ADVERTISEMENT

Players: 8, Coaches and staff: 12

Days to first game: 100
and to add bodies to roster so staff doesn't have to suit up for practice.
Let the walk-on come in for that with a chance to earn a schollie and provide depth
during games so the rotation of 8 can make it through the game without tiring out completly

and to add bodies to roster so staff doesn't have to suit up for practice.
Let the walk-on come in for that with a chance to earn a schollie and provide depth
during games so the rotation of 8 can make it through the game without tiring out completly
i assume they still have male practice players, so no need for staff to suit up

Reactions: ScarletteK80
i assume they still have male practice players, so no need for staff to suit up
you're right about the staff not needing to suit up, but having walk ons will help during the games as well by giving the rotation 8 short rests and play when game is out of hand so rotation players don't have to play garbage minutes and possible injuries cause by being tired out

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I feel bad for CW…tough spot to be thrown into. Best wishes coach W!🤞😬🤞
Cringe Reaction GIF

Reactions: njcanesfan
you're right about the staff not needing to suit up, but having walk ons will help during the games as well by giving the rotation 8 short rests and play when game is out of hand so rotation players don't have to play garbage minutes and possible injuries cause by being tired out
Quite a few years ago with a lot of injuries CVS added two team managers to the roster / I remember they got in for a few minutes, think it was in a BET game.

My gut tells me 1 or 2 late grad transfers and then walkons. About 30 days until the start of the semester.

A nice guard that CVS recruited but ended up going to UVA. She would still have 2 years left. She'd be worth it to have a talented and experienced guard on the roster.

Shemera along with Jiselle Thomas(ETSU), would be perfect fits to jumpstart the RUWBB resurgence.

The other young lady I mentioned from Ariz. St. has just signed with BYU.

A nice guard that CVS recruited but ended up going to UVA. She would still have 2 years left. She'd be worth it to have a talented and experienced guard on the roster.

Shemera along with Jiselle Thomas(ETSU), would be perfect fits to jumpstart the RUWBB resurgence.

For what it's worth, she is being followed on Twitter by Nikki McCray.

At Virginia: Made her collegiate debut at Rutgers, scoring 14 points (12/5). Maybe she likes the rims...😀

Last edited:
Reactions: zebnatto

Scratch another PG off the wishlist.

Anyone know if we were actively recruiting her? If we were and she spurned us for Southern Illinois University that might be a bit concerning unless there is some connection there.
I doubt it, as I think there may be baggage based on a couple articles I Googled. Nothing definite, but the fact that her career path was Virginia, USC and then SIU is indicative I suspect.

I trust the current coaching staff would not pass up someone they thought would help to rebuild a culture in what is, after all, a rebuilding / remaking year, as much on the "culture" side as the basketball side.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and RULoyal
I doubt it, as I think there may be baggage based on a couple articles I Googled. Nothing definite, but the fact that her career path was Virginia, USC and then SIU is indicative I suspect.

I trust the current coaching staff would not pass up someone they thought would help to rebuild a culture in what is, after all, a rebuilding / remaking year, as much on the "culture" side as the basketball side.
IMO, Something is there. Before this final decision to SIU she was committed to Marquette for a while. Coach Nikki McCray followed her in Twitter so Rutgers may have kicked the tires.

The choice of SIU is one that is reasonable if you think about the new coach who comes from a winning P5 SEC program in Texas A&M, and is well-respected. Shemera's transfer pattern is not much different than numerous other student athletes who have decided to come back close to home. SIU is pretty close to home, relative to where she has been.

The move from UVA's struggles is understandable, and it looks like she just never got going at USC, for whatever reason and there's been a lot of change there in the past year or two. From what I understand, Shemera was slated to go to Marquette out of HS but decided on UVA when Coach Krieger left Marquette for Penn State. Some Marquette fans were upset with her for reopening her recruiting.

SIU may end up with a better team than we put on the court this year. 😬 They beat Illinois last year.

I also saw some suggestions of baggage with her when I googled. No substantial explanations to back anything up though. I did see that she's been dealing with the loss of a dear family member(brother??, not sure) who was lost in a car accident, since about 2019.

Hope she can put it all together at SIU and reach her full potential on and off the court. Gives us a reason to check in on the Salukis this year.

UConn is able to get a PG from Portugal to replace Paige. She is immediately able to play. I’m still disappointed that we could not secure a couple of players.

Reactions: RUcrazee
UConn is able to get a PG from Portugal to replace Paige. She is immediately able to play. I’m still disappointed that we could not secure a couple of players.
I am not quite sure Rutgers is on the Uconn level. I am not sure if anyone is on the Ucon level in terms of national or international reputation over the long haul.

We have some work to do to get to UConn level, but I understand RUfanDNT's feelings on adding 1 or 2 players of need. Over the last month there have been more than a handful of SR/grad transfer point guards that were in the portal. May not be the most elite but they would have filled a big hole in our roster. And they didn't come across as culture killers.

I'm just curious to know if the staff has been still heavily pursuing talent for this year or if they shut that down to focus solely on future recruits. Coach's last comments about picking up a couple walk-ons would lead one to think she was okay with things where they currently stand.

Would love to know what coach is planning for the floor general role. How good are Abby and Kai's handles? They didn't seem to handle the ball much in the game footage I saw Erica usually passed the ball like it was a hot potato in her limited appearances the last two years. I don't remember her dribbling much at all. I'm thinking it may come to the freshman, Smikle, playing point forward. She may be the strongest with the ball at this point.

Reactions: JEDN and RUfanDNT
We have some work to do to get to UConn level, but I understand RUfanDNT's feelings on adding 1 or 2 players of need. Over the last month there have been more than a handful of SR/grad transfer point guards that were in the portal. May not be the most elite but they would have filled a big hole in our roster. And they didn't come across as culture killers.

I'm just curious to know if the staff has been still heavily pursuing talent for this year or if they shut that down to focus solely on future recruits. Coach's last comments about picking up a couple walk-ons would lead one to think she was okay with things where they currently stand.

Would love to know what coach is planning for the floor general role. How good are Abby and Kai's handles? They didn't seem to handle the ball much in the game footage I saw Erica usually passed the ball like it was a hot potato in her limited appearances the last two years. I don't remember her dribbling much at all. I'm thinking it may come to the freshman, Smikle, playing point forward. She may be the strongest with the ball at this point.
We won't have to wait long to see what the plans are. Any new transfer will need to be enrolled by the start of the Fall Semester...about 10 -12 days away.

Coach Kelly B-W trying to make a case for a big time HC position?? Doing a good job of setting the tone with this fairly strong recruiting statement. Also just signed a 1st team, all-conference player from TCU. It will be interesting to see how their summer recruiting efforts(her and staff) work out for this upcoming season and next.

Funny how RU wbb tradition/history is tied into so much of the overall landscape. Didn't realize she played on T Grentz' best Univ. of Illinois teams.

Twenty plus years as Gary Blair's assistant. Hope that is not the road Chelsea is headed down....That's why, as many suggested(especially ScarletteK80), it would have been nice to see her get the chance that Tim had with our program. A chance to prove she's ready now.

BTW, .....last I'll mention Shemera and the Salukis. Time to get back to our own team

This is a real mystery to me. What am I missing here? How can the staff be so confident with such a short roster? Eight really puts these young, inexperienced players' health at risk.

I still say that 'Walk-on' advertisement was a huge mistake. Yea, it let those candidates know of the opportunity.....but more importantly, I think it may have turned-off some potential recruits who may have been trying to give us a serious look.

We have some work to get to UConn level? Wow your optimism is boundless. 🫣

I'm thinking Coach CW isn't going to fill this years roster with players she's unsure of and is willing to suffer the consequences that comes with a small roster..
But of the opinion she'll go hot and heavy using the portal for next season while working to gain the confidence of the local HS coaches..
Letting it be known she's not haphazardly building a program to fill roster spots , but building the type of program that will last and being picky about who she brings in.

I know some have been saying Coach likely was not willing to take in players from the portal over these summer months because....she's going with the current group who she can trust. Bringing in someone else could throw off the culture she's building.

My thinking is that when we last heard her speak, she said they hadn't spent a lot of time together as a team because of the recruiting trips and gym-time restrictions only allowed something like 4 hours a week with the team.

I say, she doesn't know who she can trust on this roster anymore than she would a person they'd have followed, interacted with, and tried to bring in via the portal this summer.

I understand being picky, but with the numbers in the portal, I would have thought she could find pieces that fit what she wants and that would allow for the season to not be played in dysfunction of a lack of players. That can't be good for the culture she wants to build, right?

I know some have been saying Coach likely was not willing to take in players from the portal over these summer months because....she's going with the current group who she can trust. Bringing in someone else could throw off the culture she's building.

My thinking is that when we last heard her speak, she said they hadn't spent a lot of time together as a team because of the recruiting trips and gym-time restrictions only allowed something like 4 hours a week with the team.

I say, she doesn't know who she can trust on this roster anymore than she would a person they'd have followed, interacted with, and tried to bring in via the portal this summer.

I understand being picky, but with the numbers in the portal, I would have thought she could find pieces that fit what she wants and that would allow for the season to not be played in dysfunction of a lack of players. That can't be good for the culture she wants to build, right?
Portal transfer or walkons. Any additional player could throw off the culture once they are part of the team.

Going with 8 makes zero sense. Just about every team has an injury or 2.

Also, it's not like each new member of our coaching staff came from some other profession or something. They all were in positions where they have knowledge of the recruiting landscape. They have some knowledge of these names that have been in the portal. So they are not starting at ground zero.

Between the four of them, besides Cammie, not one guard was a fit?

I wonder if Cammie not working out( for whatever reason), or some experience at PSU has caused Coach to be extremely, if not overly cautious.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Also, it's not like each new member of our coaching staff came from some other profession or something. They all were in positions where they have knowledge of the recruiting landscape. They have some knowledge of these names that have been in the portal. So they are not starting at ground zero.

Between the four of them, besides Cammie, not one guard was a fit?

I wonder if Cammie not working out( for whatever reason), or some experience at PSU has caused Coach to be extremely, if not overly cautious.
Could be past experience has made CW overly cautious on who she brings in when trying to change the culture she inherited and one that's a far cry from RU's glory days.
In the short term , keeping scholarship player roster ridiculously small will be a recipe for losing..
But if ( and a big if at that) losing in the 2022-3 season doesn't hinder bringing in portal players
she feels will be a fit for her program and getting HS coaches to buy into what she's doing to the program, RU WBB might just be a destination to go to for HS talent rather than a questionable program that sees to many on it's roster looking for a new home that needs to be avoided by the better HS players and portal entrees
This could be a step back to gain solid footing before trying to leap forward

Anyone who judges CW on this season only is making a big mistake. Because she is clearly accepting a likely poor year in favor of how she sees the future. There probably was nothing she could do that was going to make this a good season.

I'm not claiming her decision was the right one, only that it clearly "is" her decision and the proof point will be several years in the future.

Because she is clearly accepting a likely poor year in favor of how she sees the future. There probably was nothing she could do that was going to make this a good season.
I hear what you're saying but don't see how this line of thinking prevents a coach from adding necessary players. With everything you're saying here, it would still be a huge benefit to be able to conduct normal practices and have normal gameplans, and better protect players from getting injured.

You both sound like she is and should be trying to make this as bad a season as possible so we can go forward. ???

I don't understand that. We still have to pay to see the games this year right? You have a fan base that is willing to be patient but is, at the same time, hungry to see the team take forward steps. Many feel it has fallen to rock bottom at this point. Why do we need coach to make matters worse by not rounding out the roster.

The reasons stated against filling the spots(pg and post help) don't make sense to me. Top programs, uptrending programs, midmajors, everybody has done it(as was pointed out with UConn's guard additions), ...If they are willing to risk their culture or team chemistry, then who are we to be trying to play it so safe that we don't take a chance on anybody in the portal.

In this day and time in big-time sports, seems like all coaches are on short notice, except the still active, legendary ones. Even if a coach is told they have plenty of time to turn it around, trust that the clock is ticking from day one. And this first year will be counted whenever the evaluation time comes.

I hope that Coach is not taking the approach of this being a throwaway year,.... before the season even starts. IMO, no great coach operates that way...............Did I say that already in an earlier post? Sorry, if I'm being repetitive.

I hear what you're saying but don't see how this line of thinking prevents a coach from adding necessary players. With everything you're saying here, it would still be a huge benefit to be able to conduct normal practices and have normal gameplans, and better protect players from getting injured.

You both sound like she is and should be trying to make this as bad a season as possible so we can go forward. ???

I don't understand that. We still have to pay to see the games this year right? You have a fan base that is willing to be patient but is, at the same time, hungry to see the team take forward steps. Many feel it has fallen to rock bottom at this point. Why do we need coach to make matters worse by not rounding out the roster.

The reasons stated against filling the spots(pg and post help) don't make sense to me. Top programs, uptrending programs, midmajors, everybody has done it(as was pointed out with UConn's guard additions), ...If they are willing to risk their culture or team chemistry, then who are we to be trying to play it so safe that we don't take a chance on anybody in the portal.
You missed my point. I don't know that her choices were the right decision. I specifically didn't say it was or wasn't. What I said is it is her decision and we won't know if it is right or wrong for a number of years.

I do feel sorry for the fans who probably are not going to have a very good season, although it is also far from certain that adding players would necessarily make a lot of difference.

You missed my point. I don't know that her choices were the right decision. I specifically didn't say it was or wasn't. What I said is it is her decision and we won't know if it is right or wrong for a number of years.

I do feel sorry for the fans who probably are not going to have a very good season, although it is also far from certain that adding players would necessarily make a lot of difference.
After reading your post again, I understand your point and agree 100%. You clearly weren't backing 'her decision'. And I also agree, and would never suggest that CW be judged solely on this season.

In regard to whether adding players would make a difference,....the goal, in my mind, would be for general team function (practice, sub relief, efficiency purposes). IMO, all those things matter in terms of developing the players we have on the roster and helping the team take forward steps, not only for this season, but also those to follow.

It was never with the thought that it would put us in the Top 10 or anything. If it did, that would be just fine with me too.☺️

Personally, I'm just of the thinking that you do the very best you can with what you have at your disposal every year. As a fan, I'd be okay with the results, win or lose, as long as I felt like the coach was operating out of this mindset.

Work to reach your full potential as a team and play to win. We'll live with the results. Don't handicap yourself unnecessarily. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Zutorya Cook, highly-touted PG out of HS.....committed with GTech back in 2016. Evidently, changed course and chose the military.

Hard to find info. but it appears she has played for the All-Marine Women's Bball team.

Zutorya Cook, highly-touted PG out of HS.....committed with GTech back in 2016. Evidently, changed course and chose the military.

Hard to find info. but it appears she has played for the All-Marine Women's Bball team.

If a transfer has not enrolled at Rutgers by the last day of add/drop which is today, 9/15, then they will not be part of the roster this year.

You could now check to see if any of these names you are posting are enrolled at Rutgers or not.

Could be past experience has made CW overly cautious on who she brings in when trying to change the culture she inherited and one that's a far cry from RU's glory days.
In the short term , keeping scholarship player roster ridiculously small will be a recipe for losing..
But if ( and a big if at that) losing in the 2022-3 season doesn't hinder bringing in portal players
she feels will be a fit for her program and getting HS coaches to buy into what she's doing to the program, RU WBB might just be a destination to go to for HS talent rather than a questionable program that sees to many on it's roster looking for a new home that needs to be avoided by the better HS players and portal entrees
Called it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT