings ... maybe Bailey or Williams at the top. OR ... this could be a role for the 6'9" to 6'10" Dortch off the bench at the top or the wing ... for his length and athleticism. Hayes would NOT be a good fit in a 1-3-1 defense.

Just saying ...

FYI ... I believe Hayes WILL get more than 5 mpg - maybe 10-12 mpg, and hopefully 4-5 3 point shots a game, which might translate to maybe 6-7 ppg as a designated sniper? There are just not enough minutes around for everyone to get playing time.

So ... a variation of what I have posted previously (some slight changes) on potential minutes:

IF ... you presume Bailey and Harper get 30 mpg (I had previously had them at 28 mpg):

Starting Guards - 55 mpg:

Harper - 30 mpg
Williams - 25 mpg (allows him to push hard, hard, hard on defense, allows for some fouls)

Reserve Guards - 25 mpg - Davis, Acuff and Derkack (if he plays Guard) have just 25 mpg to share:

Acuff - 15 mpg (I had been at 20 mpg previously ... Harper's and Bailey's extra minutes cost Acuff some minutes)
Davis - 12 mpg (I see an important role for Davis ... if he actually shows he can shoot, he takes more minutes away from Acuff)
Derkack - 3 mpg (spot minutes here, maybe)

Starting Forwards - 50 mpg:

Bailey - 30 mpg
Martini - 20 mpg

Reserve Forwards - 30 mpg ... Derkack and Hayes plus Dortch/Grant have just 30 mpg to share:

Derkack - 12-15 mpg
Hayes - 12 - 15 mpg
Dortch/Grant - 3 mpg (spot, emergency, for specific roles ... or red-shirted)

Centers - 40 mpg:

Ogbole - 15 mpg
Somerville - 20 mpg
Martini - 5 mpg (spot, if foul trouble, and in deliberate line-ups for situational line-ups)

I could absolutely see RU wanting at least ONE of Martini and Hayes on the floor at all times - because of the 3 point shooting threat.

Reactions: RUby RED
In a 1-3-1 defense your quickest player is at the bottom, to cover the corners, to run baseline on defense - height is not a major issue at the bottom, you want speed. Your quickest LONG defender plays at the top of the 1-3-1. Your LEAST mobile player is in the middle at the foul line.

So, a couple of years ago, Mag played the top, Omoruyi was in the middle, and Baker or McConnell was at the bottom, with Mulcahy (and his length) at one wing and Baker or McConnell at the other wing ... great length at the top and wings for traps.

In your hypothetical line-up, Martini would 100% be in the middle and Williams or Harper might be at the bottom with Bailey or Williams at the top and Hayes and whoever is not at the top and bottom at the other wing.

But, frankly, that is not the best line-up for the 1-3-1. The best 1-3-1 line-up probably has Bailey, Davis (Davis at the bottom chasing - quickness and speed being more important than height in that role) ... Martini or Ogbole or Somerville in the middle ... and I think Derkack or Williams would be fine on the wings ... maybe Bailey or Williams at the top. OR ... this could be a role for the 6'9" to 6'10" Dortch off the bench at the top or the wing ... for his length and athleticism. Hayes would NOT be a good fit in a 1-3-1 defense.

Just saying ...
What intrigues me about Ace at the foul line is that he completely eliminates the skip pass over the D due to his length and athleticism.

Didn’t Pikiell say he envisions Ace at the top of a 1-3-1 zone?

I can also see Bryce Dortch at the top of the zone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT